2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (anotherscott, 1903wrightflyer, accordeur, barbaram, ando, Abdol, Ampersand, b4xter, 11 invisible), 526 guests, and 589 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BbMajor Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone

I have ordered a new U3 piano and I would like to put it where I have my digital piano as this is the perfect location within the room. However I have an upright radiator here and the piano would end up only a few inches (maybe 6 at most) away from it. I am guessing this could cause me issues if I put it here. The room is very well insulated as it is a room within a room created for soundproofing purposes so really there are no true external walls.

The radiator never gets that hot but do I have to rethink placing the piano here?

Last edited by BbMajor; 01/10/21 05:09 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
If you go to google and type “piano next to radiator” you can find 5 billion message posts and web pages telling you not to do it.

Sounds like you already know the answer.

B
BbMajor Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yeah I did search in google and there are lots of posts about being near or in front of huge radiators pumping out significant heat. Couldn't find anything like this kind of flat vertical radiator that resides in an extremely well insulated room.

My digital piano feel no warmer to the touch on the side near it than the side away from it. But maybe that is still irrelevent. I am unsure, hence asking here.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I looked at the picture, You can put something between the piano and the radiator to prevent the warmer air to reach the piano, a plywood with reflective material. Measure the temperature around the piano.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

T
T
If your piano doesn't stay in tune or the soundboard/bridges crack then you'll know keeping it by the "small and not hot by touch" radiator was a bad idea. Or you could just move it away from there now and be able to sleep at night and won't need to keep extra plywood around.

Last edited by TimM_980; 01/10/21 11:36 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
OP, please don't do it. Unless the radiator is never used. If you can turn that off, and use an alternate source of heat, you would be better off.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BbMajor
The radiator never gets that hot but do I have to rethink placing the piano here?

I would suggest re-thinking it. You should also consider (if you have not already) stabilizing the humidity in the room. That will bring great benefit over time.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
"Piano placement" and "near radiator" are words which ideally should not appear together in a sentence. However...

Sometimes architectural reality imposes a less-than-ideal circumstance. If you can't move the radiator or turn it off, and there is no other location for the piano, the best option is a two part approach:
1) Interpose insulation between the radiator and the piano. This could be something as simple as leaning up some pink insulation board the height of the piano from the floor at the bottom of the piano up to the wall behind top of the piano. Or, baseboard radiation can be "boxed in" with pink board and painted to match the surrounding decor, or, pink board (or eq.) can be mounted to the back of the piano and held off with spacers so that sound can project off the soundboard.

2) Install a complete Dampp Chaser system. (Which is a good idea anyway in most any climate where homes have radiators)

I have done this where moving the piano or heat source was not a possibility and find the pianos to be surviving over the long haul.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Keith gives good advice.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I have two pianos near to radiators (one 6 inches away, one two feet away) and the radiators are firmly OFF. There is no way I would put a piano six inches from a working radiator.

B
BbMajor Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the input everyone.

I think that had it been a very old piano and/or a radiator pumping out significant heat and/or that I could feel the current piano getting even noticiably warm from the radiator then I wouldn't have been asking, what to some, may seem like an idiotic question.

It seems that is definitely not worth taking the risk despite the fact it is not an easy room to change things around in. However, the consensus here is clear and this kind of investment warrants a redsign on the layout of the room.

Many thanks once again.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
👍👍

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You could buy an infrared thermometer and measure the temp of the radiator and the surface temp of the piano to see if there's any effect as the heat cycles on and off. As a test, try hanging a piece of aluminum foil between the piano and radiator to measure the shielding effect, that would tell you whether a solution would be easy to make. You can also use a small low speed fan to circulate the warm air around the radiator away from the piano, that would probably make the room temp more uniform anyway. Radiators don't do a very good job providing uniform temperatures in a room. It's worth checking the humidity if you haven't already done that, hot water heat usually results in really dry air. You can also run hot water heating systems at lower temperatures, assuming it's your house and you have access to the furnace.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Bb, is there just the one radiator in the room? If it's not too much of a labour, it would be interesting to see a sort of sketch of the layout of the room. Then people might be able to give you more specific advice.

Good thoughts from MarkL.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I have the same problem and my (less temporary than I expected) solution is just to have the radiator turned off. The real, and normally pretty easy, solution is to move the radiator to a location distant from the piano of course but, in current circumstances, I don't want anyone inside my house doing that.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
In the final analysis, if there is in fact no other solution, then I would suggest 1.5"-2" foam insulation board inserted between the piano and the heater. This stuff is quite effective and would shield the piano from the brunt of the heat coming from the radiator. But then still actively monitor the situation and be prepared to make changes if necessary.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Hi,

I have a similar problem. I am thinking to place my new baby grand with the keyboard at a distance of 1,2 meters from the radiator (I would seat between the radiator and the keyboard). Do you think it is still too close? Eventually, I can decide to keep the radiator closed.

"I tell my piano things" I do not to tell to everybody.
smile
Frederic Chopin (revisited)
A
A
2m should be good

Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ambrozy
2m should be good
On the European continent the ',' is used as a decimal separator. So 1,2 is not 1 or 2 Metres. In UK and US terms it is 1.2Metres
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
A
A
I'm from Poland and somehow I didn't understand it as 1,2m haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Here's how piano music evolved over 200 years...
by FredVinerPiano - 05/14/21 09:49 AM
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,925
Posts3,093,402
Members101,516
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission