2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (beeboss, ando, drumour, AlphaBravoCharlie, fatar760, EssBrace, EB5AGV, DSC, Adem, 8 invisible), 1,327 guests, and 607 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3062980 12/30/20 07:33 PM
P
PamDD Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm ready to jump back into online tutorials. A few years ago, I tried Piano Career Academy and liked it for the most part, but had to drop out. It's too expensive now. I'm not willing to pay more than $30 per month. I am self-taught and at the intermediate level. My interest is classical. Please weigh in on any of the courses you have tried. Thanks!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There are different approaches to learning. Some parents are willing to pay for private lessons or enroll their kids in a music program. A week ago I was at a gathering. 2 high school kids (one plays violin & the other piano). Both are in a music program and playing with a small ensemble. They went through the ABRSM music exams up to a Gr. 6 level. Practicing and taking the kids to their music teachers every week is time-consuming. They played a few Classical pieces for us and ended with 1 Jazz piece.

2 years ago I met a retired man in his 70s. The only thing he wanted was to learn 1 piece his father played many years ago. His father had a degree in music but don't think he had much playing experience. Got an old piano from a friend who moved. Took him 4 months to learn 1 piece with YouTube video demos (imitating finger positions) slightly under tempo. Without getting into basic techniques (legato, staccato, etc.), reading music & foot pedaling he's happy learning just 1 piece.

The cost of getting into any music program (including the ones online) or with a private teacher adds up overtime. There is a basic fee for each lesson. Some parents are willing to pay for the expenses for their kids to get ahead. I'm an adult learner and decided take a slightly different route. The past 5 years I've been with an adult group through the local conservatory who play for interest. We have the choice of taking music exams but none of the people in the group is heading in that direction. We pay a small fee (half as much as private lessons or a F/T music program) for the Fall session (Sep - Dec) and the Winter session (Jan - Apr). We learn a few easy Classical and Jazz arrangements. Since March, classes are held once a week through Zoom while the conservatory is in lockdown indefinitely.

Once you learned to read, you have a whole library that is accessible (online and printed copies). A lot of learning can be done on your own. I download a lot of intermediate pieces outside my weekly lessons. Eventually you may get to a point when getting a teacher is the way to learn more advanced pieces. There are people who learned from easy method books like the Alfred's or Faber series for a few years before getting a teacher. And then there is the self-taught apps like Flowkey, Simply Piano, Piano Marvel, Playground Sessions. I don't have any experience with these so can't make a recommendation.

C
C
For $30 a month you could probably just stick to apps like Piano Marvel. Gives you access to tons of material and a bit of structure when it comes to learning...
The downside is there is no feedback to your playing.... you could hit those keys with a hammer... if it’s in time, you get 100%.
Maybe you could pay a private teacher for feedback / tips only based on video recordings. That would probably help more with playing rather than just getting the notes right. Not sure of the cost for that.
Another option is to look for an online teacher but outside of US/Canada/ Western Europe ... there are lots out there and they speak english. It’s usually more affordable .

Kawai ES110

P
PamDD Offline OP
OP Offline
P
A private teacher, unfortunately, is out of the question for me. I freeze up terribly! LOL!

I really enjoy learning on my own at my own pace. As I mentioned earlier, I liked PCA and gained more from a single session than I did from hours with any of the private teachers I've had.

My interest is in classical music and that really narrows the choices. I was hoping to hear from some Forum members who have actually experienced online classes with someone like Josh Wright or....?

Last edited by PamDD; 01/01/21 06:38 PM.
P
PamDD Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Another good option for me is simply to watch YouTube videos for tutorials on individual pieces. I recently enjoyed one of Ilinca Vartic's tutorials on a Bach Prelude. I'm open to suggestions guys. Thanks!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PamDD
Another good option for me is simply to watch YouTube videos for tutorials on individual pieces. I recently enjoyed one of Ilinca Vartic's tutorials on a Bach Prelude. I'm open to suggestions guys. Thanks!

There are many courses on udemy which are less than $20 periodically.

Try these ...

https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?src=ukw&q=classical+piano

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just came across an ad for Masterful Musician. They made a lot of bold claims. Not sure how good their program is...

Masterful Musician

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,881
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission