2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (aphexdisklavier, ambrozy, accordeur, BravoRomeo, 36251, Animisha, anotherscott, An Old Square, 11 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3065300 01/04/21 07:38 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hello everyone,

One of the pieces I am currently practicing is "The Sick Doll" (Tchaikovsky Op. 39, No. 7) from Tchaikovsky's Album for the Young. My teacher recommended I do syncopated [sustain] pedaling to add more emotion.

However when I try doing so, my leg always feels tense even though the heel is constantly grounded. The discomfort is most pronounced in the upper leg, especially near the hip. I believe this may be because I am continually anticipating when I should pedal.

Does anyone have any tips on how to relax my leg or how to make syncopated pedaling more natural (so that I am not worrying about it)?

Casio PX-160
Working On: Musette in D Major (Bach | BWV Anh. 126), Sonatina in C Major (Clementi | Op. 36, No. 1), The Sick Doll (Tchaikovsky | Op. 39, No. 7)
Sight-Reading: Bartok's Mikrokosmos, Schafer (Op. 45)
Exercises: Czerny (60 Little Studies)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
My thoughts:

Those larger muscles in the upper thigh/hip area are heavily used for balance while sitting. If you are overworking or lifting your entire leg (you may be doing it while thinking you are not), those muscles may be making a lot of emergency moves to keep you in balance while you over work the upper part of your pedaling leg. This could cause fatigue, strain, and soreness in that area.

Pay attention to your upper leg while pedaling. If it is attempting to raise up off the piano bench when you pedal, you may need to work at quieting the upper leg muscles and getting your pedaling done with a lot less motion. Play some non-sense sequence of notes so you won't be focused on getting the notes right, and can focus instead on watching what your upper leg is doing. Maybe 4/4 time, with the first measure all Cs, and the next measure all Ds, then back to Cs, then back to Ds, etc. And, pedal anew for each measure so the Cs don't sustain into the Ds. This should be simple enough so you can watch your leg.

If you see your upper leg raising more than what the simple rocking motion of the ankle causes, or, if you feel the muscles in the upper leg contracting to pull the entire leg up. then you may need to practice pedaling using only the muscles of the calf. I'd think the method in the preceding paragraph might make a nice simple exercise to single out the pedaling action for practice.

I think the movement for pedaling should come mostly, or entirely, from the muscles in the calf that pull the toe end of the foot upwards when the heel is on the ground.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I think it's mostly posture-related problem. You may be sitting too close or too far away from the piano. Bench height also matters. Try to find more comfortable position. You may also try to play in shoes with higher heels.

Another thing to pay attention to is how your leg moves. Try rolling your leg forward on the heel a little bit when you depress the pedal.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I think it's mostly posture-related problem. You may be sitting too close or too far away from the piano. Bench height also matters. Try to find more comfortable position. You may also try to play in shoes with higher heels.

Another thing to pay attention to is how your leg moves. Try rolling your leg forward on the heel a little bit when you depress the pedal.

Hi there,

A good advice of Iaroslav and Ralphiano, but perhaps this will also be helpfull: >>>
Piano posture

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you all! I incorporated your advice and the pain is gone!

First, I tried Ralphiano's C & D exercise and observed that my heel was indeed grounded. Still, the tension was in my upper leg.

Then with Iaroslav and Ralph's comments, things finally made sense; my sitting position was wrong. Half of my thighs were on the bench. The fact that they had to press against the cushion is probably were the tension came from. Sitting on the front half of the bench (5% of my upper leg still on the bench) made all the difference!

Turns out I have been sitting incorrectly all along. I always thought I was sitting on the front half of the bench, just as every pianist recommends. Now I realize that I entirely misjudged just how much of myself was on the back half of the bench.

Casio PX-160
Working On: Musette in D Major (Bach | BWV Anh. 126), Sonatina in C Major (Clementi | Op. 36, No. 1), The Sick Doll (Tchaikovsky | Op. 39, No. 7)
Sight-Reading: Bartok's Mikrokosmos, Schafer (Op. 45)
Exercises: Czerny (60 Little Studies)
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The pedals are designed for shoes. put ~ 1.5 inch of books or wood under your heel for balance. Or wear shoes, but why would ne1 want to do that. laugh

make sure the book doesn't extend under the pedal.

Last edited by jeffcat; 01/06/21 01:07 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyboard for practice
by lbuizza - 11/28/21 09:12 AM
removing dust from bridge using piano string,
by Maximillyan - 11/28/21 05:51 AM
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,283
Posts3,149,286
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission