2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (8ude, brennbaer, Buzz209, 36251, Blague, brdwyguy, 13 invisible), 983 guests, and 475 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sail26 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
To you professional piano tuners.

I'd like to learn some piano tuning to keep my personal piano in better tune in between professional tunings. I have no intention of replacing professionals, just not letting my piano get as far out in between. Does Entropy and similar software that helps set a temperament work? Is there any risk of harm to my piano if I'm very slow and gentle? I like to learn some ear tuning techniques too but if this is a way to get my feet wet and help to keep my personal piano, or a neglected family piano, a bit closer in tune I'd like to give it a shot.

Kawai K500 (2021)
Kawai 502S (1996)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Entropy probably isn't the best choice for what you describe. Sometimes it does great, but the last I heard, there were random times/pianos where it didn't calculate a very nice tuning.

Tunelab is the one a lot of owners start with. I believe there is still an evaluation download available that pauses from time to time until you purchase. PiaTune is another one that has a free download with pauses. PianoMeter is great and has a $25 option that will tune without pauses.

If money isn't really a concern, then Veritune is what I would recommend for the software to come up with the 'best' matched tuning for individual pianos. Honestly, though, there are techs that use all of the major software piano-specific tuning programs with good results.

One thing to consider is if you want to replicate your tech's tuning, or create a tuning with the software. Realize those may end up with different results. Tunelab might be the easiest to "save" your tech's tuning note-by-note - that's how some other owners have started.

Realize that you will probably want to tune unisons (two or three strings together) by ear. That's a good place to start even without a machine: Find an objectionable note. Mute off the left string and play the note - better or the same out-of-tune? If the same, repeat with the right and then the center. What you want to find is a note where 2 of the 3 strings sound in tune with each other. Then adjust the 3rd to come into agreement with the others. If that goes well for you, then proceed. If that doesn't go well and you need to tune each string to a display, look for the most sensitive movement of the display to assist you.

Ron Koval

S
Sail26 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank-you Ron. Really great info.

Kawai K500 (2021)
Kawai 502S (1996)
A
A
As RonTuner says, best place to start would be tidying up unisons. You'll probably find that a lot of the "out of tuneness" you hear between tunings is down to individual strings dropping very slightly. When you find that intervals/chords are starting to make you wince, that would be the time to get the tuner to visit again!

Do buy yourself a decent tuning lever though; none of the eBay tuning kits, as the tuning tips are very likely to damage the wrest pins. Would be worth asking your tuner to help you buy a good lever; that way they'll know what you're using, and you'll be happy that you're using the proper tool for the job. I've helped a couple of customers buy levers, and was very happy to show them how to use it properly smile

Started work at the Blüthner piano re-building workshop in Perivale, UK, in 1989. Self employed since 2000. Learning something new about pianos every day... smile

http://www.hamiltonpianos.com/
S
Sail26 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Adypiano
Do buy yourself a decent tuning lever though; none of the eBay tuning kits, as the tuning tips are very likely to damage the wrest pins. Would be worth asking your tuner to help you buy a good lever; that way they'll know what you're using, and you'll be happy that you're using the proper tool for the job. I've helped a couple of customers buy levers, and was very happy to show them how to use it properly smile

Funny story that. I actually do have a lever already, I bought it back in highschool with the same plan, but got caught up in life and school and ended up not doing much piano in the last almost 20 years. It's a rosewood handle, feels super heavy duty, and was bought from Ebay back in about 2001 or 2002 for just over $100 if I recall. So probably before cheap Chinese stuff was on there. I don't see any markings or anything on it to indicate its manufacturer. I'll show it to my tuner when he comes out and sees if he thinks it's decent. Here it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tmCituGjAiZJpt_-P9jUqS1k37c1mDrN/view?usp=sharing

Kawai K500 (2021)
Kawai 502S (1996)
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
That looks very nice. A good quality extension lever. Maybe a little heavy to use for a full day of four or five tunings, but I'm sure it will be fine for what you need.

A
A
Originally Posted by Sail26
Originally Posted by Adypiano

Funny story that. I actually do have a lever already, I bought it back in highschool with the same plan, but got caught up in life and school and ended up not doing much piano in the last almost 20 years. It's a rosewood handle, feels super heavy duty, and was bought from Ebay back in about 2001 or 2002 for just over $100 if I recall. So probably before cheap Chinese stuff was on there. I don't see any markings or anything on it to indicate its manufacturer. I'll show it to my tuner when he comes out and sees if he thinks it's decent. Here it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tmCituGjAiZJpt_-P9jUqS1k37c1mDrN/view?usp=sharing

Very nice lever Sir! Have you considered a career in piano tuning...?! laugh

Definitely a good plan to have your tuner have a look at it, just to make sure the tip fits your wrest pins properly. All the best woth your tuning endeavours!

Started work at the Blüthner piano re-building workshop in Perivale, UK, in 1989. Self employed since 2000. Learning something new about pianos every day... smile

http://www.hamiltonpianos.com/
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sail26
To you professional piano tuners.

I'd like to learn some piano tuning to keep my personal piano in better tune in between professional tunings. I have no intention of replacing professionals, just not letting my piano get as far out in between. Does Entropy and similar software that helps set a temperament work? Is there any risk of harm to my piano if I'm very slow and gentle? I like to learn some ear tuning techniques too but if this is a way to get my feet wet and help to keep my personal piano, or a neglected family piano, a bit closer in tune I'd like to give it a shot.
Forget Entropy as its development stopped a couple of years ago. I recommend you use PianoMeter but not just for temperament but for single strings of the whole piano. The other choir strings should be tuned aurally to the PianoMeter tuned string. If you are rich then by all means spend £500 on Verituner!
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
ear training advice
by Ezeriel - 06/22/21 10:28 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,654
Posts3,106,283
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission