2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (busa, astrotoy, ando, cygnusdei, 13 invisible), 456 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23
J
J
Dear all, I'm exiting ES920 club:

Like: Sound & build quality
Hate: Loud keybed

Time to get a new DP. ^^

Question to all ES920 owners:
When you set your volume high (75%-100%) do you notice an audible speaker dissortion when hitting the lower Bass-notes (e.g C1-C2) with the main piano sound ?
I tested 4 different ES920s and at least two of them had this issue (mainly left speaker). The other two I was not able to test this particular issue. I consider buying an ES920 and Really Want to know whether this is a issue related equally to all units or whether this is a flaw only apparent in single units.

Greetz Gaia

Last edited by GaiaImpact; 10/20/21 03:57 PM.
M
M
Hey, I actually tried 3 and they all had that same issue in the left speaker.

M
M
Not hearing that problem on mine. I rarely turn it up that loud but gave it a try for testing. ES920 was purchased in June of 2021.

P
P
We usually don't play at these volumes, max is around 50-60% and never had any problems with the speakers.
I just tried the different piano sounds at 100% volume and didn't noticed what you were saying. (that was loud for my room...)
I bought mine in November 2020 in Spain at the price of EUR 1395.

Adult Beginner - Kawai ES920 - Pianoteq Standard -
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I can drive the one we have at school to distortion if I push the volume and the eq too far (concurrently), but I don't really see that as a defect, rather the keyboard is giving the user complete control over the output sound. The piano sound is stereo, so it's not weird that the bass pans left and the treble to the right.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
P
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I can drive the one we have at school to distortion if I push the volume and the eq too far (concurrently), but I don't really see that as a defect, rather the keyboard is giving the user complete control over the output sound. The piano sound is stereo, so it's not weird that the bass pans left and the treble to the right.

You got a point there Terminal, I haven't thought of pushing the eq together with the volume.
I will give it a try tomorrow.

S
S
Just now revisiting thread from months ago. I have the ES-8 but was looking for a second piano for home studio.

Fwiw I ended up getting the MP-11se, got a pretty good price. Happy with the action and agree with reviews saying it’s the best Kawai portable action, better than my ES-8 which I have liked fine.

Used internal sounds exactly once to make sure everything worked ok. So I guess it’s a slightly expensive controller, but that’s fine. It’s a heavy but sturdy rascal:-)

Thanks for the quick responses !
The units I tested hab this vibration/ dissortion issue with EQ set to neutral on all sliders. However when I reduced the mid-low and low frequencies it became less appearant but still clearly noticable.

P
P
Originally Posted by GaiaImpact
Thanks for the quick responses !
The units I tested hab this vibration/ dissortion issue with EQ set to neutral on all sliders. However when I reduced the mid-low and low frequencies it became less appearant but still clearly noticable.

I tested mine yesterday with EQ set to neutral and volume set to max. There were no distorsions, and today i tested it with all EQ and volume at max and speakers volume in control panel at normal (there is only low and normal), and i noticed a change in sound and some distorsions but not really problematics, but it was as if the speakers had reached their max with low distorsions.
I think putting all the parameters to max will induce some distorsions, but with only the volume to max and control volume to normal there are none. (who wants to play with all EQ at + 6dB and volume all to max???).
At volume of 50% with some EQ (for my room) I get a clear sound, really loud to have good piano practice. More than that, it will be too much for my ears and neighbours.....

On the other hand, if out of 4 you get twice this problem (and the other 2 you havn´t tried it), it means that the probability that it comes from the unit is low. Have you tried them at the same shop?

Gaia I remember a thread where you were saying that you bought the P-515 and you were waiting for it, is there something wrong with your order and that is why you are considering to buy the ES920 now?

Last edited by playplayplay; 10/22/21 05:47 AM.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I tested at four different locations, today I went to one of the stores where I previously wasnt able to test the issue and the unit I tested had no dissortion at all.
You are right I ordered a P-515 they had trouble with delivery so I got a p-515 unit which they usually rent to customers. I had it like 7 days at home. The sound was gorgeous and the speakers aswell. But somehow I really struggled with the key action at home, didnt feel that way when testing the showroommodel. So I cancelled my order and now went on and gave the kawai another shot.

I had quite a lot of digitales at home this year (CA79, CLP-745, P-515) which I either sold or returned. The ES-920 hopefully is the last one I‘ll have at home. I ordered it today. Delivery is Monday. I hope to get a fine unit.

Once ist has arrived and I played on it dome time I will probably share my overall experience with it and if anyone is interested tell you my findings comparing it to the P515.

Greetz Gaia

Last edited by GaiaImpact; 10/22/21 06:46 PM.
H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@GaiaImpact, I hope you'll have your enjoyable (problem-free) piano early next week.

Yes, your impressions and comparison will be interesting to read!

Cheers and happy anticipation,

HZ

P
P
@Gaia , i feel sorry for you not having found a DP of your liking. All this made you loose not only money and time, but also must have been resulted in creating some frustations.
We have read in this forum that there are DP with problematic UI (Kawai CA79-99) which are giving bad users/clients experiences or bugs. I think in that case, that Kawai should put all its efforts to correct these.

Having said that, it seems it is not your case. I understood that what you bought did not match your expectations. I do think that it will be difficult for you to find something of your taste and most likely with the ES920.

After having read again your thread on the CLP-745, and please do not take me wrong, I do think you made an error in buying the ES920, because it will go against your feelings/impressions.
You said there that you didn´t like the RHIII and that you found the new samples of Kawai not of your liking. In that case, the probability that you will dismiss the new DP is quite high. (OTOH you were quite positive first on the P-515 and one week later you gave it back maybe now it will be the other way around..).

May be you should allow you more time to get use to the DP, or maybe you should lay down your expectations on those DP, in the end they are 1500/2500 euros products in a 400-9000euros market.

I can understand that a DP does not match the expectations of a particular pianist (but not that the pianist make a generality of that), I can not accept from a company to sell me a problematic or faultry product.

Last edited by playplayplay; 10/23/21 02:58 AM.

Originally Posted by playplayplay
May be you should allow you more time to get use to the DP, or maybe you should lay down your expectations on those DP, in the end they are 1500/2500 euros products in a 400-9000euros market.

You are right. I definetly will need to give the Instruments more time to get used to them.
With the CA79 I just was unlucky and received a faulty unit with UI issues, clicking keys and hissing/buzzing speakers.

The 745 mostly was fine but I somehow missed some colour in the tone.

The P515 sounded gorgeous and was fun to play but the action kinda made scared of buying it. And weirdly the showroommodel was nice and light but the action in my unit was really stiff. I would have loved to buy the showroommodel but the dealer didnt want to dell it.

With the ES-920 there are some things I like about it and some things I don‘t as you mentioned. Especially some notes in the treble sounded really harsh to me, luckily I found out you can adjust volume and brilliance for every single key (which was not possible with the 3000€ CA79 ??). Which is a good quality of life feature.

So as I write all this. Even if I don’t feel like it I might be more of a picky guy.

However I decided for myself that this will be the last one I buy and no matter how much I like or dislike it, I will just keep it. I‘m really tired and as you said all this made me not only lose money and time but also nerves.

R
R
I actually have the same issue with certain low notes buzzing, did you manage to resolve it?

M
M
Had the issue with 3 separate models, but was not able to solve it. Is yours also coming from the left speaker? Ended up returning because of this, but I liked everything else frown

R
R
Yeah from the left. Only on low notes, but doesn't happen through headphones. Everything else seems fine - did you consider trying to get it fixed under warranty? Assume something must be loose inside

M
M
Yeah, same here. Issue only occurs on speakers, not with headphones. I didn't consider that. I was thinking at this price point, everything should be perfect from the start. I do remember placing my hand under the piano and feeling a strong vibration only on the left. Yeah, I think some loose components were causing cabinet resonance because of the plastic frame.

C
C
Originally Posted by GaiaImpact
[quote=playplayplay]
The P515 sounded gorgeous and was fun to play but the action kinda made scared of buying it. And weirdly the showroommodel was nice and light but the action in my unit was really stiff. I would have loved to buy the showroommodel but the dealer didnt want to dell it.
I have read in many places (and have heard a few local music store guys say it) that Yamaha DP actions (I assume other brands as well) "loosen up" a bit with use. Kind of like a breaking in. I would bet a lot of money had you kept the Yamaha and played it for a few weeks/months, it would have felt much like the one you played in the store.

Last edited by ClemFandango; 10/29/21 01:27 PM.
P
P
I am in the unfortunate circumstance of not being able to try the ES920. My local guitar center does not have it nor does my local piano shop with Kawai pianos. They only have the CA series on the showroom floor.

I'm trying to upgrade from my Yamaha P-95, which is about 8 years old at this point from when I bought it. The action on that piano is fine except when I try to play chords, pianissimo, near the fall board.

1) My main concern is how easy it is to press keys near the fall board. Of course the more expensive GF actions are better but I was wondering how the RHIII fares.

2) For those of you who ordered the ES920 on backorder, how many weeks or months did you all have to wait from the time you ordered to when you got a notification that your ES920 was being shipped to you? My local guitar center is offering a small discount due to holidays vs local kawai dealership which is firm on not budging on the price.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind on the second question. Sweetwater confirmed what the Kawai sales rep told me (which I didn't take at face value the first time I heard it). Kawai has suspended the making of this piano until July of next year 2022.

Last edited by Pachi; 11/29/21 01:24 AM.
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
David Lai -- Mozart K. 482
by HZPiano - 12/04/21 03:08 AM
Allegretto from Granados Escenas Romanticas Fingering
by luthierone - 12/03/21 11:57 PM
Ohio Valley Gem
by Jayekanan - 12/03/21 11:10 PM
For those who play David Nevue
by ShiroKuro - 12/03/21 10:39 PM
Tone of a Fazioli Piano and How to Voice it?
by PianoLover123 - 12/03/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,377
Posts3,150,505
Members103,510
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission