2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (Adagiette, 8ude, Baltguy, 36251, Andrew E., Albacore, AaronSF, 22 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Is it damper lift rod piano lost felt or other reasons there?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2,895
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2,895
It looks to me as if the pedal needs adjusting to that the damper lift rod operates sooner, and lifts the lever and rail further.

Also, it looks to me as if the dampers are lifting unevely, and need regulating at the spoons.

Мені здається, ніби педаль потребує пристосування до того, щоб шток підйому демпфера спрацював раніше, і піднімав важіль і рейку далі.

Крім того, мені здається, ніби заслінки піднімаються нерівномірно і потребують регулювання на ложках.

Last edited by David Boyce; 02/09/21 02:02 PM.
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,063
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,063
The adjusting nut from the pedal to the lever is not set properly. The bushings may have compressed.


Semipro Tech
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by David Boyce
It looks to me as if the pedal needs adjusting to that the damper lift rod operates sooner, and lifts the lever and rail further.

Also, it looks to me as if the dampers are lifting unevely, and need regulating at the spoons.

Мені здається, ніби педаль потребує пристосування до того, щоб шток підйому демпфера спрацював раніше, і піднімав важіль і рейку далі.

Крім того, мені здається, ніби заслінки піднімаються нерівномірно і потребують регулювання на ложках.

but only 2 dampers do not work there, while their spoons do not participate in the operation of the sustain pedal. Is not it?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
we can see that the damper( little skinny rod) on these 2 wire does not move away from the strings when it's must raised using the sustain pedal. Whereas all other dampers work (move away from the strings) in the correct position. So the conclusion is that the wippen's spoons on these 2 dampers are also located correctly. It's don't need to be bent here. For some reason invisible to us, the lower part of the damper ( those keys(F sharp 3 and G natural 3) standing are farther than all the others from the rod of sustain, which raises ALL dampers.
I dare to assume that the felt on these dampers either peeled off or was not there at all.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by David Boyce
It looks to me as if the pedal needs adjusting to that the damper lift rod operates sooner, and lifts the lever and rail further.
I'm agree with you, David Boyce, need regulated ALL mechanism of damper lift rod

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 321
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 321
You might want to check the spring that is under the wood rail that comes directly from the pedal across the floor of the piano. I was called to a piano yesterday and the spring had broken but in such a way that you couldn't see it as it was directly under the wood rail it is attached to. It never really showed signs of separation until you stepped on the pedal itself. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to describe as it seems the more words I use the more confused I'm sounding....anyway, I swapped it for another one on a less used pedal and all is well.


Duane Graves


"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,022
D
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,022
Looks to me like the spoons are bent so far forward that the damper lift rod isn't able to engage the damper levers. Difficult to tell with seeing the individual notes playing.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,063
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,063
Some of the damper wires need adjusting, but the reason the dampers are not lifting properly when the pedal is pressed is because the adjusting nut on the damper pedal bolt needs tightening, as I said.

After the dampers lift properly, wedge the pedal down and bend the wires so the dampers are evenly off the strings.


Semipro Tech
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by Duaner
You might want to check the spring that is under the wood rail that comes directly from the pedal across the floor of the piano. I was called to a piano yesterday and the spring had broken but in such a way that you couldn't see it as it was directly under the wood rail it is attached to. It never really showed signs of separation until you stepped on the pedal itself. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to describe as it seems the more words I use the more confused I'm sounding....anyway, I swapped it for another one on a less used pedal and all is well.
thanks, Duaner
I very clearly understood the course of your thought there. A spring was checked . It has the correct regulatory functionality there.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by DanS
Looks to me like the spoons are bent so far forward that the damper lift rod isn't able to engage the damper levers. Difficult to tell with seeing the individual notes playing.
I do not see a direct relationship in the technical unit (spoon and rod(damper levers)). According to the owner of the piano, all keys work well, they have a long sound after pressing. But the sustain pedal doesn't work here. The damper levers does not come off the strings after use.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by BDB
because the adjusting nut on the damper pedal bolt needs tightening, as I said.
yes, BDB, I see it reason indeed too

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,063
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,063
This is an easy enough fix that you could call the owners, have them remove the bottom board, and adjust the nut by themselves.


Semipro Tech
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by BDB
This is an easy enough fix that you could call the owners, have them remove the bottom board, and adjust the nut by themselves.
yes, I did it's and I need that owner will can himself,

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 483
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 483
I am surprised that nobody mentioned to tighten the screws of the damper levers which lift a felt and therefore connect the damper lever with the damper rod. I am talking about that little screw on the very left of this picture:

[img]https://www.pianoteile.com/unsecure/getfile.aspx?id=70911&ruf=bild[/img]


piano tech - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2,895
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2,895
Well Gregor, that screw, which is not found on all pianos, is for fine regulation, and I think the piano in the YouTube video Maximilian posted, is needing more basic attention first; to the wing nut at the pedal, and to the spoons.

Last edited by David Boyce; 02/11/21 09:49 AM.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by Gregor
I am surprised that nobody mentioned to tighten the screws of the damper levers which lift a felt and therefore connect the damper lever with the damper rod. I am talking about that little screw on the very left of this picture:

[img]https://www.pianoteile.com/unsecure/getfile.aspx?id=70911&ruf=bild[/img]
Gregor, may be you are right and an owner need screw off IT(]that little screw ). An owner of a piano sayed that 2 dampers work good when he press it's pedal without.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Well Gregor, that screw, which is not found on all pianos, is for fine regulation, and I think the piano in the YouTube video Maximilian posted, is needing more basic attention first; to the wing nut at the pedal, and to the spoons.
Yes, David Boyce, I think that need attention to the wing nut at the pedal and to regulation it's there.


Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Yundi Li arrested
by Sidokar - 10/26/21 05:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,754
Posts3,142,193
Members103,121
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5