2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (36251, accordeur, apianostudent, brdwyguy, Bostonmoores, benj.ma, bobrunyan, anotherscott, AlphaTerminus, 13 invisible), 1,075 guests, and 477 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3072657 01/22/21 11:39 AM
B
Balcon Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hey everybody! Happy weekend!

I’m just wondering if there’s any piano books I can read to understand theory better. I’ve just subscribed to the pianist magazine but looking for some books I can read which doesn’t require a piano.

(I have a lot of spare time at work and want to continue to develop myself as a pianist)

Or if there are any particular books from musicians that you think would help?

Thank you for your time.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I worked through ABRSM music theory levels 1 to 5 with my teacher. Level 1. If you don't have a teacher the answer books are also available. After level 5 I selectively did parts of future levels.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I forgot to mention there are a couple of small pocket summary books but they are rather terse.

S
S
The American music professor named Toby Rush has written Music Theory for Musicians and Normal People which is free and in popular form. It begins with very basic music theory and continues to quite advanced topics.

B
Balcon Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you both!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I recommend this one and associated answer book:

The Complete Elementary Music Rudiments, 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBLQLMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_lnYcGbT32MJ9E

TSCRA - The Complete Elementary Music Rudiments, 2nd Edition: Answer Book https://www.amazon.com/dp/155440278...c_WoYcGb8XW0XPX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Publisher’s description:
Perfect for older beginners and adult students, this book teaches everything from the Elementary Music Rudiments Series, 2nd Edition, in one book with accompanying Answer Book. Effective for private study or as a school or college text

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 01/22/21 03:15 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
B
Balcon Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you weaklefthand!

J
J
If you like 'workbook' style, check out the Fundamentals of Piano Theory series by Keith Snell.

A
A
The Royal Conservatory of music has work books from absolute beginner to highest levels. They are a very hands on approach.

M
M

Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
The "Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory: A Complete Self-Study Course for All Musicians (includes 2 CDs)" is well edited and has no superfluous content. There are several versions available. There is a 1998 version (white cover with 16 boxes) and a 2004 version (orange with a few more pages). Some versions have CDs included with some basic ear training. The complete versions contains all 3 books (the three books are sold individually also).
https://www.alfred.com/essentials-of-music-theory/b/?page=1&sort=popularity

If you like Jazz, Alfred's also publishes a Jazz theory book, which is more advanced.
https://www.alfred.com/alfreds-essentials-of-jazz-theory-complete-1-3/p/00-20812/

P
P
I joined a community college class. Seemed easier when a teacher was explaining and quite cheap. Music 1.

N
N
My teacher has been working through this book with me: https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basi...no+theory&qid=1611614014&sr=8-1.

So far I have not encountered anything I did not know previously but since I am a returning student, it makes a lot of sense. I would say it could suit your purpose. Have not finished it yet though. If you want to work from the very fundamentals though (starting from identifying notes and practicing identifying notes), you might give it a go. Although, I'd probably just go with other people's recommendations, figured I'd list what I'm using too. smile

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Balcon
Hey everybody! Happy weekend!

I’m just wondering if there’s any piano books I can read to understand theory better. I’ve just subscribed to the pianist magazine but looking for some books I can read which doesn’t require a piano.

(I have a lot of spare time at work and want to continue to develop myself as a pianist)

Or if there are any particular books from musicians that you think would help?

Thank you for your time.

Hello again PWABF.

It’s been a while since i was last here, lotta life has happened in between. Since recently experiencing a bit of a returned sense of piano-learning mojo, i’m back at a familiar place, so to speak .... picking and choosing activities to help further myself along in the intermediate-adult-learning process that for me has me in a place that is removed BUT effectively not far removed from true beginner 😐 .... my true beginning happened in the spring of 1971, lasted about 6 weeks before i stopped so as to have more time to devote to Little League Baseball 😢 (true) ... then resumed in the summer of 2014 at the age of 55.

Be this as it may, music theory as it relates to my piano endeavors is high on the short list of my renewed learning priorities. With so much PW history & archives plus the attendant many many people/personalities/threads/posts as a potential resource, a minor priority is trying to provide acceptable input to a given PW forum that likely already has similar input spread across many months, threads & replies ..... and this minor prefers to find an existing thread into which i can post/comment rather than reinventing, again, the same/similar PW wheel, IE. finding an appropriate, existing thread rather than creating a new one ..... itself somewhat of it’s own “theory “ dilemma .... work with me 😊

Okay, enough boring you with some of my bio background, i was pleasantly surprised to have recently found an on-line book of basic piano music theory in which there are many resources referenced, most if not all of them on-line, to include Piano World!

Disclosure - i have no affiliation with the author, who himself admits to being an Adult Beginner! ... this is not intended to disturb folks who may dismiss him at face value as a worthy teacher of this subject 🙃

http://www.lakesidepress.com/PianoSyllabus.pdf

excerpt from page 145 of 152:

“ .... Encyclopedic Sources - websites
• Highly recommended is www.basicmusictheory.com. There you can look up any scale, chord or interval, and have a full explanation.
• Another comprehensive website is www.musictheory.net
• Piano World is a website for everything piano. It includes piano forum, an online
discussion of every conceivable topic related to pianos and piano playing
https://pianoworld.com/

PianoTV.net - Comprehensive set of Youtube vid .... “

My apologies for unintended redundancy if this is already been-there, done-that old news here. IMHO, learning music theory is its own long endeavor by itself without being attached to a person endeavoring to be a player of any one or more instruments .... in other words, anyone can easily spend a lay-lifetime or 4, 8 or more years of college or other advanced study in becoming better learned in music theory ..... ergo, some piano beginners may well have better results if they first begin learning relevant theory from a beginner’s theory resource before delving into more advanced theory resources.

Best regards,

-drew

Last edited by drewr; 07/03/21 01:07 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
Second the ABRSM grade 1 to 5…and Alfred essential.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Seth Monahan has a whole series of videos on music theory and they are absolutely amazing:
https://youtube.com/c/SethMonahan/

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
This is a great thread and good question.

Originally Posted by Piano-no-jitsu
I joined a community college class. Seemed easier when a teacher was explaining and quite cheap. Music 1.

How did you like taking a class? I was thinking about doing this as I can't keep the momentum going on theory study on my own. I also study theory with my teacher but I don't think it's a good use of costly lesson time.

Originally Posted by Solon
The American music professor named Toby Rush has written Music Theory for Musicians and Normal People which is free and in popular form. It begins with very basic music theory and continues to quite advanced topics.
I really like how this one is written very easy to read.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning and strong emotions...
by CianistAndPomposer - 09/16/21 06:21 PM
Gift Piano from Elton John?
by JohnSprung - 09/16/21 04:54 PM
Kawai ES520 user's own thread
by 36251 - 09/16/21 04:11 PM
For those who love Martha Argerich...
by AaronSF - 09/16/21 03:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,142
Posts3,132,749
Members102,751
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission