2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I currently own a white Yamaha P115 and considering changing it for either a Casio PXS1000 or maybe a Kawai ES100.

I'm a bit fed up of the white colour for a start (probably a mistake) and so i'm looking for a nice black piano that's a bit more up to date. The Casio stands out to me. I've read some good reviews, especially regarding the sound quality and key action.

My dilemma is that i enjoy the bright clear Yamaha grand piano sound on the P115. It's what i'm accustomed to. I've watched Youtube clips of the Casio and it does sound a bit more dull and mellow to me? But it could just be how i'm hearing it through my computer. Without being able to test one in person at the moment it's hard to compare.

Question: would you recommend the casio or would you stick with the P115? Does the Casio have a superior sound quality/action?

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
What's your budget? If you like Yamaha's sound - you should consider Yamaha P125 or P515 - depending on the budget. Also, wait for NAAM announcements next week as there may be upgrades to these models (and similar ones from Kawai, Roland).

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by PaulWeikert
Does the Casio have a superior sound quality/action?

There are people who hate Casio's piano sound.

There are people who say that the PX-S key action is severely flawed.

And then there are people who like the PX-S models.

Opinions vary and it's difficult to come up with objective ways to measure the "goodness".

To call it "superior" doesn't sound right.

And do you mean Kawai ES110 or the old ES100? The latter would have to be a used unit.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kawai ES110 wins.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The CASIO PX-S1000 is very good .... except .... the short key length makes it difficult to press keys down near the back of the keybed.

I owned one, and still have it.

Will be trying to sell it.

If you do not have much need to press keys down near back .... should be fine.

I would pick the Kawai ES110 for sound and keys.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm biased. I like the Casio's keyboard touch and I enjoy the Grand Concert Piano setting almost exclusively. The only other keyboard I am intimately familiar with is my 60 year old Baldwin Acrosonic, and I prefer to play my Casio because I feel I have more control over what comes out of it than I do with the Baldwin.

Last edited by trooplewis; 01/11/21 08:09 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW--

IMHO, none of your "candidate replacements" offers a significant improvement in overall quality.

With a P-115 already in the house, consider saving up for a while, and doing a _real_ upgrade:

. . . P-515
. . . whatever the replacement is, for the Kawai ES-8;
. . . a Roland FP-90, which might be on sale since its replacement
. . . .... . FP-90X was just announced.

Or see if you can arrange to use a computer for your sound generator, and experiment with VST's (Pianoteq, etc), played from the P-115 keyboard.

Waiting for NAMM announcements might be worthwhile.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
O
O
You must try before you buy. Don't even bother with YouTube and reviews... The reality is often far different. Sound and feel are very personal, what one person loves another will hate.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
M
M
Out of those options, I personally like the Kawai, but if you can setech you budget, you could get a Yamaha P515, Kawai ES920, or the soon to be released Roland FP90X (just announced) as the above person mentioned.

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
FWIW--

IMHO, none of your "candidate replacements" offers a significant improvement in overall quality.

With a P-115 already in the house, consider saving up for a while, and doing a _real_ upgrade:

. . . P-515
. . . whatever the replacement is, for the Kawai ES-8;
. . . a Roland FP-90, which might be on sale since its replacement
. . . .... . FP-90X was just announced.

Or see if you can arrange to use a computer for your sound generator, and experiment with VST's (Pianoteq, etc), played from the P-115 keyboard.

Waiting for NAMM announcements might be worthwhile.

+1

M
M
Originally Posted by OU812
You must try before you buy. Don't even bother with YouTube and reviews... The reality is often far different. Sound and feel are very personal, what one person loves another will hate.

Agreed here. The sound and action is very subjective to people’s tastes, and it is ideal to try them out in person before buying, as one need to get both the sound and more importantly, the feel (action) of the instrument.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks all for your advice. I think I'll wait until I can test in person and see what the NAMM announcements are.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission