2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 48 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 47 48
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What’s the advantage of going for a high ohm? I know people automatically think higher ohm is fancier and ‘high end’ but is there actually a difference in sound quality at all?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wish I knew why all these reviewers skim over the ep sounds. I like the acoustic sounds just fine but I would like to hear electric piano sounds and have them add effects, play some relevant vamps, hopefully stereo pan.

I own a hardly played ES110, which is only for gigs and I like it very much, except for the limited effects available. I also have a Reface CP, for EP sounds, but would like them built in for convenience.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
P
pwl Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
What’s the advantage of going for a high ohm? I know people automatically think higher ohm is fancier and ‘high end’ but is there actually a difference in sound quality at all?

I can only answer in regards to the DT-770's. When I investigated these a while back the consensus from reviewers/listeners was the 32 ohm version - altho less demanding of the amplifier - had less bass, a less full midrange and sharper treble than the 80 ohm version. I didn't compare these models personally (don't remember now which version I auditioned) and stayed with open-back headphones.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by 36251
I wish I knew why all these reviewers skim over the ep sounds. I like the acoustic sounds just fine but I would like to hear electric piano sounds and have them add effects, play some relevant vamps, hopefully stereo pan.

Listen to the review. He spends time on all of the EPs, around 14:00. He uses effects, including the amp sims. He plays vamps. If you need more, listen to the other review videos, almost all of which spend some time on the EPs, or listen to the samples at Kawai's website. Or, best yet, go to your local piano dealer and play what you want to hear on their floor model.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ColoRodney

Listen to the review. He spends time on all of the EPs, around 14:00. He uses effects, including the amp sims. He plays vamps. If you need more, listen to the other review videos, almost all of which spend some time on the EPs, or listen to the samples at Kawai's website. Or, best yet, go to your local piano dealer and play what you want to hear on their floor model.

If you are referring to the JPS then we have a difference of opinion. First he has no touch or ears for modern music IM(H)O and to meet my needs the reviewer would know what a real Fender Rhodes Suitcase sound and show me how the Kawai can reproduce the sound as best as can be. I'm fine listening to him play the acoustic pianos and hearing his opinions. One last thing, he didn't bother to read the specs, as he didn't know both the the 520 and 920 has the same speaker components.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
If you are referring to the JPS then we have a difference of opinion. First he has no touch or ears for modern music IM(H)O...

My thoughts too. When he tries to play a little riff using an EP voice it's utter torture - he just hasn't a clue.

A
A
I am really considering purchasing one of the two. May I ask which type of stand is more suitable for these two heavy beasts? I have been using a double X stand in the past. What about a proper music studio desk? Am I going to break the master keyboard slot?

Kawai ES-920
Yamaha P-121
Yamaha P-90
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Alfred La Fleur
I am really considering purchasing one of the two. May I ask which type of stand is more suitable for these two heavy beasts?

The ES920 and ES520 are not so heavy - 17kg and 14.5kg respectively.

I have been using a double X stand in the past.

That should be fine.
I'm personally not a fan of X-stands, due to the way they obstruct legroom and pedals. I prefer table stands, and typically recommend the K&M 18953 or 18950 depending on the weight/depth of the instrument.

What about a proper music studio desk? Am I going to break the master keyboard slot?

I'm afraid I do not have a great deal of experience with these - you would need to seek clarification from the manufacturer.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
That should be fine.
I'm personally not a fan of X-stands, due to the way they obstruct legroom and pedals. I prefer table stands, and typically recommend the K&M 18953 or 18950 depending on the weight/depth of the instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x
Hi James, I think you're right, I always hated the lack of room space with the double x stand and always wanted to replace it. I'm glad that there is something more suitable for pianists on the market. Thanks for your suggestions.

Kawai ES-920
Yamaha P-121
Yamaha P-90
OP Online Content
I'm glad that there is something more suitable for pianists on the market. Thanks for your suggestions.

No problem.

I have a K&M 18950 supporting an MP8II (an older stage piano with heavy wooden keys), and cannot imagine using anything else. The Yamaha LG800 is also a very sturdy stand. Both are a little "industrial" in their appearance, so some customers may prefer a matching wood furniture stand for their portable piano. In the case of the ES920/ES520, the matching stand is the HM-5.

Kind regards,
James
x

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I built my own stand... now just waiting for ES520's to get stocked in stores. This stand is built from common #2 lumber and is not too difficult to make if you have a power miter saw and kreg screw guide. You can paint or stain it to match your decor and customize the height.

[Linked Image]

A
A
I'm glad that there is something more suitable for pianists on the market. Thanks for your suggestions.

No problem.

I have a K&M 18950 supporting an MP8II (an older stage piano with heavy wooden keys), and cannot imagine using anything else. The Yamaha LG800 is also a very sturdy stand. Both are a little "industrial" in their appearance, so some customers may prefer a matching wood furniture stand for their portable piano. In the case of the ES920/ES520, the matching stand is the HM-5.

Kind regards,
James
x

Same here James, would never use an X frame again.

A
A
Originally Posted by TBell
I built my own stand... now just waiting for ES520's to get stocked in stores. This stand is built from common #2 lumber and is not too difficult to make if you have a power miter saw and kreg screw guide. You can paint or stain it to match your decor and customize the height.

[Linked Image]

Impressive job TBell, that looks solid! For me, I need to fold my stand away, but that's a great job.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

[Linked Image]

Wow, that looks incredible, TBell. Beautiful work. As for being "not too difficult," somehow I don't think I would bet on myself being able to accomplish the same results anytime soon smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
A
A
Since the topic, a few pages ago, was the noise on the ES920 keys (since people also complain about the ES110 noisy keys, I have good reasons to believe that this could be extended to the ES520 as well), I found this VIDEO, where a guy plays several silent pianos and digital pianos, including some Yamaha models.
To be fair, most of these piano keybeds sound noisy to me.

I've been playing on a few acoustic pianos in the past, and I've never noticed that, maybe because the piano sound itself was too loud in comparison, I cannot tell. So, I am a bit puzzled about this, if this is going to be a problem or not. Sure, the point of a DP is also being able to play at 3am, without anyone complaining, right?

Would it make sense that Kawai thought about it as a feature to better emulate the real counterpart, rather than an engineering mistake, as somebody claims?

Last edited by Alfred La Fleur; 02/02/21 08:38 PM.

Kawai ES-920
Yamaha P-121
Yamaha P-90
OP Online Content

[Linked Image]

Wow - great job!

OP Online Content
Would it make sense that Kawai thought about it as a feature to better emulate the real counterpart, rather than an engineering mistake, as somebody claims?

(emphasis mine)

Who claims this?

A
A
(emphasis mine)

Who claims this?
I’ve been reading countless reviews these days, not just in this forum, and this seemed to be a quite (un)popular opinion, unfortunately. I said unfortunately because this opinion is way too simplistic and probably strongly biased.
Please don’t ask me where I found such comments exactly, I don’t even remember but they’re out there, on reddit, YT comments etc.

It’s far from my intentions to say that I agree with that. I only want to get my head around this, before I decide to buy anything, because I want to be happy for many years to come with my new DP.

Kawai ES-920
Yamaha P-121
Yamaha P-90
OP Online Content
Please don’t ask me where I found such comments exactly, I don’t even remember but they’re out there, on reddit, YT comments etc.

The joys of the internet:

Person 1: "I read something negative about X"
Person 2: "Really? Where did you read that?"
Person 1: "Oh, I can't remember...but it was on the internet, so it must be true."

I am aware of some claims about key release noise and/or bouncing keys, however I haven't seen these characteristics referred to as an "engineering mistake".

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A

The joys of the internet:

Person 1: "I read something negative about X"
Person 2: "Really? Where did you read that?"
Person 1: "Oh, I can't remember...but it was on the internet, so it must be true."
Hi James,
It's not a journal publication here, where it is needed to justify every single claim with one or more sources, especially in this specific case of the internet, where you can find any type of comments, malicious, biased, false statements etc. I absolutely would never say anything like "this fact must be true because I read it somewhere on the internet", since I cannot even prove the authenticity of those comments or users claiming it.

Any person who is really interested in buying the new Kawai pianos, as much as I am, may eventually come across such comments after scrolling hours of videos and hundreds of messages. Do those comments deserve any attention? Maybe not.

Personally, the two Kawai pianos are still in my top list and it's far from my intentions to put this brand in a bad light. So please, let's end this discussion here and do accept my apologies if that somehow affected you personally.

I believe that we agree on the fact that there are some claims about noisy keys when they bounce back, and this is what I would like to focus on. If this is a feature to emulate acoustic pianos, if this could be an issue when playing during the night time, etc.

Last edited by Alfred La Fleur; 02/03/21 04:02 AM.

Kawai ES-920
Yamaha P-121
Yamaha P-90
Page 42 of 48 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission