2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, dhull100, Davdoc, Damien PG, chrisb42, c++, Baltguy, David B, 8 invisible), 543 guests, and 551 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
Originally Posted by David-G
Here is a Roenisch I found for sale on the German ebay, supposedly from the 1850s-60s. What struck me is that the name on the fallboard looks more antique in its style than yours does.

1850-60? I don't think so, you can see the pattern...

gseppe piano was probably refinished, so fallboard decal is probably wrong one for this piano

Last edited by ambrozy; 02/12/21 01:47 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Well, it does look to me that 4029 is the serial number - David B, would you agree? From the Roenisch date information that I can find, that would make the date 1872.

But does this look like an 1872 piano? I think I might be prepared to say 1890s for the general look of the frame. But early 1870s? Well, Bluthners of the 1870s don't look like that. So is 4029 not the serial number after all? Rather a mystery here.

[Linked Image]

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
David-G I agree with your observations. According to The Musicians Piano Atlas, 4029 would date it to 1872/1873 and I just can't believe that plate is as old as that. The square legs and the plain, modern-looking sans serif font for the decal could be explained by some restoration work having been carried out, but not the 88-note compass, the layout and appearance of the scale, and the decorative plate. I take your point about the 1890s Bluthner decorative plate, but I can't believe anyone made plates like that in 1872. Maybe that 4029 was a case work number follwing the piano through the factory, and not its serial number.
Another place one sometimes finds a serial number embossed, is on the beading at the edge of the soundboard, right up at the treble end, beside the capo bar - might be worth looking there in case a number has been obscured by dirt. But in the end, maybe this piano is just going to remain a mystery!

Last edited by David Boyce; 02/12/21 03:33 PM.
A
A
Cross strung baby grand with ornate plate, 88 keys, yet cheap inferior action, all of those things doesn't add up to 1872 and maybe it's not even a ronisch.
I guess we'll never know...

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
David, I agree with you. And I don't think there were capo bars in 1872 either!

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
All pre-WWII Ronisch grands that I have seen have the mame "Ronisch" cast into the plate in large ornate letters.

After WWII poor quality Ronisch-named piano were made somewhere else for a while. Currently, Ronisch do make reasonable new pianos in Germany.

Possibly this is a post-WWII piano and we don't know who actually made it.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I see that Rönisch has now merged with Blüthner. I had not realised that.

A
A

so, properly regulated, it can repeats like standard double repetition action!
watch from 2:23

Last edited by ambrozy; 02/12/21 06:19 PM.
G
gseppe Offline OP
OP Offline
G
When this kind of action is regulated, like it was on mine some years ago, the double repetition works, and it still works, but you can easily feel de difference between a full sized action. The keyboard is overall lighter, making it difficult to control dynamics, and I think this is also caused by the lower frictions given the minor number of pieces inside the action. It's like in the middle between an upright piano and a modern grand, it can repeat notes but not so precisely. It's also difficult to find technicians who already worked on that kind of action, at least near my location.

I still don't understand, in my opinion making a plate with this ornaments could be an expensive and difficult task, I might be wrong. But if it was so expensive to make a plate like this, what is the purpose of making a piano with a beautiful plate but a cheap action?

Last edited by gseppe; 02/13/21 04:58 AM.
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I agree with you, gseppe. (Incidentally, I have a student in my Higher English class called Joseph Green and I call him Giuseppe Verdi, but he doesn't get the reference....)

It is a mystery, as you say, why an action like that would be fitted to a piano that otherwise looks to be of high quality. In English-made pianos, D-Type Spring & Loop actions were generally fitted to baby grands that were the cheapest in the maker's range. Usually cost savings were made in all aspects, including the quality of the timbers, even down to the screws. While regulation is possible, and the action when well-regulated will reapeat quite rapidly, the age and cheap quality of most of these pianos means that they simply aren't worth spending the money on full regulation. Plus, of course, many are of an age when all the felt a leather parts are very worn and compressed. And even when well-regulated, as you note, they don't feel the same as a full grand repetition action.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I am curious that the Russian title on the video posted above appears to say: "Langer variant of the Brinsmead action". Was this invented by Brinsmead?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,296
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission