2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (Bruce In Philly, ambrozy, c++, brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, 19 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 617 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 83 of 105 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 104 105
C
C
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by Clannad
I got my 785 2 weeks ago. This is an upgrade from my old Kawai KDP90, so this is a big jump. I'm not professional, so take my opinions lightly smile.
The quality is top-notch, everything feels really well built.
The speakers sound amazing even at low or max volume, I did not hear any distortion.
I love the CFX sounds, I'm not quite like the Bosendorfer sound, it sounds a bit underwhelmed, I won't judge on this since I have never heard a Bosendorfer before.
The keys feel really nice too, I tried out several grand at my city piano store, this 785 feels really close to it.

I'm pretty happy with it, no complaints so far, plus this piano is way beyond my level. Enjoy my pics below, my room is a bit bland, so I added some LED light strip around the piano to make it a bit more moody.

[img]https://imgur.com/n3Pg9x2[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/v2CdtRX[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/Rmwn528[/img]

Could you say where you got the led ligjts from and how you attach them to piano etc... Please.

+1 It looks cool. Would like to have this on my 785 as well.

C
C
Originally Posted by Clannad
I got my 785 2 weeks ago. This is an upgrade from my old Kawai KDP90, so this is a big jump. I'm not professional, so take my opinions lightly smile.
The quality is top-notch, everything feels really well built.
The speakers sound amazing even at low or max volume, I did not hear any distortion.
I love the CFX sounds, I'm not quite like the Bosendorfer sound, it sounds a bit underwhelmed, I won't judge on this since I have never heard a Bosendorfer before.
The keys feel really nice too, I tried out several grand at my city piano store, this 785 feels really close to it.

I'm pretty happy with it, no complaints so far, plus this piano is way beyond my level. Enjoy my pics below, my room is a bit bland, so I added some LED light strip around the piano to make it a bit more moody.

[img]https://imgur.com/n3Pg9x2[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/v2CdtRX[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/Rmwn528[/img]

do note that the light doesn't look exactly like that, it came out different when I take the picture, the light seems distorted in the picture, in real life, you can make out where the actual LED is base on the light, but it still looks really nice.

Yamaha CLP-785
M
M
Very nice Clannad. I'm very jealous that you received your 785.
The led strip is a nice touch. And thank you for your impression of the instrument. It is always great to hear opinions from players of all technical prowess. Bosendorfer for me is important but sadly I don't think I got the skills to make it sound good on the P-515 or eventually the 785. This is a strech goal of mine. I think Bosy needs some hella great touch to sound great.

Yamaha P-515
I think the Bösendorfer coming from the speakers sounds really weird, but the binaural sample for headphones is actually really nice. It's a completely different sound!

Yamaha CLP-735. Learning piano since January 2021!
My recordings: youtube | soundcloud | recitals
M
M
I checked out CLP-735 and CLP-745 in the store, and was sold on 745 because of the internal speaker sound (much more convincing). Also, the touch/action felt a little nicer on 745 (or maybe I'm just imagining this, lol).

Anyway, I put a deposit on it. The seller said that they don't know how soon they will have enough supply: he said I may have to wait up to 6 months! It would probably be better if I willing to agree on a different finish (I want Rosewood), cause Rosewood apparently is the most popular somehow:)
That sucks ass, but I guess I just wait frown

It is Vancouver, Canada.

Last edited by Mulberg; 01/28/21 02:13 AM.

CASIO CDP-240R
C
C
There is a fairly in-depth video now on the CLP-700 series from someone who I believe helped design (or consult on the design) of the instruments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUTktczFuw

A lot of it will be old news to people reading these threads closely, but this confirmations some of the initial rumors. Here are some notes:

* The new samples in the 700 series confirms more samples per note for CFX/Bosendorfer - although doesn't specify a number (previously, this thread suggested 1 more layer per note).
* Also, the new samples were recorded so that the binaural sample set and the standard sample set were recorded at the same time / simultaneously - not one set then the other. This would suggest that the recordings should be very consistent between binaural sampling and standard sampling.
* Some of the pedal noise (whoosh from lifting dampers) are a new feature in the 700 series
* Sound distribution of speaker is better by speaker positioning (higher energy center) and also EQ. The sound escape ports weren't mentioned IIRC but that may also play a role.
* Better keystop for less thud
* Grandtouch-S action now has different fulcrum points for black and white keys (as discussed earlier in the thread)
* Sustain pedal is continuous (not just off/on/half, but all the gradations in between). Doesn't say if this is the case for the soft pedal, my guess is no but maybe someone else knows the answer.

The video also points out specific models for some of the piano sounds (some only available in 785/795):

* Studio Grand is C7
* Upright piano is U1
* Scarlatti is Cristofori
* Mozart is Walter of Vienna
* Beethoven is a Broadwood from London
* Chopin is a Pleyel from Paris

Last edited by computron; 01/28/21 02:29 AM.
D
D
While it is one of the best videos I have seen, it is not completely accurate on details. For instance, the PDF manual mentions the SU7 as the upright piano; and in contrast with what is said, the CLP-775 does not offer Scarlatti and Beethoven piano samples.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Isn't it sad that the first "feature" introduced is the pedal whoosh?
Then comes talk of the curvature of the piano enclosure.
And then the new location for the pilot light.
None of that makes me want to buy. It doesn't even make me want to continue watching the video. frown

J
J
Did anybody notice that they faked the "blackness" of the side to make it look a lot nicer? I mean come on? You can't do that on official promo videos like that. Yes the "buttons" dissapear nicely, but the display is very visible even when it's turned off. The display does go blank, but you can clearly see that turned off display is there even when in "sleep mode". If they want it completly gone, then make it completly gone.....don't fake official photos and videos.

I love Yamaha pianos but this kind of "marketing" I can't stand.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
They had me at whoosh!

I mean, how did they do that? Did they stick real strings in there?

This deserves credit, for no one else in the whole world has ever created the whoosh!

Also, he never mentions any improvement to the GrandTouch action, and does not give any real specifics about the new samples other than the binaural thingy.

I am curious about the new speaker configuration and the ‘ducers.

A Hollywood foley artist squeezed large fireplace bellows. Whoosh!
Originally Posted by Pete14
They had me at whoosh!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
They had me at whoosh!

Maybe they sampled it from my old Kawai digital piano(?)

Or from a $500 Medeli(?)

It's not a feature I'd highlight in 2021, but it's nice to see Yamaha catching up. 😀

Did they really not have it in previous models? 🤔

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
No, it seems like the whoosh was not there in previous models!

But really, to emphasize the whoosh as the one single thing that ‘blew him away’, and then they wonder why we kick their respective tushies ‘round here!

The whoosh, for god’s sake, that’s what Yamaha spent the last three years on. We need a disruptor, pronto!

We need a Bezos-type guy with all the money in the world and a piano obsession. It’s the only way, you guys; the only way we’ll see true innovation. Who knows, “he” might even hire CG to design the prototype!

K
K
And where is Musk when we need him - oh I know stuck up in space no doubt!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
They had me at whoosh!

This deserves credit, for no one else in the whole world has ever created the whoosh!
I could swear my Roland FP-80 released in 2013 (and cheaper than the current Clavinovas) had an equally satisfactory whoosh sample...

And by equally satisfactory I mean equally unsatisfactory!

It was the first setting I disabled.

When releasing software features at work I have one golden rule:
If the feature doesn't have a toggle (an off switch) then it doesn't get released.

At least Yamaha have someone there testing that rule smile

Last edited by Burkey; 01/28/21 09:30 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
And where is Ray Kurzweil when we need him. Just look at what he did back in the 80s simply to please his friend Stevie Wonder (Stevie wanted a more realistic synth/digital piano).

For god’s sake, Ray was already talking about modeling back then, but then ‘big corp’ took over and it all went to heck, “we’ll take it from here, Ray, we know what’s best for the community”.

I’m genuinely pissed off, 36521, and this is what happens after years of waiting for Ray, and Ray never showing up again. Why Ray, why?

Anyone else here still waiting for “Ray”?

I'm waiting for Godot.
Anyone else here still waiting for “Ray”?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Waiting for Guffman, anyone?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Waiting for Cousteau?

...is a Jean Michel Jarre album I find hard to listen to.

But is it about waiting or waiting?

As for Ray, I guess Stevie hasn't complained lately and Ray is busy with futurology at Google.

A Google piano perhaps?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
A Google piano perhaps?
Sweet Jesus, please no!

I just dropped my Google Pixel 3 earlier this evening... first phone I've smashed in 23 years and 10 phones. It only fell from a height of 3 feet, but completely shattered (luckily only the back, so a $40 replacement!).

Sure Google probably is the best organization to build the piano operating system and the voice modelling engine, however the hardware needs to be built by someone that can build products with a more robust build quality...

Fazioli hardware + Google firmware + Bowers & Wilkins speakers?

Last edited by Burkey; 01/28/21 02:15 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
Page 83 of 105 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 104 105

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,134
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission