2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 86 of 116 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 115 116
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm reading comments online that the action is too heavy on the clp785.

Last edited by mwf; 02/06/21 05:14 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@Pete14 (about the N1X) : Yes, I love it !

The keyboard quality is quite above the CLP685 (I didn’t tried the new CLP7xx and suppose they are more or less comparable with the CLP6xx). This was my key purchase motivation.

It sounds quite good, then I use my virtual pianos less frequently. (But since I have many virtual pianos, it was not as important).

Both quality are what I expect from a digital piano. And I am very satisfied.

There is a drawback : the user interface doesn’t include an alphanumeric display, then, instead of a menu where you would be able to select a 3/4 metronome, you have to open the manual and discover that you have to press « metronome+D4 » (in Standard Pitch Notation) to make the metronome stress 1 note among 3.

There is a SmartPianist application which permits you to select options from your smartphone or your tablet. (A MIDI-BT dongle like the Yamaha MD-BT01 is handy). Ok the sounds list is displayed nicely with some photos, you can select the 3/4 metronome easily, etc. But (there is a but !) when SmartPianist is connected to the piano, it locks the integrated user interface and some options are no longer available (Local Control, play a recorded song from the piano memory...). Then, I suppose I will continue using the N1X with its integrated interface, remember that the CFX is song #1, Bösendorfer Imperial, song #2, two variants of them #3, #4 that’s not too much to memorise (and will open the manual the exceptional day I will need a DX piano).

The 88 keys get me too busy for me to need many tweaking to the user interface. Then it is not a big deal.

(And I have memorised the « local control » key... and then find it quicker to press it than going to a sub-sub-menu as some DP needs you to enter... with virtual pianos, this option is needed).

A nice thing is the Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader which can exchange MIDI files from/to the piano. This avoid USB sticks exchange. There are some annoying rules : rename the MIDI file USERSONG000.MID for the first... make a Format0 file, but it can be handy. The exchange of WAV file is through USB sticks however.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/06/21 05:31 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
@Frederic, I tried the N1X once and also ‘liked’ it, but I’ve been hearing some rumors that some N1Xs might not be leaving the factory properly “regulated”. This makes me wonder if Yamaha is rushing them out the door to compensate for the so-called shortage. (Yes, I’ve sometimes questioned if the shortage is a scam; so sue me)!

In reality I’ve always been a little suspicious in terms of whether the AG gets the same level of expert regulation an acoustic gets, or if Yamaha simply skimps through this very important step. This would suck; considering that these instruments don’t get any further preparation at the dealer (except for one dealer I heard of here who likes to regulate them before they leave the dealer floor).

I wonder if Yamaha/dealers should start offering a complimentary regulation for AGs. I mean, most dealers offer a complimentary tuning for acoustics so why not.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have no regulation issue. I suppose the regulation made at the factory (the piano was brought to me in a box and mounted afterward).

The typical action on an acoustic piano is generally only the tuning (not needed on the N1X), but surely, if there is a regulation issue, the tuner can fix it.

I have no idea about the quality level Yamaha brings to there product from a regulation point of view. (A B1 is made in Indonesia, the N1X, probably too).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/06/21 06:17 PM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
No XG bank on the N1X...
The N1X owners manual mentions XG and drum setups:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/1244173/n1x_en_mr_a0.pdf

Is that for controlling external devices?

Last edited by Burkey; 02/06/21 07:42 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
T
T
Hi....I have a question on recording on my 745
When I record my playing and move it to a USB memory stick it saves it as midi...is there a way to save it as an audio file without having to convert it from midi to audio?
A second question...can I use the bluetooth to record directly on my mobile without having to use smart pianist?
Thanks in advance

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by mwf
I'm reading comments online that the action is too heavy on the clp785.
Huh, did you purchase without trying it?

Originally Posted by Tiva
is there a way to save it as an audio file without having to convert it from midi to audio?

I can answer the first one!

You need to hold the REC button for 3 seconds to get the recording options menu. The last option should be "record audio to device" (or something like this, it has a different icon). This will record an audio wav file to the USB stick. All other options will record midi.

Yamaha CLP-735. Learning piano since January 2021!
My recordings: youtube | soundcloud | recitals
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Burkey
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
No XG bank on the N1X...
The N1X owners manual mentions XG and drum setups:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/1244173/n1x_en_mr_a0.pdf

Is that for controlling external devices?
The document lists a lot of parameters with X in the reception column (then not understood). It is quite strange. Why enumerating all the XG parameters the N1X doesn’t understand.

The preset voice list is page 2 : quite limited.

T
T
Originally Posted by Maira713
is there a way to save it as an audio file without having to convert it from midi to audio?

You need to hold the REC button for 3 seconds to get the recording options menu. The last option should be "record audio to device" (or something like this, it has a different icon). This will record an audio wav file to the USB stick. All other options will record midi.

Thank you very much...I really appreciate it

C
C
To whomever asked about the drumkits, etc. - why not have a second keyboard for those "extra fun stuff"? e.g., a Yamaha PSR series. You could get one for a couple hundred dollars, and frankly some things like drumkits actually feel better to me personally with unweighted keys rather than playing drum sounds with keys that have escapements, counterweights, etc. Plus then two people can play/practice/perform at the same time. That's probably what I would do in this case - something like $200 Yamaha PSR. Also, in case you just want a single instrument, I think the Yamaha CVP series is intended to be fit that need?

To whomever asked about sticking with CLP 745 vs CA79 - I was in the same situation a few months ago, where CLP delivery time was "unknown" but CA79 could be had in a few weeks (at slight more cost). I hadn't played either instrument but there were two reasons I ended up sticking with the 745. One is I liked the piano sounds / tone engine of 745 much more than CA79, and I knew I'd be playing a lot with headphones (w/binaural sampling also strongly preferred over "simulated" presence) and hearing those sounds a lot. Obviously, you want to enjoy the piano tone. Two is that, rightly or wrongly, I trusted the build quality of the 745 much more based on reading the Kawai owners club threads on this forum. There are enough things going on in my life that I just didn't want my piano to become a hassle, plus the Kawai dealer in my region was pretty rude and not someone I'd want to rely on for arranging service should there be a problem. There were other factors as well, e.g. aesthetic, but those were the two main ones. Overall I am pretty confident I made the right decision sticking with the 745, since the headphone sound and build quality is as I expected and I am indeed listening with headphones all the time. However, if you don't have a strong preference on the piano tones of the two instruments like I did, or you trust the Kawai build quality and/or trust the dealer help arrange service if an issue arises, in my opinion the CA79 would be worth more thought. Although I haven't tried the CA79 I'd venture to guess that I'd like the action and the speaker system more on that one. Certainly, if you have a chance to try either one (and ideally both) in person that is the best.

Last edited by computron; 02/07/21 05:55 PM.
R
R
I thought I'd reply with my first post on the forum. I recently bought a CLP785 and during the purchasing process compared it with the NU1X and CA99 prior to lockdown in the UK.

I didn't feel the action on the NU1X was materially superior to that of the CLP785 (N1X was marginally better but also that was a lot more money). CA99 had a superb action BTW.

What swung it for the 785 was the sound quality. For me it was awesome, best I've heard in a digital. The interface is a bit higher end too vs the NU1X. Of the 3 pianos I'd actually say in my experience both the 785 and CA99 impressed me more than the NU1X.

All this just goes to show that we are all individual creatures and trying out a piano and getting a feel for it yourself is the only answer. What works for me no doubt doesn't work for someone else and these aren't cheap either so take your time, do your research. I was unable to get a single penny discount off the CLP785 although they did a decent trade in on my existing piano.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I assume you didn’t try the 775?

Would be interesting to get an opinion on how the 785 and 775 compare. I’m inclined towards the 775 purely from a value to price ratio. It doesn’t hurt that I don’t care for counterweights and six speakers is okay (all things considered).

The truth is that I think it would be best to ‘wait’ for the next generation of hybrids and simply get a place-holder in the interim. For me, the 775 seems like it could do just fine holding a place by the fireplace for the next AvantNovus.

Note: I don’t have an actual fireplace; the term is being used symbolically (I live in a van down by the river).

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Pete14
(I live in a van down by the river).
Which river?

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
R
R
Originally Posted by Pete14
I assume you didn’t try the 775?

Would be interesting to get an opinion on how the 785 and 775 compare. I’m inclined towards the 775 purely from a value to price ratio. It doesn’t hurt that I don’t care for counterweights and six speakers is okay (all things considered).

The truth is that I think it would be best to ‘wait’ for the next generation of hybrids and simply get a place-holder in the interim. For me, the 775 seems like it could do just fine holding a place by the fireplace for the next AvantNovus.

Note: I don’t have an actual fireplace; the term is being used symbolically (I live in a van down by the river).

Hi. I didn't get the chance to try the 775. The models that were in store at the time were the 785 and the 745. The 745 was pretty nice as well for what it is worth but there was for sure a significant difference in sound quality and key action with the 785 plus it had a more intuitive navigation module with a touchscreen. I didn't feel the 785 had an overly heavy key action but again everyone's mileage is different. From what it seems the 745 is the optimal blend of quality to price whereas the 785 is maybe 30% better for a 80% price premium. Depends of course on how much importance you place on that extra 30% - for me it was worth it as I always feel the most expensive thing you will buy is what you buy instead of what you really wanted to buy as you will regret it and possibly end up going for what you always wanted in the end.

Last edited by ryanb741; 02/08/21 03:06 AM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Interesting that you prefer the 785 over the NU1X because I remember the 685 not fairing well up against the NU1X.

Of course, this is just your humble opinion/preference, and we need more comparisons to better assess the situation; however, I have a feeling that the 785 perhaps does surpass the NU1X (finally). This is why I’m waiting for the next “NU3X” with nicer/bigger cabinet, more speakers, ‘ducers, more modeling, new samples, and yes, I want two times the sensors (don’t be giving me a one-sensor system for the NU3X). I’m not dealing with them loud notes no mo’.

Then and only then would I consider an NUXX, but as it stands, the ‘real’ action alongside aging tech, tiny-toy-like cabinet, and crappy speakers is getting old (literally), for a piano is more than just an action!

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ryanb741
I thought I'd reply with my first post on the forum. I recently bought a CLP785 and during the purchasing process compared it with the NU1X and CA99 prior to lockdown in the UK.

I didn't feel the action on the NU1X was materially superior to that of the CLP785 (N1X was marginally better but also that was a lot more money). CA99 had a superb action BTW.

What swung it for the 785 was the sound quality. For me it was awesome, best I've heard in a digital. The interface is a bit higher end too vs the NU1X. Of the 3 pianos I'd actually say in my experience both the 785 and CA99 impressed me more than the NU1X.

All this just goes to show that we are all individual creatures and trying out a piano and getting a feel for it yourself is the only answer. What works for me no doubt doesn't work for someone else and these aren't cheap either so take your time, do your research. I was unable to get a single penny discount off the CLP785 although they did a decent trade in on my existing piano.

Ryan what did you think to the N1X compared to the 785? Which sounded better to you overall? Better speaker system on 785?

Last edited by mwf; 02/08/21 11:36 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by ryanb741

Ryan what did you think to the N1X compared to the 785? Which sounded better to you overall? Better speaker system on 785?

To be honest I didn't spend much time with the N1X as it wasn't a piano I was considering and didn't want it waste too much time on it. I did a bit of noodling, that's all whilst awaiting the sales guy.

It did sound great but the CLP785 also sounded great and I spent the most time with it. Of course in a store they know what sounds and songs sound the best so always worth taking it with a pinch of salt but the CFX Grand sound in particular on the 785 was superb.

Last edited by ryanb741; 02/08/21 03:12 PM.
S
S
A friend asked me to help him testing various Pianos in 2000-3500 USD range. I own CA79 which I love, but we went to test out Yamahas. There was 735 and 745 at the store. I was most interested about the action/touch/feel so wouldn't comment on the sound/sampling.

Unless I really got used to CA79, both Yamahas were terrible in comparison. I don't know what's the reason, is it counterweight or something, but both 735 and 745 lacked feedback. Felt like I lack any control in the touch, even worse with depressed pedal.

I have advised him to take his kid to try whatever pieces he is learning right now and let him feel kawai vs yamaha the same day. Even though he is just 8yo, I'm certain he is going to feel the difference.

the only Yamaha action I liked there was one of the AvantGrands.

Just in case if someone is curious, CA79 sounds awesome with both speakers and headphones, no complains. Yamaha might be better, but action would be a deal breaker for me.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Sebastian FL
the only Yamaha action I liked there was one of the AvantGrands.

I am curious if you tried CLP-785 and if so, what you thought of that action?

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Page 86 of 116 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 115 116

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission