2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by master88er
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Originally Posted by gnuboi
A better question would be do most students, even those who can go on to conservatory, need that authentic grand action?

In the case of those who will go on to study as piano majors (particularly in performance degrees), yes. At least, a good quality one that's in a decent state of regulation.

It is helpful to have access (you don't have to own one) to 7-9 foot grand pianos in advance of recitals/festivals/competitions, so you know how they're going to behave.

The great British teacher/composer Tobias Matthay said that there are nine distinct sounds one can get from an individual note, based on how a pianist strikes the key / hand position/ wrist position etc. Without a properly regulated grand action, I would bet that figure would change drastically cry

Once the hammer leaves the jack it is in free flight. Therefore the only things that can change the sound of a piano note are:

- Speed of key depression
- use of 'una corda' pedal
- use of sustain pedal

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Davdoc
A better question would be do most students, even those who can go on to conservatory, need that authentic grand action?

In the case of those who will go on to study as piano majors (particularly in performance degrees), yes. At least, a good quality one that's in a decent state of regulation.

It is helpful to have access (you don't have to own one) to 7-9 foot grand pianos in advance of recitals/festivals/competitions, so you know how they're going to behave.

I would also second what terminaldegree said.

It does not take a particularly "virtuosic" passage to require this rapid repetition characteristic of a grand action. A trill asking for low volume (e.g. mp and below) would be hard to execute when the keys have to go all the way up.

You are mistaken in your belief that the keys on an upright have "to go all the way up". In the case of my Blüthner can fast repeat after 1/3 way up.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GPP
Thanks for answers to all of you. I was out of this site for two days (huh, another young pianist competitiona and another first prize :)). Meanwhile, we took a different option which should be maybe not the optimal but more like an investment. After hours spent in the store (Kawai and Steinway dealer - together with Boston and Essex) we are close to make a decission which is opposite what I stated in upper posts .... the decission is to go for the grand piano, the model in the focus is Kawai GL-40, new one. We got very good price (I think) in our area (we're from Croatia), it's around 13000€ and it sounds reasonable to me (comparing to Essex 123 upright for 7000). Of course that we don't buy itthinking about possible future sale. It can be an "instrument for life", and, if not, it will have a decent value even after few years ...
So, this won't be a "step-up", it will be a solution for many years smile
And yes, I also play the piano, but as an amateur, for my own smile

Early on in your posts you mentioned a restriction to getting a grand was your son's room size. The Kawai is 5' 11", plus 3' for technician access means a free area of 8'11".

Anyhow you seem to have decided on a nice grand piano and I'm sure that it will give your family many hours of pleasure, presumably now in your lounge and not your son's room.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
D
D
Originally Posted by Beemer
Originally Posted by Davdoc

I would also second what terminaldegree said.

It does not take a particularly "virtuosic" passage to require this rapid repetition characteristic of a grand action. A trill asking for low volume (e.g. mp and below) would be hard to execute when the keys have to go all the way up.

You are mistaken in your belief that the keys on an upright have "to go all the way up". In the case of my Blüthner can fast repeat after 1/3 way up.

Ian

If you read my earlier reply, I did admit that I never had the fortune to play high-end uprights. Not trying to play word game here, but my statement you quoted did not exclude high-end uprights either.

At least you and I should agree that your Bluthner Model A is a high-end upright. It also carries a price tag that is enough for probably two "consumer-grade" 6-foot grand pianos.

I have to admit that it's been several years since I seriously tried any uprights. But when I was shopping for our Yamaha GB1 in 2005, we were under significant financial and space constraints that there was no way we would be able to spend greater than $8K, or squeeze in a decent larger grand. So we tried quite a few uprights within that price range.

My experience with the "mainstream" uprights (not spinets) had been that while one can play the note with the key started at about 50% pressed, this is not consistent. That is, sometimes the note would sound, sometimes not, and the sonority/timbre is not easily controlled.

A few years later (I think 2009) my wife and I went with our friends who were buying a piano for their daughters to start learning. They themselves did not play much piano, so my wife and I played each model for them to listen to. Their price target was about the same as when we bought our GB1, and they would want to get an upright. I don't recall all the brands we tried at the shop, but the usual suspects of Kawai, Yamaha, and actually W. Steinberg too. We got the same impression from this round too.

On the other hand, even the crappy metallic sounding rental grand we got, back in the 1990s for one of our college student recital to pair with a Bosendorfer 213 in the recital hall to allow for two-piano repertoire, could handle this task much better.

I would like to think that a small-production firm like Steingraeber must have a reason to put in resources to develop something like SFM. Your Bluthner may have also some adjustment, unbeknownst to a layperson like me, to make it more responsive.

BTW, my lowly Yahama GB1 can repeat the notes at about 20% up (total key travel at the edge of naturals-10 mm; able to reliably repeat the notes-2mm from the bottom; I just measured this across the compass.)

Last edited by Davdoc; 02/20/17 10:14 AM.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
G
GPP Offline OP
OP Offline
G
To make a conclusion on this thread ... a big thank to all of you! I realised that, going deeper in the problem, I know less and less. On the end, as a step forward from CA-65, we bought a brand new, made in Japan, Kawai K-300. We've got a really good price (I think smile ), around 4300€, and it is ok for us, as the next level (K-500) is around 2000€ more expensive, and, in this stage, K-300 also gives a big step forward. The final solution, a grand piano (from this point preferably GL-40 or any similar, around 180cm) could be realized in the next 3-4 years, if my son decides to go for the music (meaning - enroll the Academy).
So, the instrument is in the room, waiting for hours and hours of torturing smile.
And, the quick step now, right after selling CA-65, will be portable piano (Kawai ES110/ES8 or Yamaha P115/P255), needing for going on a distant competitions, vacations, summer hollydays etc. But, that is the subject for my next thread. In a short time smile

Kawai SK-2 ATX-4
Kawai K-300
Yamaha P-115
G
GPP Offline OP
OP Offline
G
To raise this topic or open a new one ... situation is that we are changing the instrument. After 4 years of Kawai K-300, we need to make a progress to grand piano. So any suggestion will be appreciated. A few starting points:
- new or refubrished?
- budget smile ... around 15000€
- should fit in rather small room (15sqm)
- should have silence mode (aftermarket also ok) - something like Genio

Our thoughts go for refurbrished yamaha C2 or C3 ... as new as possible, but of course should be inspected before purchase. Kawai (new product) GL-30 or GL-40 are a bit over budget, but some of my son's comments for kawai grands (as he already has some experience) is that they need to be tuned rather often than Yamaha ... especially, as he has a "strong hand" ... our K300 lost a few strings, bass strings, during his practices.
What are the key things we should pay attention in the choosing process,, especially with used/refurbished pianos?

Kawai SK-2 ATX-4
Kawai K-300
Yamaha P-115
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Set a budget and then let your son choose. Get your son's teacher to "approve" any choice, and hire a piano technician to evaluate any used instrument being considered.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Set a budget and then let your son choose. Get your son's teacher to "approve" any choice, and hire a piano technician to evaluate any used instrument being considered.
Beyond that, the challenge will be to find a piano with "silence mode."

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey

Or buy a used digital piano for silent practice. It’s significantly less expensive and far more available than a grand or upright with a silent system.

Last edited by j&j; 02/16/21 07:51 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
It is inexpensive to have a silencing rail added to an upright piano.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I've not played any of the newer "made in China" Baldwin pianos, but they are the same or very similar designs to Baldwin's excellent post-WW2 pianos, and Baldwin claims that their quality control for these pianos matches that of the pianos they made in the US.

As such, I think these pianos are worth investigating given the price range being considered.

B
BDB Offline
B

Muting rail is easy. Silencing is difficult.

Semipro Tech
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Both terms are used regularly for the device in question.

I have one in my piano. Until recently, I hadn't found it useful because it eliminates any synamic shading or feedbsck between youch and tone/dynamics, which makes it unsatisfactory for playing a piece. But I recently discovered that it works fine for playing a short phrase repeatedly when learning the notes of a piece.

I have been considering replacing the felt with silk to turn it into a celeste rail similar to what was used in many fortepianos for classical era expression.

Very true - however they want to move up to a grand.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Yes. Recycling the old thread with upright in the title was a source of confusion.

Yes. Recycling the old thread with upright in the title was a source of confusion.
Understandable. thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
G
GPP Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks all for opinions. Some remarks:
- once on his level, there is no substitution in digital piano. Aftermarket silence system is around 2000euro for grand piano. Already have Yamaha digital piano. Simply not good enough.
- My question was generally pointed to refurbished yamahas, which you can buy in almost all bigger piano stores. Are those pianos good value? They are not that much cheaper to depend on luck (what was the history of that instrument), so I wouldn't like to have a lemon taste by that decision. Also, what are the weakest points in such refurbished pianos? Somehow, even though we have Kawai upright, I'm slightly on Yamaha side.
Waiting for re-opening borders in EU for going to showrooms and investigate "on site" smile

Kawai SK-2 ATX-4
Kawai K-300
Yamaha P-115
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission