2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (c++, brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bruce In Philly, 25 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 622 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Where's the piano?

Online Content
Hello Don,

Originally Posted by dmd
Right now, using headphones .... my only issue is that when I reduce the volume (volume control slider) to a level that I would like, the sound becomes almost instantly a bit muffled. It clears up when I raise the volume but that is at a level I am a bit uncomfortable with. I like to be able to get the volume down without losing clarity.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have the "Low Volume Balance" setting (Basic Settings --> 1-4) set to?

I believe the default is "3", however it may be worthwhile increasing/decreasing this value, or disabling the feature completely.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Just out of curiosity, what do you have the "Low Volume Balance" setting (Basic Settings --> 1-4) set to?

I believe the default is "3", however it may be worthwhile increasing/decreasing this value, or disabling the feature completely.

I have had it on "5" without noticing anything significant.

I might try turning it off.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
No, just one that allows for parametric control.
The ES920 has a 4-channel equalizer on top of the keyboard.

In addition, there is an adjustment to those controls which can be made within the internal settings.

So, it appears to be fairly useful.

I have "fooled" with it and it does make a significan different in the volume of the various ranges of sound.

I will continue to work with that for a bit and see what I come up with.

Right now, using headphones .... my only issue is that when I reduce the volume (volume control slider) to a level that I would like, the sound becomes almost instantly a bit muffled. It clears up when I raise the volume but that is at a level I am a bit uncomfortable with. I like to be able to get the volume down without losing clarity.

I can do that if I run the sound from LINE OUT into my mixer and then utilize controls to reduce volume and listen with headphones on mixer headphone out.

So ... I can get around the issue ... I would just like to make the ES920 more to my liking when utilizing completely stand alone.

PMFJI --

The bold-faced behavior suggests that what dmd needs is "loudness compensation":

. . . Check "Fletcher-Munson Curve" on Google for a full explanation.

Some EQ -- appropriate boosts of bass and treble -- will probably help.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Online Content
Originally Posted by dmd

I have had it on "5" without noticing anything significant.

I might try turning it off.

Thanks Don, please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,
James
x

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
To put a wrap on this thread ....

I have been able to reach a point where I am beginning to turn the corner on adjusting to my ES920.

I am pretty sure my main issue was that I had been playing the MP11SE for 2 years and .... let's face it .... the ES920 is not the MP11SE.

So .... I have made a few adjustments and I now have a sound that at low volume is not muddy through both the headphones and speakers. That was my main issue and I have resolved that.

I am also much happier with the sound in general, so ..... thankfully .... I am not as "desperate" for an alternative sound speaker system.

So for now .... problem solved. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
To put a wrap on this thread ....

I have been able to reach a point where I am beginning to turn the corner on adjusting to my ES920.

I am pretty sure my main issue was that I had been playing the MP11SE for 2 years and .... let's face it .... the ES920 is not the MP11SE.

So .... I have made a few adjustments and I now have a sound that at low volume is not muddy through both the headphones and speakers. That was my main issue and I have resolved that.

I am also much happier with the sound in general, so ..... thankfully .... I am not as "desperate" for an alternative sound speaker system.

So for now .... problem solved. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Great!. Could you elaborate about the adjustments?. I think that would help other owners, current or future

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
... Could you elaborate about the adjustments?. I think that would help other owners, current or future

Here are some specific menu sections that I find useful ....

1-1 Tone Control - I Set Brilliance to -5

1-3 Speaker Vol. - I set it to LOW

2-1 Touch Curve - I set it to HEAVY1

2-2 Voicing - I set it to Dynamic

Don

Online Content
Originally Posted by dmd

That's true, however the internal sounds should be comparable.

Assuming that you were using monitor speakers with your MP11SE, have you tried connecting these to the ES920?

One other point to note is that the ES920 features "Spatial Headphone Sound" (SHS), which is enabled by default. Disabling this should take you closer to the MP11SE's headphone sound, which does not include this feature.

https://www.kawai-global.com/data/manuals/es920_es520/ES920_EN_R101.pdf#page=121

Kind regards,
James
x

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd

That's true, however the internal sounds should be comparable.

Assuming that you were using monitor speakers with your MP11SE, have you tried connecting these to the ES920?

I have and that sound is fine.

However, one of the main reasons I sold the MP11SE and went for the ES920 was for the internal speaker system.

Unfortunately, I am now finding it is not a sound I am happy with.

One other point to note is that the ES920 features "Spatial Headphone Sound" (SHS), which is enabled by default. Disabling this should take you closer to the MP11SE's headphone sound, which does not include this feature.

I have fooled with that setting and have not really noticed anything significant either way.

Don

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I found this topic timely and thought provoking because in less than a month (without further construction delays) I'll be moving into a new house where I'll have my digital piano in the same room as my hi-fi/home-theater speaker system for the first time.

I originally bought my Yamaha CVP ("baby grand" version) in large part because of its speaker system to use for VST's in a living room setting, and I've been very happy with it. But I'm looking forward to experimenting with playing vst's through vastly better speakers in stereo and full-surround configurations. I'll lose the piano-like dispersion pattern into the room from the CVP's built-in speaker arrangement (and that may take a lot of experimenting to simulate with the surround speaker arrangement in my theater), but I anticipate gaining a tremendous amount of clarity and fidelity from a very high-end electrostatic speaker system (which may prove to be too revealing for the sample quality).

There will probably be some surprises, and I'll write up a little review once I move and have time to experiment, and at least partially optimize the setup (probably 6-7 weeks from now).

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
Online Content
Originally Posted by dmd

I have and that sound is fine.

However, one of the main reasons I sold the MP11SE and went for the ES920 was for the internal speaker system.

Unfortunately, I am now finding it is not a sound I am happy with.

Okay, I see.

I think it would be better to compare the ES920's speaker system to that of the ES8, rather than an MP11SE with external monitor speakers.
I expect your ears may have become accustomed to the sound the monitor speakers, and may need some time to re-adjust to the internal speakers of the ES920.

Originally Posted by dmd

I have fooled with that setting and have not really noticed anything significant either way.

I believe you should definitely be able hear a difference in the stereo image/positioning of the headphone sound between the SHS "Wide" and "Off" settings.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,115
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission