2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (David Boyce, chopin_r_us, barbaram, clothearednincompo, Frédéric L, apollo_ff, FinnP, Greta99, FrankCox, Doug M., 8 invisible), 387 guests, and 562 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
P
I love hearing the recordings of your lovely Steingraeber upright. Beautifully done and thank you for sharing.

After a long search I recently bought my first grand piano, a 1981 Steinway Model O. Even though it's old, with some flaws, I fell in love with its warm and beautiful tone. It's currently interstate undergoing some restoration work.
S
OP Offline
S
♫🎄 Recording #15 "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey

Aside from being deeply grateful that my family and I are healthy and I'm still gainfully employed, I'm incredibly thankful that my Steingraeber's held its tune without any maintenance this year. I used the past couple of days to figure out a cover to Music Lab Collective's acoustic version of Mariah Carey's classic. May the strong festive spirit bring everyone a safe, healthy, and happy holiday and new year!

As usual, the recording is best enjoyed with earphones, headphones, or your excellent stereo speakers.

Set up details
Microphone: My Zoom H4n Pro's built-in XY microphones were squared and positioned 60 cm from the floor and about 40 cm away from the strings, which were exposed after removal of my piano's lower front board. The microphones were set to 90º.

Format: I recorded in wave format at 48 kHz and 24 bit. No post-processing.

Sharing: I directly uploaded the wave file to avoid duplicate lossy compression from sharing services.

S
OP Offline
S
Recording #16 "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groan

Best enjoyed with earphones, headphones, or your excellent stereo speakers.

Set up details
Microphone: My Zoom H4n Pro's built-in XY microphones were squared and positioned 60 cm from the floor and about 30 cm away from the strings, which were exposed after removal of my piano's lower front board. The microphones were set to 90º.

Format: I recorded in wave format at 48 kHz and 24 bit. I trimmed it in Garageband and saved it as an Apple Lossless (aif) file. No other post-processing.

Sharing: I directly uploaded the aif file to avoid duplicate lossy compression from sharing services.

Z
Z
Thank you so much for these beautiful recordings. I just discovered them. Now I get to understand why Steingräber pianos are praised so often. Really very lovely singing smile

One question: Would it be possible for you to upload one picture of your setting (how exactly you set up your Zoom H4n pro)? I just received mine today but well, the first recordings were too harsh. Why do you record your Steingräber from the bottom? I thought it’s best to record from above with the upright open...

I will listen to your recordings with headphone next. I’m sure then the sound comes across even better smile

Edit: Boy, does the Seingräber sing! Of course your playing perfectly demonstrates it’s great character. smile

Last edited by zeitlos; 02/20/21 07:59 AM.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
I too have enjoyed following this thread over the long haul! But especially the last couple posts.

If I can offer up a sentimental sidebar...

"All I Want for Christmas is You" was one of my wife's seasonal favorites, so naturally mine too. We enjoyed Mariah Carey's recording as well as Michael Bublé's. Since she passed away 3 years ago it's taken on a whole new significance, because I'd give anything and everything to have her back. Your instrumental version, the piano's tone and tempo... it really moved me.

We also went to see Josh Groban in concert at my wife's request. She had rebounded after a really difficult year of treatment and after finally recovering from multiple surgeries and complications. Things were looking up! But it turned out to be the eye of the storm, so to speak. Her cancer returned a month or so later. We still had a year together, but this was probably the last time we planned an outing in advance. Unfortunately, her treatment ramped up again quickly. And a year later she was gone. All that to say, the Groban song touched me too.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your recordings.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I can understand Retascal how then this music would have affected you. There is nothing like music to bring back so much memory and and memory of emotion so instantaneously. It could be happiness, joy or sorrow., But the moments, and memories become more real even more so than the present moment. Human life is complex.
Thank you Silverprint for your sharing your music and your beautiful piano with us.!

Last edited by Lady Bird; 02/21/21 03:36 PM. Reason: missing text

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Yes, Lady Bird. Music is definitely powerful.
It can transport you instantly to another time and place...

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NV10S/NV5S will be released on 21st
by robinlb - 05/18/21 04:13 AM
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,001
Posts3,094,783
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission