2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (AJB, BMKE, Calikokat, Animisha, B3boy, Catlady, 36251, 16 invisible), 717 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3077546 02/02/21 03:49 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I am unfortunate for living in Pennsylvania, a state with no vaccine available, even in the medical Mecca of Pittsburgh!
A state that doesn't know who has been vaccinated, or even how many have been vaccinated!
Dadgum gummint!

Well ... my sister-in-law has managed to find a pharmacy where we can get vaccinated ... three weeks from now.
And we only have to drive three hours to get there.

I'd say that this town is in the middle of nowhere, but this place is not even in the middle of anywhere.
It's like Mayberry. Only smaller. And no Andy or Barney or Aunt Bee or Opie or Goober.

Since we'll be three hours on the road getting there and then three hours back ... we'll need to find lunch somewhere.
On close examination of the map, it seems that the best place to eat in this town is ... drum roll ... a Sheetz gas station.
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to Podunk!

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Tough luck, Mac. I got notification of a pending jab on Fri last, wife's cellphone app from the NHS Medical Centre in my area, at 17.30 hrs. A fiddle with the phone and I had an appointment for 8.55 next day. Went on my bike, 10 minutes trip. Back home for a brew 9.30, done. #
Next one booked for April, it's a two part thing.
Being older helps!
Wish you luck!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
I hear you. We were able to get my in-laws vaccinated last week, but it was really clear that things are not organized/orchestrated as well as it should be for a national effort/emergency like this. For those of us not in an at-risk or other prioritized group, there's no pending schedule at all. And we have ZERO idea what the plan is for our 3yo and 7yo, since it seems child testing is only down to 12?

If you're in a hurry and don't plan on dropping a lot of cash on an N1X anytime soon, I do know a little Canadian town in the Yukon you could fly in and out of quickly, I hear they've got plenty of extra wink

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Sounds strange when people say things like "We were able to get...", and "We were able to find...". It almost sounds as if it's a free for all, where you have to fight for the vaccine.

In the Netherlands, you can't just "get" a vaccination. It's strictly regulated, and you get called when it's your turn. Then, and only then, can you make an appointment.

Google Translation of the sequence in which people are vaccinated in the NL

And that's the sequence for all the people that do NOT work in health care; all of them go before that, and have their own sequence.

As I'm in the middle of the 18-60 age group with no health issues (apart from poor vision, which in this case is not an issue) and no other medical indications, I'm way down on the bottom of the list, for May or later. If they vaccinate all the people in my group according to alphabetical order, I'll probably be one of the last people in this country to get the shot.

Last edited by Falsch; 02/02/21 07:20 PM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Has everybody here done at least a bit of research, besides watching "the news" on tv?

Is everyone entirely sure to even want this vaccine?

(Not saying I know the truth or trying to start an endless yes/no discussion here, I just care about people)

But please do some research and for example buy and read the book "covid-19: the great reset" by Klaus Schwab. This is no conspiracy theory.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by U3piano
Has everybody here done at least a bit of research, besides watching "the news" on tv?
If it's one thing that this past year should have taught everyone it is: never go to the mainstream media for medical advice/info! They majority of journalists in the world still seem to think COVID-19 is a virus! Or you can 'catch' COVID-19! It's hilarious how ridiculously uneducated they all are. (those who were alive in the 1980s wouldn't make this mistake as they know HIV is the virus that can cause the symptoms known as AIDS - likewise SARS-2 is the virus that can cause the symptoms we know as COVID-19)

For info about SARS-2 I only refer to peer-reviewed medical articles or this Australian government daily 10-minute podcast:
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/

Originally Posted by U3piano
Is everyone entirely sure to even want this vaccine?
What vaccine? Around the world at least 7 different vaccines have received regulatory approval so far, with dozens more likely to be approved shortly.

Moderna's is the best if you can find it (4 times less risk of anaphylactic side reactions than Pfizer).

Last edited by Burkey; 02/02/21 08:48 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Since we'll be three hours on the road getting there and then three hours back ... we'll need to find lunch somewhere

[Linked Image]

Problem solved.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
I'm a nurse in a COVID unit since March and I got the Pfizer vaccine. It was the only one available to us. We did get 1 anaphylactic rxn out of several thousand administrations. Overall these vaccines are very safe. You've likely had less safe vaccines previously. Hopefully at least 70% get a vaccination to be honest. I don't really care which one. Vaccination is by far the best way forward. If any of you have seen what I've seen, I'm sure you'd recommend the same. Just this past week one of my coworkers on the COVID unit died. The first and hopefully only. She never got to get vaccinated though she had an appointment. Please don't try to spread antivaxer/antimasker/insane conspiracy theories here. Enough damage has been done and it's time to get back to normal. There were more deaths on my unit than the last 15 yrs combined and it's not the worst outcomes I've seen. Many of us who have been doing this are absolutely traumatized. It's real, it's a virus, it has a very broad range of severity, and if you know the parable of the 2 boats and a helicopter: This is the helicopter.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have to wait another month or so before it's my turn.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Johnny English
It's real, it's a virus, it has a very broad range of severity, and if you know the parable of the 2 boats and a helicopter: This is the helicopter.

Thanks Johnny,

My friend - only 42 years young - almost died in March last year in San Francisco (caught it in San Jose).
He is still suffering from long-COVID (medical name: Post-COVID Syndrome) 11 months later.
If you're lucky it kills you: if you're unlucky it damages your heart, lungs, brain, kidneys, liver, testicles (causing infertility), and other valuable organs - from which you may suffer pain forever.

Even if you can't see any personal benefit: please take the vaccines to protect your loved ones and the rest of us.

Last edited by Burkey; 02/03/21 12:52 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
M
M
Originally Posted by Falsch
Sounds strange when people say things like "We were able to get...", and "We were able to find...". It almost sounds as if it's a free for all, where you have to fight for the vaccine.

In the Netherlands, you can't just "get" a vaccination. It's strictly regulated, and you get called when it's your turn. Then, and only then, can you make an appointment.

The same thing here in Canada. I'm in a 30+ age group, so I hope to get vaccinated at least in August/September (and that is largely depends on the vaccine supply, that is, unfortunately, is becoming very policial)

When it is our turn, we will be able to make an appointment.

One couple tried to cheat the system recently: "A millionaire Canadian couple who secretly travelled to a remote community to receive a coronavirus vaccine...". It was a scandal. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ovid-vaccine-indigenous-people-jail-time

CASIO CDP-240R
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
My wife and I, being both 67, received our first vaccination yesterday at the San Fernando Park. Not far from Glendale. It wasn't easy getting an appointment in LA County but once we did, the whole experience was less then a half hour. We return, appointment already automatically made, on March 1st for the followup.

Originally Posted by Johnny English
Please don't try to spread antivaxer/antimasker/insane conspiracy theories here.

+100.

Johnny thanks for putting your life on the line everyday.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Likw Falsch I am in the Netherlands, a country that we until very recently believed to be a world leader in logistics and organization. I believe we are at the bottom of the European countries in percentage of vaccinations so far... Perhaps the government's secret plan is to buy vaccines cheaply when everybody else has been vaccinated, and production is higher than demand.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
My mom (73) caught it in November. The first week she was OK, just slight fever and coughing. Then the blood oxygen saturation fell to 75 and was admitted to hospital with pneumonia and was put on oxygen and antibiotics. Without oxygen her saturation would fall. They discharged her after a week because they had to accommodate new patients but she was not well, so they recommended leasing an oxygen concentrator but there were non available and many people across the country were waiting for them. That was on a Sunday and she started feeling pretty bad with a low saturation at home with no oxygen. I managed to find the only available new unit at some online store on Monday and purchased it. She used it for a month and is now much better.

Same happened to a friend of mine, who is 40 and very fit. Still recovering from the damage in his lungs.

It’s serious.

I’d put the vaccine ASAP but I don’t think that’s happening soon... Bulgaria has the lowest rates of vaccination in the EU, there’s just not enough supply and all three approved manufacturers announced delays.

And here’s something very interesting: Reverse Engineering the source code of the BioNTech/Pfizer SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine

It’s written by a software engineer (and a molecular biologist) and is easy to read even for people like me who don’t know anything about molecular biology.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/03/21 03:20 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
And here’s something very interesting: Reverse Engineering the source code of the BioNTech/Pfizer SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine

It’s written by a software engineer (and a molecular biologist) and is easy to read even for people like me who don’t know anything about molecular biology.

If feel a next promising DIY project is being born.... after the Cybrid, will we get a CyCov-Exterminator? smile

C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
The story seems to be pretty identical within EU/Great Britain:
- It's free and money won't hurry it
- I won't have to travel several hours for it
- Healthcare workers and people in risk groups get it first
- Vaccinations have already started
- There are some supply issues and it might take months before regular people start getting the shots
- There's some FUD about it but nothing extreme

And CG was right about Bulgaria: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
It’s a deadly combination of supply shortages for us and steep decline in the average IQ of the Bulgarian people. There’s a hopeless dumbization going on. I have friends who have university degrees but are anti-vaxxers and would believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories. I blame Facebook and social media for successfully polarizing peoples opinions and providing a tribune for every moron to express strong opinion on everything.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/03/21 03:47 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
CG I'm so glad your mum got over it.

There will undoubtedly be glitches at the start of the vaccination. Hopefully in a few months it will be available to everyone.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Likw Falsch I am in the Netherlands, a country that we until very recently believed to be a world leader in logistics and organization. I believe we are at the bottom of the European countries in percentage of vaccinations so far... Perhaps the government's secret plan is to buy vaccines cheaply when everybody else has been vaccinated, and production is higher than demand.

Probably not. We made a mistake. Most countries started setting up specific Pfizer vaccine locations, but we prepared to do the injections in care homes, hospitals, at doctors, etc... like you would do with other vaccines.

Then the news came that Pfizer needed special cooling treatment, which could not be provided at the locations we had prepared, because it wasn't possible to get, or install, so many cooling units. So we started out late with setting up specific locations like other countries had done.

If Pfizer hadn't needed that special treatment, the Netherlands would have been at the front of the vaccination program with regard to speed (but it would be more expensive than global locations). We did what we would have done with any "normal" vaccine, going for speed regardless of cost, and then it all went borked when the revelation came that it wasn't even possible with Pfizer.

We gambled and lost, so now we're behind in number of people vaccinated.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,431
Posts3,216,947
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission