2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
E
please confirm whether you are connecting to Bluetooth MIDI or Bluetooth Audio.
When I turn on BT on the Win10 PC only "CA98 Audio" is found. Should something like "CA98 MIDI" be found, also?

Windows 10, latest updates
Kawai firmware 1.1 (oct 2020, note I didn't try with the earlier version, so it may not be relevant)

Connect to ES920 via pianoremote app and turn on bluetooth audio
Right away I have a problem: pianoremote is IOS/Android only. How can it be run in Windows 10?

I installed MIDIberry but it did not find the piano as in input. Now what?

Last edited by ee375; 02/01/21 06:24 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by ee375
please confirm whether you are connecting to Bluetooth MIDI or Bluetooth Audio.
When I turn on BT on the Win10 PC only "CA98 Audio" is found. Should something like "CA98 MIDI" be found, also?

I'm not 100% sure. However, I know that you cannot connect to Bluetooth MIDI devices in this way in Windows - the connection needs to be handled within the app/software itself.

Windows 10's Bluetooth MIDI support is less mature than that of other OSs, and I believe apps have to be specifically written in order to take advantage of Microsoft's implementation.

Right away I have a problem: pianoremote is IOS/Android only. How can it be run in Windows 10?

PianoRemote is not available for Windows. Moreover, the CA98 does not support PianoRemote.

I installed MIDIberry but it did not find the piano as in input. Now what?

Ensure that Bluetooth MIDI is enabled on your piano, then try following the instructions outlined by bigvern, earlier in this thread.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
E
I went to Settings and turned on BT MIDI and BT Audio. The BT Audio is found on my Win10 machines and iPad. But BT MIDI is not found on any of them. What now?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You may need MIDIberry which sends your MIDI BT to an other MIDI device. You may need loopMIDI yo loopback to your DAW.

It would have veen simpler if Windows included a MIDI BT driver...

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/08/21 04:02 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
E
E
You may need MIDIberry which sends your MIDI BT to an other MIDI device. You may need loopMIDI yo loopback to your DAW.
I used MIDIberry and loopMIDI on my Win10 machines but they still do not find the CA98 BT MIDI. Of course there might have been some pilot error in their usage.

But the iPad does not find the BT MIDI either. That doesn't require MIDIberry and loopMIDI, does it? After turning on BT I expected the iPad to find the CA98 BT MIDI. Maybe I am wrong?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
An iPad should detect and support a BT MIDI device. I am quite puzzled.

(My only experience is with an iPhone and a MD-BT01 MIDI dongle).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Online Content
But the iPad does not find the BT MIDI either. That doesn't require MIDIberry and loopMIDI, does it? After turning on BT I expected the iPad to find the CA98 BT MIDI. Maybe I am wrong?

Bluetooth MIDI devices should be connected from within the individuals apps themselves, and will not appear in the regular iOS/iPadOS Settings --> Bluetooth page.

For example, here is a screenshot of the Settings --> Bluetooth page on my iPad while sitting in front of a CA99 (with Bluetooth MIDI enabled) - note that the CA99 is not listed here:

[Linked Image]

However, after launching the PianoRemote app, here is a screenshot of the Bluetooth MIDI devices window that appears if a device is not already connected - note that the CA99 does appear (along with other Bluetooth MIDI devices that have been connected in the past):

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately, the PianoRemote and Virtual Technician apps do not support the CA98, however the connection procedure in Kawai's PiaBookPlayer app and other iOS/iPadOS apps that support Bluetooth MIDI should be the same.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

E
E
Unfortunately, the PianoRemote and Virtual Technician apps do not support the CA98, however the connection procedure in Kawai's PiaBookPlayer app and other iOS/iPadOS apps that support Bluetooth MIDI should be the same.
OK, so what MIDI players do you suggest that will play .mid files? I would rather not install a dozen apps to find one that works.

Online Content
OK, so what MIDI players do you suggest that will play .mid files?

Piano Jukebox
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/piano-jukebox/id997376600

This was originally developed by Quiccosound to demonstrate their mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI adapter, however the app can be used with any device that support Bluetooth MIDI. I just tested it with the CA99 and it works fine, so it should work with your CA98 also. You may need to set the instrument to "Sound mode" before connecting, however.

The app includes a selection of classical music MIDI files, and allows the user to add more .MID files via iTunes.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

E
E
After installing the Piano Jukebox, as recommended by JK, the CA98 MIDI works. But apparently it doesn't allow adding more .MID files from Dropbox or similar sources. There is a screen that has the option "user midi" but it leads to a blank page so I don't know what to do next. I have searched for other players with no luck so far. Are there any other MIDI apps that will allow adding .MID files? I don't want to use iTunes.

Maybe I can connect my Surface Book with USB cable. Then I could put more .MID files on a stick or Dropbox. Again not sure what app to use.

Online Content
Hello ee375,

For the benefit of the forum, I will paste my reply to your PM below:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Tom,

Thank you for your message.

I'm glad to read that you were able to get the Piano Jukebox app to connect with your CA98 via Bluetooth, and play the built-in MIDI files.

But apparently it doesn't allow adding more .MID files from Dropbox or similar. There is a screen that has the option "user midi" but it leads to a blank page so I don't know what to do next.

According to the Piano Jukebox description on the App Store page:

- Possible to add user's SMF files by using iTunes

I've not tried this personally, however I assume you just connect your iPad to iTunes, open the files tab, then drop your desired SMF files in.

I have searched for other players with no luck so far. Any other apps that you are familiar with?

I'm afraid not. I usually send MIDI from my controller to the iPad (to play software instrument apps), not the other way around.
However, a quick Google search for "SMF file player iOS" has some promising links that you might wish to try, although it seems that they typically rely on iTunes in order to get files onto the iPad.

Maybe I can connect my Surface Book with USB cable. Then I could put more .MID files on a stick or Dropbox. Again not sure what app to use.

I'm sure there are plenty of Windows SMF file players that will do the job - no doubt others in the forum may be able to assist you also.

Best of luck with your search

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
I believe Windows Media Player can playback MIDI files, however you may need to change the default playback (output) device from the built-in Microsoft GM Synth to the USB-MIDI output.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
B
Thanks Big Vern - I tried it with my ES110 - it works but only half way - I cannot route the audio back into the ES110 like you can with the ES920... I couldn't find the pianoremote app to download and try but I did see the ES110 is not supported by it.

Anyway it worked enough for me to try loopMidi port as input for pianoteq free trial and all I have to do then is connect my headphones to the pc.

E
E
About a year ago I was able to send pedal commands from my CA98 via Bluetooth to a Surface Book Pro to perform page turns. This requires MIDIberry, loopMIDI and Bome's MIDI Translater Classic as described in previous posts above. I am using Power Music Essentials for displaying scores. This worked perfectly for a while and then stopped working. I am back trying to make it work again.

I took detailed notes on the procedure (it is not simple) and tried to redo the setup. But I am stumped because the CA98 MIDI is not found on the Surface Book Pro when I turn Bluetooth on and try to Add Bluetooth device. If I remember correctly, the device name is not shown as "CA98 MIDI" but rather just "CA98". I had this problem the first time around but cannot remember how I solved it.

I searched for CA98 MIDI on a desktop PC and iPad with no luck. I also tried Pocket MIDI but it didn't receive any pedal presses either. Maybe something is not configured properly on the CA98?

Online Content
ee375,

Are you using the CA98 in Pianist mode?
If so, please try switching to Sound mode before connecting to Bluetooth.

Kawai apps that support the CA98 etc. require Sound mode to be selected.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission