2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (anotherscott, 716GoBills, ando, apianostudent, Azunyan, Bill McKaig,RPT, burpo, 36251, 18 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 591 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
Do any of you fix "digital" pianos on the side? I dabble ever so lightly with organs (Hammond usually and preferably) but I get calls to fix digitals at times and I wonder if it would be worth the effort to learn how to repair them.

What has been your experience?

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I don't. When people call I refer them to someone else who does.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There are some 'Hybrid' style digitals that have acoustic piano actions in them. Kawai makes 2 models, and these do need regulation occasionally, especially if played hard.

I would encourage piano techs to be open about doing some of this kind of work. If you are plenty busy doing what you love it's understandable to stick with regular piano tuning and service, but if you can use a little more business, quite a few different digital piano models can use a good piano tech at times!

Any techs who have an interest in this kind of work, drop a note to the service manager of your favorite piano company - I know Kawai is always wanting to get to know good techs, and I have no doubt that Yamaha and other companies have similar needs.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I am open to working the mechanical part, but it is frustrating to hear things wrong with the sound and not be able to do anything about it.

Semipro Tech
P
P
Anyone can repair a digital piano if the following conditions are met.

1: You can get the service manual and genuine parts.
2: Understand the circuit diagram.
3: Have the necessary tools. ( screw driver,solder iron,multi tester,,)

With today's digital pianos, repair is almost always just a matter of replacing the unit.

Maintenance work is especially important for hybrid pianos.

I have been repairing acoustic ,hybrid and digital pianos for nearly 40 years,
but recently I am having trouble with presbyopia.
That’s serious problem.
Someone please give me a new eyes.

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
In the UK at least, and I guess in other countries, if you are opening up and repairing a 'portable electric appliance' - one that plugs into a wall socket - you would need, I think, to have it PAT tested before returning it to the customer (Portable Appliance Test, for electriical safety).

That means you would either need to have the qualification and equipment to carry out and to certificate a PAT test yourself, or would need to pay someone to do it when your work is complete.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by David Boyce
In the UK at least, and I guess in other countries, if you are opening up and repairing a 'portable electric appliance' - one that plugs into a wall socket - you would need, I think, to have it PAT tested before returning it to the customer (Portable Appliance Test, for electriical safety).

That means you would either need to have the qualification and equipment to carry out and to certificate a PAT test yourself, or would need to pay someone to do it when your work is complete.
I question whether the PAT is a requirement. I never heard, for example of a PAT test being done in a home after, say, a washing machine repair. I had my hybrid digital serviced by Yamaha at the end of its warranty and a PAT test was not done. Anyway I am not an expert, but more here.

I recently posted this in another thread for those interested (I too am in the UK):

Access to the NU1(X) key action takes 5 minutes or less, half a dozen or so screws, two wires to disconnect. Fall board cover lifts out.

I took care of some lost motion and hammer blow adjustment myself last summer in lockdown. The main thing a tech needs to be aware of is if removing the keys the optical gratings attached to the base of the keys are fragile. The service manual provides information on electronic/optical regulation, or ask Yamaha for the information, it's done via the control panel. You would need to do this if changes to key dip or key bushings were done; ensures evenness of sound across the keys.

My piano teacher's tuner and tech, who is also a gigging musician has agreed to take on any serious regulation or repair work on my NU1. YMMV. Probably most techs just don't need or want the work.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

This quote comes straight from the government HSE site:

"Is Pat testing mandatory?
No. The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. It does not say how this should be done or how often."

Although my employer requires all electrical equipment to be PAT tested, at home I certainly don't get a PAT test done if I, for example, get a new graphics card fitted into my home computer.

Last edited by gwing; 02/04/21 10:23 AM.
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Thank you for these clarifications, spanishbuddha and gwing.

It's really an interesting question, about working on digital keyboards - I have had enquiries from time to time. I wonder what training is available, to aquire skills in this area.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thank you for these clarifications, spanishbuddha and gwing.

It's really an interesting question, about working on digital keyboards - I have had enquiries from time to time. I wonder what training is available, to aquire skills in this area.
The person who serviced my Yamaha at the end of its warranty period, was an accredited Yamaha technician. He told me he attended yearly briefings and education sessions by Yamaha, and had access to their portfolio of spares, tools, manuals, etc. He was not an (acoustic) piano technician but had been given basic training on basic regulation of the hybrid piano actions, which is covered in the service manual. I don't know if there is a halfway house opportunity for piano techs to look after the hybrid actions but not the electronics. It would seem like a win for all to me.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 02/04/21 04:46 PM.
P
P
I received repair and maintenance training for electronic pianos and hybrid pianos from Yamaha, but I heard that if repairs are made using genuine parts, an insulation test after repair is unnecessary. In particular, modern digital pianos are not subject to insulation testing because they are powered by a power adapter. Since electronic pianos have a simple structure, anyone can repair them with a service manual or genuine parts, but I think that the number of engineers will increase in the future as the demand for repairs of digital pianos and hybrid pianos increases. If you have the opportunity, please take the training of each manufacturer.
Musical instruments are not disposable.

Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What would pair well with a GL30?
by Tim_Noob - 07/28/21 08:26 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,267
Posts3,117,154
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission