2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
103 members (Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., Andy R, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, Anglagard44, AndyOnThePiano, 24 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Some days ago I shared my preference for some compositions by Lully and other baroque music. I enjoyed playing the Sarabande on page 127 ..... a few bars of tight syncopation followed by subtle melodic phrases. Afterwards the Gigue in E minor page 128 composed entirely of subtle triplets in a lovely baroque style.... 3hearts

Also nice music of John Blow: Prelude, Courante and a nice Fugue in 6/8.....page 148 etc
Page 127 etc. & page 148 etc

Take a look, I hope you’ll enjoy these compositions too. Kind regards
Johan B

.........what did you play today.......?

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
with all your writing in blue you need to play some "Blues"

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Originally Posted by bob44
Nice setup, Schwa. I need one of these very wide music stands too! Just waiting for my music store to re-open in a week or two.

Thanks, Bob. And yeah, I do appreciate that wide stand. Its easy to fit 4 sheets across, or my binder and an iPad. Good stuff.

Today I worked on a relatively simple (but not to me) arrangement of House of the Rising Sun. There sure are some pretty chords in that song. I finally managed to play it through at half speed without issue so I'll be trying to polish it up a bit more tomorrow morning before my lesson.

I also started working on an arrangement of Scarborough Fair that my teacher gave me but some of the hand and finger transitions were really throwing me off. I decided to give up on that one until my lesson tomorrow so I don't end up guessing at those transitions and over practicing something I'll have to relearn later. It reminded me of some golf lessons I took in my youth when I spent a week between lessons practicing so hard on a funky version of my swing because it seemed to improve my accuracy. You should have seen the look my instructor gave me when I took that first funky swing at the next week's lesson, lol. I hate golf so no big deal, but I don't need to repeat that mistake on the piano.

Roland RD-2000
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

In 1967 my organ teacher made me enthusiastic about the work of Dietrich Buxtehude Wiki: Buxtehude
............except organ compositions, this German composer also wrote very beautiful suites for harpsichord.
Today I played around in these works; Suite 7 Allemande de l’ amour and Sarabande de l’ amour are my favorites. (page 27 etc of the pdf)
Buxtehude, Keyboard works

Have a look and enjoy the magic beat of baroque music, kind regards,
Johan B

.........what did you play today......?

Last edited by Johan B; 02/04/21 05:50 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
These last days I have been working mostly on my Nielsen-piece for the current ABF Recital. Got two fairly decent recordings in so far, but I would still like to have one without any hiccups, so I'll be working on it a bit more.

Also, played quite a few other pieces today, after all the hassle of recording, and I managed to mess everyone of them up completely. Well, I don't do things by halves. smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Today I played among a lot of others a nice Aria con varizione of Padre Martini. He was a welknown en respected Italian musician/composer in the end of the baroque. Even Mozart at his 14th had some masterclasses. Have a look at the Aria and 4 variations; you’ll find them at page 47 of the pdf.

Page 47; Padre Martini
Wiki: Padre Giovanni Battista Martini

This Aria may be intended for organ, but also fine on piano. On page 46 also a nice Elevazione, also great to do on piano.

Have a nice musically day, kind regards,
Johan B

........what did you play today........?

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Chopsticks and La Cucaracha... someone please put me out of my misery. sick I need to polish a bunch of songs prior to my next lesson and had been holding off of these two because I despise them.

Tomorrow is another day and I have better music lined up.

Roland RD-2000
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Yesterday I wrote to you about the music of 'Padre' Martini. Today I played music from one of my other favorites: Dominico Zipoli, a Jesuit who emigrated from Italy to South America and played baroque in his church there ....
Wiki: Dominico Zipoli
Nice baroque music that can also be played on a piano, in this book from page 35. Play the beautiful Canzona from page 39. 3heartsPage 35 etc Music from Dominico Zipoli

Have a nice day, kind regards,
Johan B

..........what did you play today.....?

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

One day ago I wrote about Dominico Zipoli; today I played among other music the four Suites for harpsichord. And also these compositions are fine for piano.
Zipoli Clavecin
On page 30 for example, you see a beautiful Gavotte which has a strong syncopated character, very nice. 3hearts

Johan B

...,,.,,,what did you play today....?

Last edited by Johan B; 02/09/21 05:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Yesterday and today were focused on more songs from my teacher. House of the Rising Sun, Scarborough Fair, and Chevaliers de la Table Ronde (I suppose everyone needs a good drinking song under their belt). Also working on a supplied duet with a recording and a beginner improv exercise. All fun stuff!

I haven't had any time to work on any personal choices but that's okay; Teach is keeping me busy!

Roland RD-2000
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Played this afternoon some parts of the lovely Sonatas of Don Ignacio Cirri. Originally written for organ or harpsichord but also very useful if you want to play a nice piece of baroque / classicism on the piano. Sonata III page 8 is one of my favorites. The Allegro in 2/4 time almost seems to play like a kind of Alla Breve. I like it. 3hearts
Cirri, 12 Sonates
Wiki: Cirri

Johan B

.......what did you play today....?

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Haven’t started yet but last night’s work on the Virgil Practice Clavier had me thinking about playing with flatter fingers. The truth seems to be that I can execute almost any movement using either curved or flattish fingers. It is just a question of balancing comfort and resulting sound. The technical extremes I sometimes employ in improvisation might benefit from a more thoughtful approach with regard to finger flexion. That, broadly, will be my work for the next few days.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
T
T
The past few weeks I've been trying to bring 4 pieces to recording quality, i.e. to a point I can play them through without any wrong notes and with decent control of dynamics, voicing, etc. So I work on each of them for 15 minutes every day (focusing on the parts that still give me trouble):

Chopin's Waltz in Am (Op. Posth. B150)

Burgumüller's Op. 100, No. 4

Satie's Gymnopédie 1

A simplified arrangement of Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (because my 5yo daughter likes it) from this book:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0849750687/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

This morning I listened to Venice Classic Radio Italia. They played music of Giovanni Benedetto Platti, a late baroque composer from Italy who worked long time in Germany. I did not know this composer. Platti

So today I searched his music on imslp.org and found 12 Sonatas for harpsichord or piano. I was working today on Sonata 1 & 2. Not the simplest baroque music, but worth getting started with. Here’s book 1...>>>
12 Sonatas Platti Part 2 is also on Imslp....

Johan B

.......what did you play today....?

Last edited by Johan B; 02/14/21 02:26 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

I usually get my music from imslp.org. From compilation albums I often get from one composer to another; then I continue to search for more of his music. Today I played from the serie ‘Liber organi’ a Sonata written by Johann Adolf Hasse. There are so many baroque composers that I regularly discover 'new' through imslp. From this Hasse I found two more wonderful Sonatas, originally written for harpsichord.
Johann Adolf Hasse: Zwei Sonaten 3hearts
The second Sonata (D-minor) opens with a lively Allegro that ends in an A-minor chord ...... followed by an Adagio with broad melody / theme lines. The Sonata ends with a light and playful Gigue in 3/8 .... highly recommended ....
Wiki: Hasse
Tomorrow I will continue my quest through (baroque) music; there is plenty. I'm not going to be able to play all the beautiful music during the rest of my life ..... grin grin
Hasse is a composer whose style is on the border between Baroque and Classicism; from Bach to Haydn.....or something...

Johan B

..........what did you play today....?

Last edited by Johan B; 02/16/21 02:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,
Today still working at the works of Platti and Hasse....... 3hearts.... see my previous posts

Kind regards,
Johan B

........what did you play today......?

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yesterday's menu for me was:

Waltz in A minor - Chopin
Cry Me A River - Hamilton arr Dan Coates
Oriental Jade - Alison Mathews
Mazurka - Tchaikovsky (not Grieg as I wrote by mistake previously)
As Time Goes By - Huffeld

[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Johan B

I played what you suggested! A few days ago I enjoyed Zipoli's Canzona, and I'm now loving Cirri's sonata. I can't sight-read well enough to simply play it, so I'm going to have to work on it a little. And then I see there is Hasse to try! (Your comment " Not the simplest" on Platti means I'll leave that for later...)

Thank you very, very much for your suggestions. I have played woefully little Baroque music - the gentleman's whose name starts with a B had terrified me of it as I find his music so very difficult. But your posts are encouraging me to discover beautiful music, and by learning some of it, I hope to improve enough to enjoy more.

Thank you!

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monviso
Originally Posted by Johan B

I played what you suggested! A few days ago I enjoyed Zipoli's Canzona, and I'm now loving Cirri's sonata. I can't sight-read well enough to simply play it, so I'm going to have to work on it a little. And then I see there is Hasse to try! (Your comment " Not the simplest" on Platti means I'll leave that for later...)

Thank you very, very much for your suggestions. I have played woefully little Baroque music - the gentleman's whose name starts with a B had terrified me of it as I find his music so very difficult. But your posts are encouraging me to discover beautiful music, and by learning some of it, I hope to improve enough to enjoy more.

Thank you!

Hi Monviso,

Nice......great that you play the Canzona van Zipoli....I love this guy...sorry, his music. You know, the power of baroque music is the ‘kind of a beat’...when you find that beat, you understand and feel what baroque is. The beat and phrasing of baroquemusic is the core. Have fun, in my posts you’ll find enough baroque. You can also send me a pm...no problem.

Kind regards,

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi,

Today played from one the albums of Liber Organi, but also fine for harpsichord or piano.....some compositions of Galuppi, Italian composer from the late baroque/classicism.

Wiki: Galuppi
Music or Galuppi page18-23 etc of the pdf

Lurk and play around, enjoy the 18th century....kind regards,
Johan B

......what did yoy play today....?

Last edited by Johan B; 02/18/21 02:28 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission