2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bach_ingMaddie, antune, BlakeOR, accordeur, ambrozy, anotherscott, bluebilly, agoode, 13 invisible), 1,115 guests, and 523 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Originally Posted by auralerogeny
And imagine playing a piano concerto with a sniper in the audience telling you that if you miss a single note, he will kill you.


I'd be dead many times over, and then some. Just call me "wrong note Rick". smile

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by auralerogeny
And imagine playing a piano concerto with a sniper in the audience telling you that if you miss a single note, he will kill you.


I'd be dead many times over, and then some. Just call me "wrong note Rick". smile

Rick
Oh come Rick you would be able to do it because you improvise on chords so well. The sniper ( who knows his the piece) will just think "Oh ornamentation ! "

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/05/21 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,430

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,430
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by auralerogeny
And imagine playing a piano concerto with a sniper in the audience telling you that if you miss a single note, he will kill you.


I'd be dead many times over, and then some. Just call me "wrong note Rick". smile

Rick
Oh come Rick you would be able to do it because you improvise on chords so well. The sniper ( who knows his the piece) will just think "Oh ornamentation ! "


Rick, for me, having millions of views would be worse than a sniper!!


How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!



Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by auralerogeny
And imagine playing a piano concerto with a sniper in the audience telling you that if you miss a single note, he will kill you.


I'd be dead many times over, and then some. Just call me "wrong note Rick". smile

Rick
Oh come Rick you would be able to do it because you improvise on chords so well. The sniper ( who knows his the piece) will just think "Oh ornamentation ! "

"Ornamentation". Okay, I like it, Lady Bird! I don't think I have heard that term used in piano performance. smile

Here's a real horror story, and a true story, though not a movie. It would, however, make for a good plot/story line for a real movie, involving a piano, I suppose. And, it is plenty scary. smile

Several years ago, I was invited to perform one of my original songs/arraignments, entitled "Road to somewhere", for the graduation ceremony at the Technical College where I taught for many years. The lyrics to the song are well suited for a graduation ceremony, because it talks about the road we travel in life, the choices we make and the destination we ultimately achieve, based on our particular choices in life, hence, the title of the song "Road to somewhere".

So, I had about 2 months to prepare for my performance, in front of an audience of about 2500, including my peers, coworkers, local dignitaries, community leaders, graduates/students and their families and friends. I was so excited and thought it would be an opportunity of a lifetime to perform my own, original song/arraignment while playing the piano and singing (either one of which can be challenging, and doubly challenging to do both, play and sing, at the same time).

I practiced and practiced and practiced some more. As the day of the graduation grew near, one of the coordinators of the graduation emailed me and said the song was great, but was over 5 minutes long, and asked if I could shorten the performance to about 3 minutes, because there were a lot of graduates, and time was a factor. I said yes, I could make it 3 minutes, by playing less between verses of the song.

As time grew closer to the day of the graduation, I practiced the condensed version more and more. I thought I had it down pat and well polished; I was ready, or so I thought. Since I was performing special music for the graduation ceremony, I wore a suit instead of the regular faculty graduation regalia attire (fancy words for cap and gown smile ). So, I went out and bought a new suit, black in color, and very nice, and expensive. But the occasion was special and I figured I deserved a new suit. I wanted to look nice, because all those people were going to hear me perform a new song they'd never heard before, unless they had watched it on my YouTube channel. smile

On graduation day, I was excited and very nervous. One of the coordinators and I went to the large Church earlier that morning, so I could rehearse my song on the 9 foot Kawai concert grand piano on the stage, which was also amplified with microphones because the auditorium was large, and the church services there were televised each Sunday. The college rented the venue for the graduation ceremony each year, because it was the largest venue in the area, that could hold an audience of up to 3000 people. The rehearsal went well, and I felt like a rock-star, sort of; I had played music in front of smaller audiences before during my music career, but never that many people (2500 + or -).

As the day progressed it was finally time to leave the college and drive to the Church, which was maybe 15 minutes away. When I arrived, I met in choir room in the rear of the Church, with all the other faculty, and administrators of the college. Some of the faculty noticed that I was dressed in a suit and not the normal graduation regalia. So, I had to do some explaining over and over again, that I was performing for the special music portion of the ceremony. Some of the faculty seem surprised, and asked me what I was performing. I had to explain over and over again that I was performing one of my own songs and arraignments on the piano.

My level of nervousness and anxiety was growing in intensity, as I was having to keep answering questions from other faculty members over and over again. Some of the faculty members seemed amused and would crack jokes about me performing, and some would laugh. It didn't seem very funny to me, because I was the brunt of the joke. It became rather irritating, and made me feel even more nervous and unsure of my decision to accept the invitation to perform for the graduation.

It was time for all the faculty and admins to march out and walk down the isle of the Church and take their seat on the stage. I walked with the faculty, but took a seat near the piano. There was a trio of professional musicians who were hired to play the traditional graduation march piece, "Pomp and Circumstance"; the trio consisted of a pianist, a flutist, and violin player, and they were very good musicians. This seemed to be another source of nervousness and anxiety, because I was sitting there, elbow to elbow with professional musicians, and I was somewhat of a "country bumpkin" who could play the piano a little by ear, and writes his own songs, for better or worse. I wondered what the professional musicians would think of me. The nervousness and anxiety seemed to swell to the point of being extreme and somewhat debilitating. At that moment in time, I wished I could find a hidden place, or a black hole to crawl into, or burry my head in the sand like an ostrich.

I begin to wonder what the implications/consequences would be of me just getting up and walking out of the auditorium, before the ceremony started. I thought to myself, Oh God, why did I get myself into this situation! I had suddenly changed my mind about being a rock-star. smile

Sorry for the long prelude to the real horror story, but it gets worse.

After the graduates march in, everyone is seated, and the musicians stop playing, the first speaker comes to the podium and offers a warm welcome to all present, and the program begins. For many years, the college had a tradition of having special music performed at the graduation, other than the "Pomp and Circumstance" performance. The gentleman who had performed the special music for many years, on his tenor saxophone, and was very good, by-the-way, had passed away the previous year. That is when they decided to invite me to perform my original song. I felt like I was helping to carry on a great tradition of having special music during the ceremony.

Well, it was my turn to perform, and I was introduce by the administrator. I sat at the piano, the older 9 foot Kawai concert grand, but very well prepped and tuned, and sounded fantastic! I had to readjust the mic stand, because the other pianist had moved it from where I had it during the rehearsal. As I began to play, I looked up and saw myself on this huge TV monitor, with a close-up of me. I was not prepared for that either. I looked over at the other faculty and administrators, all eyes on me, and I looked at the audience, most eyes on me. And, I could feel the other musicians looking at me intensely, anticipating what they were about to hear. Under intense pressure, and debilitating nervousness, I started playing my song. It is written in the key of D minor, and has a contemporary style, more or less.

It seemed that the weight of the world was suddenly on my shoulders, and I was full of regrets for torturing myself in such a way; this was not how I enjoyed my music, but was more like a horror story. As I began the introduction to the song, my muscle memory, which is predominantly what most by-ear players depend on, became disoriented and I heard a note that was dissonant. But I kept going and then began the singing portion of the song. I tried my best to put the nervousness and anxiety aside, with little success. But I kept trying to perform my original song to the best of my abilities. It was too late to turn back, and there was no opportunity for "fight or flight", though I did wish I could fly away like a bird or a butterfly and leave that unpleasantness behind. I kept playing, and singing, and trying to smile to cover the extreme anxiety I was feeling. I figured I had to make the best of a horrible situation I had gotten myself into. I was able to finish the song, and the condensed version, and it was still not soon enough for me.

A horror piano movie? It was more of a horror piano reality, and something I will never forget. After the ceremony, several people complimented me on my performance. But I honestly think they just felt sorry for me. It was, however, a valuable learning experience for me.

Oddly enough, they invited me back to perform the special music at the graduation the next year.

Sorry for the long post, but we are in the middle of terrible pandemic, and there is nothing good on TV, just reruns of my favorite TV shows, and I felt I was contributing to the horror movie thread, with a piano in it, although a true story. smile

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by auralerogeny
And imagine playing a piano concerto with a sniper in the audience telling you that if you miss a single note, he will kill you.


I'd be dead many times over, and then some. Just call me "wrong note Rick". smile

Rick
Oh come Rick you would be able to do it because you improvise on chords so well. The sniper ( who knows his the piece) will just think "Oh ornamentation ! "


Rick, for me, having millions of views would be worse than a sniper!!

I know what you mean, Ret! smile

I have dodged a few "sniper shots" via emails. I've gotten tens of thousands of emails over the years. Most are complimentary, but not all. My pride has been wounded pretty badly a few times, but I survived. smile

All the best!

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
OK just reading your whole experience Rick has made me nervous !
You know what they say when things go weird for the performer always seems worse to the performer than the audience.
The fact that they invited you back means it was successful.

Ornamentation in Classical music often means trills , mordant, slides, "arpeggio like chords".
A slide (used in Baroque music) one simply slides up 4, 3or 2 notes up to the "melodic note" in the melody line. This usually happens in the highest point of the melodic phrase.
But Rick I have often seen you play around the notes of the chord and not always strictly playing the notes of the song..
Well one could always try and incorporate an error into a song in a similar way I mean you probably do.( if you DO play a wrong note ? )

Talking about philosophy John Cage said "everything that happens in a performance "becomes part of a performance"
Of course he was being extreme , so the lady who coughs in the second row is also part of the performance 🎭 🙄???

However we do not have to go that far.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/05/21 11:29 PM. Reason: missing text
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
Of course now if someone coughs, alarm bells ring .Oh for the days we could go to concerts and movies ! 😢

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
OK just reading your whole experience Rick has made me nervous !
You know what they say when things go weird for the performer always seems worse to the performer than the audience.
The fact that they invited you back means it was successful.

Ornamentation in Classical music often means trills , mordant, slides, "arpeggio like chords".
A slide (used in Baroque music) one simply slides up 4, 3or 2 notes up to the "melodic note" in the melody line. This usually happens in the highest point of the melodic phrase.
But Rick I have often seen you play around the notes of the chord and not always strictly playing the notes of the song..
Well one could always try and incorporate an error into a song in a similar way I mean you probably do.( if you DO play a wrong note ? )

Talking about philosophy John Cage said "everything that happens in a performance "becomes part of a performance"
Of course he was being extreme , so the lady who coughs in the second row is also part of the performance 🎭 🙄???

However we do not have to go that far.

Lady Bird, if things were different, and we were not located on opposite sides of the North American Continent, (or in the midst of a horrible pandemic) I believe I'd hire you as my piano teacher. I could certainly use one, and a good one. smile

You impress me with your knowledge of the history of music, musicians, and composers, as well as the art of piano performance. And, your knowledge of pianos in general is quite extensive. My philosophy of learning is that if I want to learn something, I like to hang around others who know more about it than I do.

One of my New Year's resolutions/goals is to learn to read music more fluently. But as it stands, for me, playing the piano is more of a hobby and something I enjoy. It is certainly a lot of fun and a huge stress reliever, unless I'm performing at a college graduation ceremony. smile

And, yes, as I watch other professional pianists, especially jazz or blues pianists, they do indeed flirt around with notes that may seem out of bounds to an extent, within the key they are playing. I've learned a lot by watching other pianists play.

But, on occasion, my piano playing does sound like it could be part of a horror movie. smile

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
Rick I am not that free at lessons. But when someone has to play somewhere , the show has to go on . ....so good philosophy helps !
Its not a horror show when you play , only if you stop or get up and run away, which you do not.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/06/21 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
Rick you would always be welcome .As you say I am rather far.
This Covid thing though has ended my teaching for good now.
I miss it though.Life has become very strange. If one wants to do anything where others are around, one is masked and vigilant.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Rick you would always be welcome .As you say I am rather far.
This Covid thing though has ended my teaching for good now.
I miss it though.Life has become very strange. If one wants to do anything where others are around, one is masked and vigilant.

Hi Lady Bird,

Yes, life is indeed rather strange these days, with the COVID pandemic, and all that goes with it.

As for your piano teaching, I'm sure you were good at it, and enjoyed it. It is also good that you are retired now, and can spend more time doing the things you enjoy doing, like playing your new Schimmel K 132 concert vertical piano!

As for me, I'm enjoying my own retirement more and more. I've developed a routine of sort, and enjoying my personal time. Someone told me once, before I retired, that I would get bored sitting at home all day with nothing to do. Well, I do not sit at home all day with nothing to do, and I do what I want to do (like playing my pianos:-) usually on the spur of the moment, or what I need to do, and I'm not bored yet.

I did want to apologize, however, for the lengthy post earlier. As I read over it again this morning, it seemed a bit too long and too wordy. Maybe I should have saved that piano horror story (although true:-) and wrote about it in a book. smile

I suppose it just goes to show that some piano horror stories happen in real life, and are not always only in the movies. smile

All the best!

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
D
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
D
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
Not piano, and a much more humorous note, but the haunted organ playing in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken with Don Knotts comes to mind. :-)


Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,476
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,476
Hmmm...what would be worse a Sniper or continued views on YouTube. At least with the sniper I would only die once. wink


J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Rick you would always be welcome .As you say I am rather far.
This Covid thing though has ended my teaching for good now.
I miss it though.Life has become very strange. If one wants to do anything where others are around, one is masked and vigilant.

Hi Lady Bird,

Yes, life is indeed rather strange these days, with the COVID pandemic, and all that goes with it.

As for your piano teaching, I'm sure you were good at it, and enjoyed it. It is also good that you are retired now, and can spend more time doing the things you enjoy doing, like playing your new Schimmel K 132 concert vertical piano!

As for me, I'm enjoying my own retirement more and more. I've developed a routine of sort, and enjoying my personal time. Someone told me once, before I retired, that I would get bored sitting at home all day with nothing to do. Well, I do not sit at home all day with nothing to do, and I do what I want to do (like playing my pianos:-) usually on the spur of the moment, or what I need to do, and I'm not bored yet.

I did want to apologize, however, for the lengthy post earlier. As I read over it again this morning, it seemed a bit too long and too wordy. Maybe I should have saved that piano horror story (although true:-) and wrote about it in a book. smile

I suppose it just goes to show that some piano horror stories happen in real life, and are not always only in the movies. smile

All the best!

Rick
Rick I do not sit at home all day .Everyday we go for walks, we cannot visit people however. (or they us ) Our recorder group (flute) will start soon and we shall go there to play. It is
is safe and everyone is socially distanced in a large hall.

As for watching endless YouTube videos , that is something I do not remember saying that I do . Guns is something I am not interested in either.
Dying by a sniper bullet is better than catching a virus
which a doctor said "completely destroys the architecture of the lungs " By the time this happens, no doubt you have passed from this world. What a cheary subject 😍.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/06/21 07:38 PM. Reason: missing text
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
We are blessed because we live next to 2 natural parks with streams and the mountains in the background. So lovely for walking although sometimes we visit coffee shops., To recover from being cold and wet. I do not know if we will be able to carry on going for coffee however......

Anyway piano practice takes up an amount of time as well.
So please do not shoot me yet..... 🤪

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/06/21 08:11 PM. Reason: missing text
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,312
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
We are blessed because we live next to 2 natural parks with streams and the mountains in the background. So lovely for walking although sometimes we visit coffee shops., To recover from being cold and wet. I do not know if we will be able to carry on going for coffee however......

Anyway piano practice takes up an amount of time as well.
So please do not shoot me yet..... 🤪

Living near the natural parks sounds lovely, Lady Bird. And so does the coffee shops. smile

I like my morning coffee, a lot. I look forward to it every morning. I make my own coffee though, and it is quite good to me; as good as a certain well-known coffee shop coffee (SB), but that is just my subjective opinion.

I also have a daily exercise routine that I try to stick to, either walking or exercising in my home gym. And, of course, the piano is also a daily routine that I enjoy. Come to think of it, I'm well blessed in many ways.

As for the sniper fire, I try to avoid it at all costs. smile

As for the scary movies and piano playing, did I mention I'm a big science fiction buff? I love science fiction movies, and still a big fan of Star Wars. I always loved the scene where Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi visit the alien bar and the alien band is playing some good boogie-style music. The music is great and only pauses for a moment, when Obi-Wan's light-saber is energized, and then resumes, once his business is done with the light-saber. I suppose music really is a universal language. smile

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Distance of Grand Piano from wall
by Damien PG - 06/19/21 11:20 AM
Insomniac pianists
by Emery Wang - 06/19/21 10:56 AM
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,603
Posts3,105,153
Members101,857
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5