2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
The very precise nature of the Yamahas and Faziolis appeals to me. They are both clear and powerful pianos, not quaint and restrained like some European brands.

Seriously, how much better are the Faziolis than the new Yamahas? Are they a lot better? Or just subjectively different? Would it be worth waiting to save up the difference? Or is the Yamaha S7X as good as anything out there (as James Pavel Shawcross asserts)?

Also, future question - buy Fazioli 228 now, or keep saving for Fazioli 278?

I feel like if I was going to save for my ultimate piano purchase, it would be a pity to get the 228 as the 278 would blow it away in the bass. But also a bit concerned about having such a large, loud concert grand in a small apartment if a career opportunity came up in Hong Kong or Singapore.

On an unrelated note, a local piano dealer in Sydney has a Bluthner 280 for sale. It's a former floor model from 2008. Don't know how much they want for it. But when I played Bluthner in the past I found them to have a "quaint" sound, whereas the music I play calls for a more brilliant and powerful sound (Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, Medtner). Also, tuning the high treble using tunelab is painful - so finicky - so why in the heck would they put a FORTH string up there? Good grief...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Only you can decide. In terms of the size, unless your home is gigantic many would say a 9' piano could overwhelm the space. Why are you not considering the Yamaha CF series?

C
Online Content
C
"how much better are the Faziolis than the new Yamahas?" Define better. Better action? Better finish? Serious question.

Ultimately, it's the piano you love to play. The touch, the sound, and so on. I wouldn't buy one just because it is considered in some way "better".

I bought a new Grotrian years ago. Beautiful finish, tone ok but a heavy action which eventually got me down. One day, I tried out an early 80's Yamaha C7. I loved it and still do. The build quality does not compare to the Grotrian, but when I'm playing, who cares.

You are sure fortunate to be choosing between two such beautiful pianos. Either way, you are a winner.

Sydney's not that far from Adelaide. Just saying.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
I have an F228. It’s that much better in my opinion, but I may be biased. Once you can try one, you can decide. I have tried other examples I was less fond of, but all are excellent, as I am sure the Yamaha is.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I think both Fazioli and the S7x are great instruments. They are different, but their character has similarities.

I don’t think you are in a position to make a bad choice. Play, enjoy, and in the end, buy what you love.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I don’t think you are in a position to make a bad choice. Play, enjoy, and in the end, buy what you love.

So that you will love what you bought!

Learner
W
W
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Why are you not considering the Yamaha CF series?

pianoloverus makes a very good point. I think you should definitely consider Yamaha's CF series, Sonepica! I fell in love with a Yamaha CF6 a couple of years ago and I'd still say to date that it was the finest piano I've ever played (and I've played a lot of pianos...). The same day I spent hours with Steinway Model Ds, Bs and As and the CF6 blew all of them out of the water some how.

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I don't understand the CF4 and CF6. In my experience size is one of the biggest determinants of a quality tone, particularly in the base. For example the C6X/S6X are far inferior to the C7X/S7X in the base. I would never buy an S6X for this reason. The CF4 and CF6 are smaller pianos than the C7X and S7X, yet more expensive. They must be for people who want a really nice piano but who don't use the base notes?

Last edited by Sonepica; 02/19/21 02:02 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I think both Fazioli and the S7x are great instruments. They are different, but their character has similarities.

If it's not clear that one is better than the other, then the S7X wins, doesn't it? It's much cheaper.

Originally Posted by Sonepica

If it's not clear that one is better than the other, then the S7X wins, doesn't it? It's much cheaper.
Not at all. Rich said they're both great pianos but that doesn't mean the OP might not like one more more.

I don't understand the CF4 and CF6. In my experience size is one of the biggest determinants of a quality tone, particularly in the base. For example the C6X/S6X are far inferior to the C7X/S7X in the base. I would never buy an S6X for this reason. The CF4 and CF6 are smaller pianos than the C7X and S7X, yet more expensive. They must be for people who want a really nice piano but who don't use the base notes?
Size is not the only thing that determines the quality of tone even in the bass. What about design, quality of the materials, quality of the work, preparation, etc.? Plenty of pianists are more than satisfied with shorter pianos, even (gasp)piano less than 6'. If everyone approached piano purchase with the same criteria as you, Yamaha wouldn't sell any CF4s or CF5s.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The CF6 is my favorite Yamaha, even though it's smaller then the S7X.

But the Fazioil 228 is ..............well best to play one and let me know what you think in comparison. wink

I spoke with Pierre, he's getting an F212 in early April...it has my name on it. grin

Keep saving. You only live once and that Fazioli is waiting for you.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hmmm, what about a Yamaha CF6? Or maybe a CFX if room is not an issue. I played a CF4 and found it fantastic. The CFs are the top tier Yamahas, so they could be a better comparison to the Fazioli. Whatever you buy you will be buying a beautiful instrument.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
How long would it take you to save the difference in price for a F228? Personally, I'd rather purchase a piano now and enjoy it rather than postponing it for too many years. You only live once.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Faziolis are constantly improving so you will notice the difference when you can afford one.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
The very precise nature of the Yamahas and Faziolis appeals to me. They are both clear and powerful pianos, not quaint and restrained like some European brands.
I have never heard anyone else describe any European brands as quaint and restrained. It's hard for me to imagine someone finding the larger models of most European pianos lacking in power and most have a clear tone.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Put Hamburg C-227 and Bosendorfer 225 to your list, and just follow your heart. BTW, to me, Fazioli 228 is far much better than Yamaha S7X. It's a work of art, like Hamburg Steinway and Bosendorfer.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
Put Hamburg C-227 and Bosendorfer 225 to your list, and just follow your heart. BTW, to me, Fazioli 228 is far much better than Yamaha S7X. It's a work of art, like Hamburg Steinway and Bosendorfer.

Do people consider Bluthner to be in the same league as these pianos? According to Larry Fine, Bluthner is also a Tier one piano. Yet it seems to be rarely mentioned on these forums.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh

If anyone has been on PW long enough you have heard me say that my personal favorite model of piano in the world is the Bösendorfer 225. I did not bring that up because that was not the OP’s question.

But if I were to add a suggestion, that would be it.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission