2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 15 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
A few of us are working on these inspired by CyberGene's DIY hybrid midi controller. Because what he built is so cool!

And I've been documenting my progress (or.... lack of progress!) on youtube. Its fun to get something working and then make a short video of it, and try to explain my thinking (haha, or... well, lack of thinking)

Just now I posted a video on the algorithm and thought maybe others would enjoy since my test system is able to capture and plot piano hammer dynamics. I find it interesting to see what hammers are doing.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
That's very cool and very interesting. It shows how the interaction between hammer and string is very hard to model and to convert into a single velocity number. Kudos for this work!!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks!

Next up, I am building the printed circuit boards.

J
J
What are you doing to get your "hammer position" measurements in those graphs? I'm pretty sure there's some important nonlinearity between the phototransistor current and the distance. And depending on how you convert that current to a voltage, there might be more issues. All of that could easily make the velocity look more varying than it is.

(I keep meaning to set up a CNY70 and a reflective surface on some sort of linear stage and take a series of current readings at varying distance, to duplicate figure 9 of the data sheet.)

Those adapter boards like you show in video 2 make me nervous for digital parts. Getting decoupling caps in there nice and close ends up being more of a pain than soldering down the TQFP part.

Last edited by JayKominek; 01/19/21 01:28 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
Good point, I should have stated measurement of hammer plus measurement system!

I've debated including a calibration step. And, regarding the boards, yes, I have a custom PCB in progress.

We need a forum for - piano DIY / Maker / building your own electronics, software, hardware, instruments, etc smile

O
O
Hi,

Great video, but your Damper jack should be activated at Half of the Pressed key (1/2):

the Damper is up to early :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLuIYDJClsk

And the Hammer is to low :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hOnMcsUh_c&list=PLyhFrvLWlRkAhfIf0PaJ1l5fH7Qky-ZS9&index=22

your Hammer sample is not well regulated like a Grand Piano

Last edited by owfrappier; 01/20/21 04:49 AM.

Mac mini M2 pro with 16 Gb - 512 internal SSD - 1+2 Tb external USB SSD for samples - order of preference : 1)VSL SYNCHRON Steinway D-274 audio chained in Pianoteq 8 for SSR resonances and noises scripted in Logic 10 DAW - 3) Ivory 3 with some tweaks 3) Pianoteq 8 Steinway B
O
O
here better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhkntn8PBYM

With a good regulated sample : simulation and measurements will be more like real Grand Piano behaviour

Last edited by owfrappier; 01/20/21 05:02 AM.

Mac mini M2 pro with 16 Gb - 512 internal SSD - 1+2 Tb external USB SSD for samples - order of preference : 1)VSL SYNCHRON Steinway D-274 audio chained in Pianoteq 8 for SSR resonances and noises scripted in Logic 10 DAW - 3) Ivory 3 with some tweaks 3) Pianoteq 8 Steinway B
O
O
And Damper action distance :

https://youtu.be/bDgpLYn9774?t=359

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
On the Cybrid I measure the velocity in the last 1.5mm of the hammer travel because the hammer flies freely there, the escapement is set at 1.5mm, so this guarantees that there won't be any unpredictable movement caused by your finger pushing the key up to the string and staying there which you show in your video. So, problem solved smile Make sure you regulate your action exactly according to standards: escapement 1-3mm, blow distance of 47mm, hammer drop same as escapement (measured further below the escapement point), check distance 15-17mm. And damper usually lifts off the string exactly at halfway through the key travel, hence also the hammer travel, so measuring if the hammer is above/below 24mm can provide indications of damper position too which is how Cybrid works, as well as NV10.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/20/21 06:33 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stemPianist
We need a forum for - piano DIY / Maker / building your own electronics, software, hardware, instruments, etc smile

I vote for this!. A Telecommunications Engineer here with a 22 years on electronics R&D career (and programming since 1982). On 2012 I left R&D but no electronics, and in 2018 I began playing synths and piano, and also started fixing synths (for myself initially). So, yes, we need a DIY sub-forum!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV

I vote for this!. A Telecommunications Engineer here with a 22 years on electronics R&D career (and programming since 1982). On 2012 I left R&D but no electronics, and in 2018 I began playing synths and piano, and also started fixing synths (for myself initially). So, yes, we need a DIY sub-forum!

In case people here haven't seen Jay is way, way ahead with a project like this one. See https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Del Vento
In case people here haven't seen Jay is way, way ahead with a project like this one. See https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion

Haha..wait.. what? Is it a contest? This was supposed to be a fun little side hobby, now I am starting to feel stressed out.

Juuust joking smile The projects I have seen all are taking different approaches, including comparing my approach to the project you mention. Jay's project is cool! I am building just something for me.

And I think there are even more possible ways to approach this kind of a project too. And, other DIY style piano projects that are possible.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I feel really lucky that I created my project without having competition 😀 If there was even the slightest one, it would mean I abandon everything immediately. Especially in a field where I’m a complete noob and especially if it involves multiple fields where I’m a complete noob, such as in a DIY hybrid piano: electronics, machinery, piano regulation, woodworking, design, low level programming, etc. Looking at how pathetic Cybrid is compared to Jay’s project now, I’m certain I wouldn’t even have thought of starting such a project 🤣 And I worked for almost two years on it just because nobody else was interested, so I basically just did nothing for two years and most of my work was about resurrecting the sh1tty old action whereas everything else was probably worth it just two weeks of work... So lucky to be the first one 🤣 (and no, I’m not the first one either, but the other projects I’ve seen weren’t published or demoed extensively).

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/22/21 07:24 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Don't sell yourself short like that, Cybergene.

You're kind of like the George Dantzig of homebrew hybrids smile What you accomplished and built is beyond impressive!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
J
J
I finally got a CNY70 sensor hooked up to my action, and recorded some video of the oscilloscope displaying the output from the sensor.

Seems like a very nice signal to me.

(The fuzz is at ~120Hz, so it's probably related to power lines some how. Not too worried, I've got a bunch of long cables involved in this little experiment.)

S
OP Offline
S
This weekend I got my first printed circuit board working (the "easy" one). Now to the second.

Once both boards are running, I think that eliminates most technical risk and then its just assembly. Although, I have many more ideas for the real-time software side.

Been trying to document every step and detail on youtube. I got behind and recent caught them all up.
Apologies in advance to anyone who attempts to suffer through any, as they are a bit nerdy smile

So here is today's accomplishment -

Also, Jay, thanks for sharing the interesting video!

J
J
Also, Jay, thanks for sharing the interesting video!

Glad you liked it. There are some more pictures and video over on my github project.

Soldering tip(s): Hold the solder itself, not the solder container. You'll have much more control. And if the solder is getting too hot to hold directly, something else is going wrong. Get a flux pen and go absolutely nuts with it. If you're worried about flux smoke, get a solder station with a pump that puts an extraction nozzle right next to the soldering iron tip. It's common on inexpensive rework stations. (Switching to SMT will also use a lot less solder.)

C
C
tl;dr goals?

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the feedback.

And I got the end-to-end data path running!

This time I put a block diagram as video preview. So, no need to watch the video to see what is now working.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
backcheck on your action model is adjusted completely wrong

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission