2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
94 members (astrotoy, Alex Hutor, anotherscott, Abdol, An Old Square, ambrozy, AprilE, 24000rpm, 23 invisible), 885 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
1. if the dealer is retiring, who will honor your warranty?
2. if you haven't already, ask the dealer why the piano never sold before (that would make me a little nervous, but I'm pretty risk-averse..)

Keep us posted!
Good point
The dealer offered a two year warranty. Given his track record in the business, I'd tend to believe him. As for the "never sold before," I believe the piano is used, so apparently it sold at least once, and I've seen more than a few used pianos sit on a showroom floor for several years myself. I'm sure Napalm will have more info for us soon.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
1. if the dealer is retiring, who will honor your warranty?
2. if you haven't already, ask the dealer why the piano never sold before (that would make me a little nervous, but I'm pretty risk-averse..)

Keep us posted!
Good point
The dealer offered a two year warranty. Given his track record in the business, I'd tend to believe him. As for the "never sold before," I believe the piano is used, so apparently it sold at least once, and I've seen more than a few used pianos sit on a showroom floor for several years myself. I'm sure Napalm will have more info for us soon.

I know this is apples and oranges here, but there is a correlation, sort of... smile

I've seen parcels of property for sale in my area for years, and years (ten years? fifteen Years?) that remains unsold, with the same realtor sign on the property. On occasion, they nail up a "price reduced" sign to the existing for sale sign, yet it still remains unsold. I wonder why? My first guess is it is way overpriced for the market, and the sellers don't really need the money and refuse to reduce the price enough to entice a buyer.

It seems to me the same thing could happen with some pianos at dealers, especially if it is way overpriced to begin with. Carey's point is a valid one about some pianos remaining on a dealers showroom floor for years unsold.

As for the dealer's assertion the piano is new, and was never sold, that may well be true, whether partially true or completely true. It could have been a demo or a rental, or... who knows. Most sellers of big-ticket items rarely tell everything they know about the item. They only tell you what they want you to know. Withholding information is not necessarily a falsehood or being dishonest (depending on who you ask smile ).

Looking forward to the tech inspection report of the Weinbach.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Online Content
No dealer is going to say why the piano hasn't been sold if the reason is something that would scare a potential buyer away. In most cases, the dealer wouldn't know why a particular piano hasn't been sold ...it can often be for no particular reason.

I know of a nice Mason & Hamlin BB in the artcase Monticello design that remained unsold for around three years at a major NYC dealer for no obvious reason.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/28/20 06:00 PM.
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Alright guys, I think my hunt is over. ^_^

So the tuner looked at it thoroughly for an hour or so, he noticed the tuning was off (especially in the high registers), so he spent about 30-35 minutes doing a "rough" tuning. But he didn't see any issues as he was tuning it and he took out the action and showed me what he was basically looking for. He was impressed at the work Phil had put into the hammers and noted that "he must have spent a long time on this". He thought that he had seen Petrofs that would be harder to service than this Weinbach and he thought although there was improvement to be done with a thorough tuning, he said the piano would be playable as is without damaging the instrument. He noted the high quality of the parts and said he thought its a great bargain for the price, he thought the piano could be sold for more and Phil himself noted to me that he was selling at a loss but that he was okay with it. With his blessing, I think I am going to go ahead with this purchase, at 5'8'' the bass is nice and deep, and I love the tone overall. It will probably sound better after another tuning session. As far as action goes, he noted that it was on the heavy side, especially the sharps but he did mention that this would not be uncommon considering how long it's been sitting there. But he mentioned that regulation could alleviate this. Also something about the piano needing to be "broken in", at this point I was pretty confident that the piano has not had another owner, however unlikely that is. No issues with the soundboard either. He said a lot more things but I can't recall all of it.

Technician himself was a pianist playing for 30 years and he really brought out some really awesome tones in the Piano. He let me get up close and watch him work, was neat seeing the app he had to help him tune. I got his referral from another guild member of the technicians chapter in Maryland who is not operating due to COVID.

On a tangent, he seemed to connect with Phil and my tuner offered Phil a visit to his workshop after listening to an old recording Phil played for us, that had been recorded on a Feurich in front of us. Pretty cool. Will probably utilize his services as he usually services the DC area anyway but he drove out today since I did not get any responses back from the Baltimore chapter.

I sent an inquiry to the Petrof website regarding the serial number.

Thanks everyone for the instant responses and guidance during my search for a piano, I can safely say I could not have done it without you all. Following confirmation of the serial, I'm going to go ahead with this. Big shout out to Pianoloversus, Retnacsal, Carey, LadyBird, ShiroKuro, Rickster, Mark and I'm not going to go tab by tab, but thanks everyone, really do appreciate it. smile

Last edited by Napalm; 12/28/20 06:01 PM.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations on your wonderful Weinbach piano ! Wishing you much happiness!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Napalm, congratulations! How exciting!! So, now the most important question: when is the delivery?? grin

btw, Carey,
1. if the dealer is retiring, who will honor your warranty? ...
The dealer offered a two year warranty. Given his track record in the business, I'd tend to believe him.

Carey, I didn't realize the dealer is someone you have personal knowledge of.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I'm hyped. Delivery is going to be this weekend. Phil has someone he wants to take care of the delivery that is out until then. Can't wait ^_^

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations Napalm. Great decision, great deal. I think you made a fortuitous find.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
Originally Posted by Napalm
I'm hyped. Delivery is going to be this weekend. Phil has someone he wants to take care of the delivery that is out until then. Can't wait ^_^

Congratulations! I can feel your excitement! I'm so happy for you! smile

Be sure to post pictures when you can, and a recording would be nice too!

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
How exciting !! This is the way these things should work out. thumb thumb thumb

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the Weinbach in it's new home (which we are all intimately familiar with by now - ha ha).

I sent an inquiry to the Petrof website regarding the serial number.
Give us the serial number. Someone here can probably look it up faster using online resources or the Pierce Piano Atlas.

I wouldn't worry too much about any regulation that is needed. When I bought my M&H BB "new" 14 years ago, it had been moved so many times and had been sitting so long in various locations that it was unplayable. A thorough regulation took care of everything. smile

Seems like you've found yourself an excellent tech.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Bösendorfer management in Vienna has told me not to ever put a damp chaser in my piano. A humidifier in winter and dehumidifier in summer work fine for me and no holes have to be drilled into my instrument.

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 12/28/20 07:47 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Serial is #273077.

Gotcha, good to know. Thanks, he seems like he knows his stuff.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Having a good tech is so important!!! I love my piano tech! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Serial is #273077.

I found reference on the internet to a 1998 Weinbach with a serial number of 269461, so I'm guessing 273077 would be in the ballpark of 2004.

Anyone here with Pierce Atlas who can look this up?

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Full confession, I don't. I researched him and found a handful of old PW threads where people spoke highly of their dealings with him over the past several years. I should have qualified my comment (was in a hurry), and for that I apologize.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Full confession, I don't. I researched him and found a handful of old PW threads where people spoke highly of their dealings with him over the past several years. I should have qualified my comment (was in a hurry), and for that I apologize.

Word-of-mouth references/ratings usually go a long way, either good or bad. Typically, when someone has a bad experience with a product/service or business, they are more vocal and tell more people about their bad experience. Those who have good experiences usually don't spread the word as much, but spread the good word nonetheless.

On the other had, you can't always believe what you read or hear. My newest neighbor worked for a sizable new auto dealer for almost 20 years before he retired, and spoke highly of them. My sister bought a new vehicle from them last year, and they are jerking her around about a warranty issue. And, yes, I mentioned it to my neighbor, but that didn't help my sister any.

I guess sometimes you can believe good reviews and sometimes not. But ones reputation always precedes them. smile

Rick

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Serial is #273077.

I found reference on the internet to a 1998 Weinbach with a serial number of 269461, so I'm guessing 273077 would be in the ballpark of 2004.

Here's what I found from the two places I usually look:

https://pianoagecalculator.com/
Manufactured: 2001 - 2002

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com
No info because it stops at 1982

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Serial is #273077.

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com
No info because it stops at 1982
It was probably in a warehouse for a few years in the US or in the Czech Republic.

Serial is #273077.

That's a great resource which I've not seen until now. Tried it on my own piano and it was accurate. I have an "owner's certificate" listing the serial number and signed October 2003 by the builders. The piano calculator says my piano was manufactured in 2003-04. So the Weinbach the OP is considering is a tad older than 2004 - which affirms that it was definitely built in the Czech Republic.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey thanks for looking into it Shiro. Like you said Carey, it would just affirm that it was built in Czech Republic, a few years difference is no biggie right?

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MP11se / CA79 / CA99 - Ex-classic pianist
by srodrigo - 12/07/21 02:56 PM
Got an NU1X. First impressions.
by total_beginner - 12/07/21 01:50 PM
What piano was used on Spirited Away soundtrack?
by An Old Square - 12/07/21 12:32 PM
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,428
Posts3,151,216
Members103,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission