2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (AJB, BMKE, Animisha, B3boy, 36251, brennbaer, Calavera, 15 invisible), 732 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3073984 01/25/21 06:59 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Some of you are aware that I retired in November and moved north thereafter.

Since then I've been setting up house, a chore that was seemingly endless. Every day was ...
- moving boxes
- unpacking boxes
- moving furniture
- buying new appliances
- building furniture
- shopping for "stuff", everything from light bulbs and picture hooks ... to a snow blower ... and a contractor to build a downstairs bathroom ... and buying the fixtures for that bathroom
- hanging pictures
- getting the cars registered
- oops, cannot do that until I can show a state driver's license
- oops, cannot do that until I show a Social Security card
- oops, I couldn't find my card, but I already had an online SS account, so I could apply for a new card with the new address. S'good!
- Wifey couldn't find her card, but she did not have an online SS account ... so she could not get a card with the new address ... so she had to mail her passport to the local SS office ... two weeks of government delay
- shuffle off to the DMV for the licenses ... $30 bucks apiece
- shuffle off to the title/transfer/messenger service for the titles ... $188 bucks apiece
- shuffle off to the auto repair shop for a state-mandated inspection ... $35 bucks apiece
- mail the old North Carolina license plates back to the NC bozos. (For the preceding half century all I did after an interstate move was trash the old plates. But no! Carolina insists you send them back or face penalties.)

Too much work!
My bad knee is worse.
My bad back is worse.
My (formerly) no-problem hands now seem to be arthritic.

And limited piano time. It was nearly a month before I plugged in the piano, and weeks more until I set up the VST riggings.
And I have still not yet visited my local piano store.

RETIREMENT HAS BEEN MUCH MORE WORK THAN WORKING FOR A LIVING! frown

Go easy on yourself. Don't retire! Or at least ... don't move house!

OP Offline
Epilogue: The house is set up.
The contractor has nearly finished building the bathroom.
I bought a dining room set today ... used, but very fine quality in pristine-condition ... to be delivered by that same contractor tomorrow.

When that's done ... I'm done! There are no more items on the list!

OK, there are a few fix-em-up items to be done ... but that contractor will do tha work.
All I have to do is click/order a couple of items needed and he'll do the work.

Real retirement awaits.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Mac Mac Mac:

I enjoyed reading about your move and send Best Wishes to You on your Retirement!

Are you familiar with the Pittsburgh area? Pittsburgh (the South Hills area) is my home stomping grounds. People are friendly. Passers-by while you are out taking a walk or checking your groceries out at Giant Eagle will smile and make small talk. Well, at least that's how it was before the pandemic. We're all so afraid of one another now, hopefully people haven't changed too much.

If you happen to come across a Ferand & Votey harmonium, please send me a private message via PianoWorld. When I moved from Pittsburgh I left it "to reside" with someone who sold out from under me without checking with me first. I'm still sad about that.

'Not Exactly Pittsburgh' ?? Hmmm.... wondering where exactly you are situated.

Stay Safe & Take the Days One At A Time....and all those things the move requires will be done and you'll be all set!

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
OP Offline
Hi Jeanne. I'm in the northern suburbs ... Cranberry. We haven't ventured to the "so' side" yet. But in the spring we'll be getting out a bit more.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I thought when you retired you were supposed to move South where it is warm....?

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by trooplewis
I thought when you retired you were supposed to move South where it is warm....?

Really you have to say this. We all know MacMacMac is different wink

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
OP Offline
We lived south for over 30 years, in South Florida. Too much heat! Too much crowding!
We got out eight years ago and went to Carolina. That, too, became over-busy, over-crowded.
So here we are in the not-yet-too-crowded suburbs of Pittsburgh.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well see, no wonder your joints are revolting. Should have tried going west to AZ or some uncrowded place3 with a nice dry heat. LOL, enjoy the new place, it sounds nice.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
RETIREMENT HAS BEEN MUCH MORE WORK THAN WORKING FOR A LIVING! frown

Sorry to hear - glad that you are at the end of the tunnel though!

With all that hard work, you deserve 1 N1X and 1 NV10 smile smile smile

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trooplewis
Well see, no wonder your joints are revolting. Should have tried going west to AZ or some uncrowded place3 with a nice dry heat. LOL.

Sounds darned good. Any room for a couple of old Brits who can't quite speak the language . . .. . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
It's nice that in retirement you could afford all the things necessary for the move and your new house. You obviously planned well financially. Enjoy it. I'm sure you deserve it.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
L
L
We're still 6-7 years out from retirement, but we decided the house we bought two years ago was where we're going to die smile I think it took us 6-8 months to recover from the cross-country move.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I made my (hope!) last move in 1999, when we completely rebuilt our current home, which was my grandparents holidays home and later my parents one. I agreed with my brother and I bought it from my parents, did a big rebuilt and started to build my electronics laboratory (back then was a secondary hobby/job), where I ended working full time 9 years ago, and then, when piano/keyboard bug bit me on February 2018, began to build my 3-area studio (I say 3-area as it is divided on three different locations, two mostly electronic/synths/VST and one where my U3H resides)

I have so many things here that is close to impossible to move again laugh (not that I want to!). So, even just at 52, I am decided to retire on this home. The only thing which will probably change in some years, if still around and economy does not completely crash, is that I hope to get a Grand and place it on a dedicate room. If so, I will free one of the three locations, I promise eek

So good luck to all people who plan on moving on retirement, I am done! thumb

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Yes, moving is an ordeal. And recovering from a move is tough. It's easy when you're young, but not so easy in advanced age.

Fortunately all the heavy work is done (finally!), and the remaining work is lightweight stuff. I feel better already just having NOT done any heavy work for nearly a week.

Meanwhile ... I just took delivery on a new (to us) dining room set ...
Over the weekend we were looking at fine Amish-made dining sets at a nearby store. I was prepared to drop $4100 on a table and six chairs.
Then, suddenly, there appeared on nextdoor.com a listing for a dining set ... table, six chairs ... plus a full size hutch and a side/serving table. All for $1365. A real bargain.

It's solid cherry, twenty-ish years old but in pristine condition. Nearly flawless.
It was made by Pennsylvania House ... so the style exactly matches our living room and bedroom pieces from that same maker.
I estimate that this set when new likely cost $7000 or more.

The owner's wife liked it, but felt that it was time for a change, so she ordered its replacement, including more furnishings to better fill the room.
What a shame! smile

So the $2700 savings on this set will make quite a dent in my (eventual) N1X purchase. Yay! smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
A fellow neighborhood runner, who's a few years older then me, maybe early 70s, just moved along with his wife to right outside Ashville, NC.

I was surprised, I've known him for 24 years here in the Verdugo Woodlands, since we moved over from the Valley in '97. He had a primo lot that backed up to the Oakmount Country Club golf course. So no neighbors in back. The Verdugo Mountain trails were right up the street. We'd always bump into each other up there.

I think he got burned out on LA in general- expensive, crowded, didn't agree with the politics. I said, are you sure about this move ? You've lived here all your life ! It's cold there and the humidity ! He said they spent some time there and were ok with it all and looking forward to the change.

We're here for the duration. I don't even feel like venturing outside the Ca. borders actually. Wouldn't mind getting out of LA County proper to Ventura County where it's down a notch in intensity though. As long as I'm near trails where I can run, ride my mountain bike, hike and have a studio for the piano to practice uninterrupted, I'm great. Not asking for too much .. laugh

Best to you on your relocation and retirement. I highly recommend the lifestyle. smile I was semi-retired before the pandemic, now it feels like a total adios to gigs. Maybe some stuff will come back but if not, no big deal.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Great find on the Dining room set.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Yes, moving is an ordeal. And recovering from a move is tough. It's easy when you're young, but not so easy in advanced age.

Fortunately all the heavy work is done (finally!), and the remaining work is lightweight stuff. I feel better already just having NOT done any heavy work for nearly a week.

Meanwhile ... I just took delivery on a new (to us) dining room set ...
Over the weekend we were looking at fine Amish-made dining sets at a nearby store. I was prepared to drop $4100 on a table and six chairs.
Then, suddenly, there appeared on nextdoor.com a listing for a dining set ... table, six chairs ... plus a full size hutch and a side/serving table. All for $1365. A real bargain.

It's solid cherry, twenty-ish years old but in pristine condition. Nearly flawless.
It was made by Pennsylvania House ... so the style exactly matches our living room and bedroom pieces from that same maker.
I estimate that this set when new likely cost $7000 or more.

The owner's wife liked it, but felt that it was time for a change, so she ordered its replacement, including more furnishings to better fill the room.
What a shame! smile

So the $2700 savings on this set will make quite a dent in my (eventual) N1X purchase. Yay! smile

I guess you just saved $4100-$1365 = $2735. That's awesome MacMacMac, congratulations!! You keep this up 1 or 2 more times and suddenly you are thinking of N3X, instead of N1X smile smile.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Ok, You have confirmed what I suspected, the actual act of retiring is meant for the young. Congrats on the dinning room furniture!

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,431
Posts3,216,947
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission