2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3068150 01/11/21 10:43 PM
T
TTWK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
After about 30 years of not playing I restarted through the social restriction of COVID. I enjoyed learning Debussy's Clair de Lune for the first time and this encouraged me to find a teacher and also to buy a new piano as I really wanted to be able to practise silently as I have a family which includes two teenage children. I was dangerously close to buying a Yamaha C2X Silent, but, because of space considerations I ended up with an upright.

I've now had the Transacoustic for a couple of months and, to be frank, I'm mostly happy. The bass is surprisingly good and deeply satisfying despite the fact that it is not the tallest Yamaha upright. I have had persistent overtone issues with a group of notes ranging from A5 to E5 with the incidentals sounding particularly obnoxious. My tuner suggests that this will just be a process of waiting for the strings to stretch and settle down. Unfortunately that range of notes sits within the sweetspots of so many melody lines.

I am very much enjoying the action, although I can't help but wonder how much more I'd enjoy the action of the Conservatory series.

In terms of the digital side of the piano. I think that the silent functionality is amazing. The CFX binaural sample is a delight (I wish that the Bösendorfer binaural sample was available for me). And the ability to record to USB is wonderful.

I'm not so fussed about the Transacoustic functionality. I don't think that the soundboard resonators sound that good by themselves and I'm not blown away by the layering of the resonators with the acoustic piano.

As I said earlier in this post, I'm mostly happy. If the overtones were to settle soon I think I would be happy.

Unfortunately I feel like I'm in a grand piano rabbit hole at the moment!

I hope that everyone is well and staying safe.

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Yamaha!

N
N
I bought a new Kawai K500 this past May and yes, going thru the anxieties of the 'settling in' period.
Tho it’s mostly quite good, the piano tuner says to have patience.
Annoying? Yes, but it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

T
TTWK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you... that is very reassuring.

E
E
Yamaha rules! Congrats!

T
T
Congratulations on your new YUS1 TA2 !

how does the transacoustic sound compared to the usual speaker?

T
TTWK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
As suggested in my original post, I'm not very impressed with the transacoustic sound. If I had my time over and I knew then what I know now I would have purchased the standard silent piano rather than the transacoustic. Then again I would probably have pushed harder to purchase a grand piano.

T
T
thanks for the reply.
how much more expensive the TA2 / SH2 version compared to the usual YUS1?

Last edited by tirta; 01/27/21 07:02 AM.
T
TTWK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
10% premium

S
S
Originally Posted by TTWK
Unfortunately I feel like I'm in a grand piano rabbit hole at the moment!

I am in the same situation like you. Overall i like the YUS1 really much, but i have a feeling, that i buyed a little bit to small.

There are just nuances that i miss. Silent is amazing and absolutly nescessary. Transaccoustic is a nice gimmick, my wife loves it, i use it not as often.

To bad, my dealer is not really accommdating when it goes for an upgrade (even with the fact that he gives brand new models for rent).

Loosing €4k after 8 months of usage is a little smack in the face.

In february ill take a look at a YUS5 and i am even considering a CX1 or CX2, but i have to convince my wife a little bit more to put a small grand into our living room.

Yamaha P-125 --> Yamaha YUS1TA2 --> ?Grand Piano?
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I originally ordered a DYUS1 in December of 2019 and because of the pandemic I was given a chance to upgrade to a DYUS5. I am very happy with the DYUS5. It has a bold voice. My tuner loves the piano and spends a lot of time tuning it because he loves the tone he gets from it. The piano has settled down a lot after being tuned three or four times the first year.

The Disklavier functionality is a lot of fun. I hope to use it more in my own studies.

Let us know what you think of the YUS5! I love the music desk and the slow close lid on that piano.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission