2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (chopin_r_us, Boboulus, Barde, c.debussy, dlee1001, clothearednincompo, aphexdisklavier, 8 invisible), 410 guests, and 552 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3069382 01/15/21 11:39 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi

For what it's worth I'd like to say I'm extremely pleased with my new installment of the Abbey Road Studios Yamaha CFX Concert Grand piano library from Garritan, well worth the price for the full version, just alongside Vienna Symphonic Library's version of the CFX.

However after purchase i was faced with a rather convoluted installation process, after hours of complying with the installation instructions i was left completely confused.

There are so many different directories created throughout the file system with groups of folders and files and plists leaving the user completely confused, the whole installation process is heavily taxed and complicated.

Not sure who's behind the infrastructural design of the CFX installation process, but it would certainly help consumers more if it were systematically mapped out to be more basic and user friendly.

Having said that its a credit to Garritan for providing software musicians with what i believe to be the best sampled piano out there,

I would definitely recommend this library to any serious piano player.

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals
U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
It's a good libary.

Not a fan of the installation process either. Also you can't re-locate files (as far as i know) so if you want to move any files you need a full re-install.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
It's definitely a fair point about the file structure, especially for those of us old-schoolers who remember MacOS applications as all being a single file/package that could be moved anywhere! Added to that being the fact that some of us actually move/delete CFX files to get rid of perspectives/mics we never use. But I agree, despite all that, it's still an excellent library, and my favorite VST (not that I've tried a lot).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
That's one thing (of many) that I appreciate about VSL's samples. They can be relocated even on a separate SSD and then the pathway reset in their DAW (Synchron Player). I have moved a few of their libraries onto an external SSD and they run fine.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I am surprised to hear about installation difficulties with Garritan CFX. I am a bona fide, digital simpleton, but managed to get mine installed, even with my computer not connected to the internet (at least for CFX Lite, I did connect for the full CFX upgrade).

Now you have me worried that I completely missed something! shocked

Last edited by Ralphiano; 01/15/21 01:27 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
I didn't have any real problems with the install, it just takes ages with garritan, that's my only real issue with it along with no option to re-locate files.

Minor issues to me, when installed it works fine, which is more important.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, it took some time to install but I agree the result is astounding thumb

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Tyr Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
My First World Problem: Loading the instrument takes too much time, even on my SSD drive.

Kawai: NV-5 | VPC-1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | VI Labs: Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Keysuite Grand | Minigrand
Tyr #3069573 01/15/21 08:19 PM
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Tyr
My First World Problem: Loading the instrument takes too much time, even on my SSD drive.

Add all the directories in which your samples are in the anti-virus' 'Do Not Scan directories' list. This dramatically improved loading Garritan CFX for me.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
C
C
Originally Posted by Osho
Originally Posted by Tyr

Add all the directories in which your samples are in the anti-virus' 'Do Not Scan directories' list. This dramatically improved loading Garritan CFX for me.

Osho

Can't +1 this enough.

I didn't measure the difference in loading time, but it no longer puts me off loading Garritan instead of a different library!

D
OP Offline
D
Just to note, anyone experiencing issue's regarding loading times with the CFX, i would definitely recommend Samsung's T7 Touch SSD, i have the full CFX version sample library installed on the T7, load times for any piano are about 6 - 8 seconds, super fast external storage for sample library's.

Last edited by DigitalMusicProduc; 01/16/21 01:08 AM.

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals
U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
Yes the loading time drastically improved here as well after adding the virus scanner exception.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Same here!. And I measured it. Now it takes 1/5 the time it took. Definitely a must do for all your VST related folders

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
G
G
Yeah putting the sample folder into an exception in your anti virus makes a drastic difference.
Also I forgot how to do it, but you can definitely relocate your sample directory. I think it was via a registry edit. Not much of a hassle once you know how to do it. I am sure someone in here will be able to help, I think I got that from here as well.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I knew how to do this when I used AVG ...
Add all the directories in which your samples are in the anti-virus' 'Do Not Scan directories' list.
But I had a problem with AVG and I uninstalled it.
Now I rely solely on Windows Defender. Does it offer a way to mark folders as "do not scan"?

U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Now I rely solely on Windows Defender. Does it offer a way to mark folders as "do not scan"?

Yes it does, I use it too.

My windows is in dutch language so I don't know exactly but I think it's in windows settings -> virus and security -> manage settings - > exceptions. Something like that.

Tyr Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr

Osho

Thanks Osho. Now it's booting in 6 seconds. smile

Originally Posted by MacMacMac

I'm also using the the Windows Defender only. Here we go:

Add an exclusion to Windows Security

Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings, and then under Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions.
Select Add an exclusion, and then select from files, folders, file types, or process.

Kawai: NV-5 | VPC-1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | VI Labs: Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Keysuite Grand | Minigrand

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq is a miracle
by meghdad - 05/09/21 05:59 AM
Garritan CFX hiss fix ?
by Barde - 05/09/21 04:15 AM
We remember and honor our heroes
by Maximillyan - 05/08/21 11:27 PM
Playing with others for Senior Recital
by suzukiparent - 05/08/21 11:09 PM
Surprise under 80 years of dust
by TimM_980 - 05/08/21 07:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,807
Posts3,091,375
Members101,455
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission