2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (ajf0016, cygnusdei, clothearednincompo, Beemer, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, 12 invisible), 836 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi guys,

i have the opportunity to buy a used CVP-409 in good condition for 2500€.
Not sure if that is a good deal since the Piano is 12 years old but it was the high end model of the 400 series and probably cost around 8000€ new.

On the other hand I'm wondring if investing some more (4000€ ball park) in a newer model like the 705 would be the smarter move.
However I cannot find much information on older models to compare the features of the different series models.

I am wondering what your advice would be and if you know how the 409 compares to the later series models.
Thanks in advance for your help and time!

Cheers Chris

D
D
First of all, are you more interested in a digital piano with as good of an action as possible or are you more interested in the arranger side of the CVP?

If you are interested in a great piano experience, I'd skip the CVP line all together. If you're more interested in playing around with different rhythms, orchestrations and aren't critical about the action, a CVP could be for you.

I wouldn't spend £2500 on any 12 year-old digital piano, personally. I have a Tyros5 next to my piano so I'm not knocking arrangers.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
CVP series is like P-515 and Genos combined. The top of the line CVP offers VRM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Unless you are going to actually use all the arranger functions of CVP-409, and you are primarily a piano player - I think you may be better happy with a latest generation CLP series Yamaha DP (or a comparable Kawai).

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
D
D
There is a wikipedia page comparing the models: here
The details might not be 100% correct (I am pretty sure the CVP-509 does have iAFC for instance).

I would be careful spending 2500 euros on a 12-yr old piano. Those things wear down, especially the keys and their contact strips.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A twelve-year-old piano ...
The piano may be worn in ways you cannot see, in particular the key contacts.
The Yamaha sound engine from 2007 is pretty lame. Most any modern piano will sound better.

I advise against this purchase. But if you really want to buy it ... 2500 EUR is way too much for a piano this old.

Also, heed djvu10's advice: Are you seeking a piano with a good action? Or are you more interested in the arrangement features? You pay a BIG premium for the latter.

C
C
Actually I `m normally not pleased when my 3rd car or my 2nd piano get bashed verbally: The former is a 2001 Yaris, the latter a 1997 CVP 98 - both with lots of mileage already done and much more to come.

Ask me, what the repair costs of those were: Besides regular maintenance USD/EURO 0 on the first ( 246 Thsd km) 180 € for felt relacement and keyboard maintenance on the second (incl travel within the very expensive Hamburg area).

This my cvp 98 still is wonderful, I made my "personal" piano mixture, and the sound produced via its sound system is really .... vooom.

Unfortunately using a VST via its special midi implementation is not a viable choice - unlike the cvp409 which has proper usb connections.

This lead me to more investigations, the 409 being the first cvp to use triple sensors, not much different from the 509, as Yamaha often makes just small marketing upgrades.

Concerning the CLPs, those don`t use the tyros engine (from 2 generations before) but a keyboard 1 generation ahead of the cvp.

I was myself interested to get one for my Hamburg home as it brings the sound to listeners in a wonderful way, unlike my dutch MP-11/speakers solution.

Unfortunately this add is too far from my homes, otherwise I would have tried to get it for below 2k starting at 1.5k €

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...n-neuwertigem-zustand/1613018948-74-7689

Kind regards - to all the fans of overpriced lousy serviced teflon S&S who despise old japanese gear as well

C
C
Originally Posted by Daniel van Veen
There is a wikipedia page comparing the models: here
The details might not be 100% correct (I am pretty sure the CVP-509 does have iAFC for instance).

I would be careful spending 2500 euros on a 12-yr old piano. Those things wear down, especially the keys and their contact strips.

Strangely enough exactly such a piano is offered under your second name near the german/dutch border.

In case you are the seller give me a board mail -- but it might take some days for me to respond, as im still labouring with my last year´s infection.

Thanks

This was the add I refer to:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/yamaha-cvp-409-digitalpiano/1619473608-74-2562

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If it's any help in making a comparison (nobody seems able or willng to do this) I played both the CVP601, and also the 609. The 601 was totally lacklustre pianowise; my DGX sounded and played better all round. The 609 was sublime.
Being that the CVP409 is 2 incarnations below, you'd still have a cracking instrument.
These things can go on for a very long time.
If you can get the guy down a tad, I'd say definitely go for it!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
D
Originally Posted by Chordo24
Strangely enough exactly such a piano is offered under your second name near the german/dutch border.

In case you are the seller give me a board mail -- but it might take some days for me to respond, as im still labouring with my last year´s infection.

Thanks

This was the add I refer to:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/yamaha-cvp-409-digitalpiano/1619473608-74-2562

Lol, no, that's not me (the name in the Ad actually says 'V. Geenen', not 'van Veen').

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,985
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission