2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (Doug M., Animisha, clothearednincompo, Alex Hutor, Gretel, David Boyce, chopin_r_us, barbaram, 11 invisible), 360 guests, and 587 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
Nothing technical to report or ask questions about just wanted to throw this out to you who live and work in wintery places. On 2 Jan 2021 while walking my little dog in my driveway I slipped on the ice tearing a muscle in upper leg and falling down "hard" on my right shoulder. Now, it has been nearly one month later and the leg is healed but the shoulder still gives me agony and that's after two visits to the Doctor. I cannot get my right arm above my shoulder. Ironically, we are in virus-lockdown and have been otherwise I could not tune pianos anyway.

I have reported this to you as a concerned friend that you be so careful on the icy driveways and walks on your tuning visits and, well, anywhere....and make sure you have good gripping treaded boots on....don't take chances for convenience sake. It was so sudden, so unexpected, so traumatic....it happened like a flash....falling, slipping on the ice (it had just snowed a wee bit) was not on my mind and then quick as a heart beat I was down and literally crawling to my doorstep.

I have another Dr's appointment coming up and it's all because I was not paying attention....so think about what I just said and BE CAREFUL!!!!

Last edited by Duaner; 01/31/21 06:30 PM.

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wish you a prompt recovery. I turned 55 this January and I am more and more careful. Accidents happen so fast, prevention is key for sure.

Take care and all the best!

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
FWIW - and this may not be your issue but:
Had a similar accident and shoulder issue.
After several doctor visits and pain meds that helped but did not cure as well as physical therapy and acupuncture I went to an orthopedist.
Got a chortisone shot at the top of the shoulder under that small bone and above the big bone that rotates.
Hurt like ####
But after about 48 hrs the pain calmed and within a week I was completely cured and back to normal work load. Pain never came back.

Last edited by Gene Nelson; 01/31/21 07:18 PM.

RPT
PTG Member
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
FWIW -
Got a chortisone shot at the top of the shoulder under that small bone and above the big bone that rotates.
Hurt like ####
But after about 48 hrs the pain calmed and within a week I was completely cured and back to normal work load. Pain never came back.

***this is where I see myself very soon, cortisone shot....I have another Doc app on Thursday and thinking to do that then....tks for this****

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Duane,

I hurt just reading it. And yes, I KNOW how fast and unexpectedly these things happen. Ouch! At least you can do office work, right? 🤕😁

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Sorry you got hurt. Be careful after you get the cortisone shot not to overdo ANYTHING! You will probably feel so much better the next day you will think you are cured. Follow physical therapy recommendations faithfully. They know what to do for these things and their advice is critical.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Good luck with your recovery.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I slipped on the ice five years ago and broke a rib when I tried to brace myself and my elbow punched through. It still hurts.

Moving away from that icy hill of a driveway was a very exciting moment in my life.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
there are 2 good remedies for pain relief:
1 Rub the sore spot with moonshine or alcohol at night. And have for you helper that to do it there. Then tie a shawl here.
2 Rub this place with lamb or camel fat.
If you have the opportunity, then consult yours doctor about this.
be healthy,
regards,

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Duaner
I have reported this to you as a concerned friend that you be so careful on the icy driveways and walks on your tuning visits and, well, anywhere....and make sure you have good gripping treaded boots on....don't take chances for convenience sake. It was so sudden, so unexpected, so traumatic....it happened like a flash....falling, slipping on the ice (it had just snowed a wee bit) was not on my mind and then quick as a heart beat I was down and literally crawling to my doorstep.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I have skis and therefore ski poles. I don't go outside without taking a pole with me, and got a pair for an elderly neighbour (you only need one). Another scoffed at it but has fallen down twice. Falls on ice are no laughing matter.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
A few years ago I was doing some work in an office about three blocks away from here. The sidewalks and streets were icy as all get-out that night, too.

I know that I left the office shortly after midnight and I remember locking the door as I went out. The next thing I remember is standing in the (closed) lobby of my theatre wondering where my glasses are. Without giving it much more thought I went back out and found them on the sidewalk about a half-block down the street. Came back to the theatre and my wife said, "Why are you bleeding?" Who, me? Until then it hadn't even occurred to me that I had fallen and lost some time somewhere (as well as my glasses) since it was then about 1am and I know I left that office shortly after midnight.

It's one of the strangest experiences in my life since I apparently lost an hour. And since then I wear cleats on my boots if I go out when there's ice on the sidewalk because I have no desire to repeat it. I don't know how many cracks on the head like that a guy can take.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
I wish you a speedy recovery.

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Hakki
I wish you a speedy recovery.

+1

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Three Decembers ago I stopped off one icy morning at a supermarket filling station on the way to work, to buy a sandwich for lunch. I slipped on the forecourt and broke my ankle. Staff were most solicitious and the manager came over from the supermarket. They are concerned in such situations because lots of people would try to sue.

They got me a taxi to the hospital. The A&E department was full of people limping, holding broken wrists and sprained shoulders - it had been a sudden freeze, with treacherous black ice everywhere. In fact that morning I had woken up with a light flashing in my window, and looked out to find a polive car with its lights flashing, because a car had crashed in my street.

I was seen very quickly, x-rayed, the break confirmed, fitted with a 'ski boot' and walking stick (it was a stable fracture), and home, remarkably quickly considering the influx of casualties. For all that, I paid not a penny, and was duly grateful to the UK's National Health Service "Free at the point of need".

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Probably not directly applicable to the shared situations written above, but I remember hearing from an older tech when I was younger to always pause when going outside after tuning in winter. Just standing on the top step or porch for 10 seconds or so gives the bottom of our shoes a little time to cool down to make them a little less slippery when walking down the steps or sidewalk... The same goes for when getting out of a warm vehicle.

When I was writing a column for the local PTG chapter, I always included that recommendation in a fall newsletter.

Ron Koval

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Sound thinking!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NV10S/NV5S will be released on 21st
by robinlb - 05/18/21 04:13 AM
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,001
Posts3,094,783
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission