2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (clothearednincompo, BlakeOR, Bruce In Philly, CaseyVancouver, brdwyguy, c++, 13 invisible), 687 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I know there are no rules is the ideal approach to average a piece every 8-10 days? Or do you do pieces that take 1 day and some that take 2 weeks..

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
A
Hi Sebs!
I think this is very hard to answer. Everyone approaches the challenge differently. As for myself, I am not really keeping an eye on the time the pieces take in order to get to 40. So if it takes me 2 days or 2 weeks or longer, it is ok. I put a lot of value in rotating pieces constantly, specially as a beginner, to practice different skills in different contexts. So maybe if according to you, every piece is taking too long (this is again very subjective), I would try to balance them out and throw some easier ones in there as well.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Sebs
There's no one approach, and it's about finding what works for you. Like you, my "main" pieces tend to take me months and whether or not I'm working with a teacher this is likely to be the case. But alongside them I will work other pieces of varying levels of difficulty. I may not give the easier pieces a huge amount of time, and typically only get them to a rough level. If I'm not enjoying a piece I'll drop it and move on. The main thing I want to get out of it is variety.

For example, for me it might be something like:
5 main pieces (3 on the go at any one time, spending an avg of 6 months working on the piece)
10 mid-range pieces (1 or 2 on the go at a time, each one taking 6 weeks say)
10 easy pieces (each one taking c. 3 weeks)
15 very easy pieces (1 week to 10 days)

In a given week I might work on 6-8 pieces, and on a given day on 3 or 4, with the lion's share of the time on my main pieces.

Now in practice when I have tried to do this while working with a teacher, I end up focusing on the teacher assigned work (the main pieces) and everything else I'd like to do falls by the wayside - not just other pieces for this but also holding onto repertoire, sightreading, playing through other music for fun, etc etc. That's a big part of why I have sat this out the last couple of years. But I don't have a teacher at the moment, and want to have variety, so it feels like a good thing to try again now.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sisi
The journey has officially started! My list:

1. Minuet in C K6, Mozart

It's a lovely beginning! Can I give you a little advice? Watch your own video couple of times and tell your right hand to learn from your left hand. You have very natural flexible left wrist, but your right one is little bit stiff (not completely frozen, but too stiff). It's a very common problem, I think (at least I've seen it many times) and if you pay little bit of attention - you can correct it before it becomes limiting habit.

Good luck with your study and thank you for sharing!

S
S
Thank you scorpio!

I started playing piano in November 2020 and couldn't stop ever since.
S
S
Originally Posted by initK

It's a lovely beginning! Can I give you a little advice? Watch your own video couple of times and tell your right hand to learn from your left hand. You have very natural flexible left wrist, but your right one is little bit stiff (not completely frozen, but too stiff). It's a very common problem, I think (at least I've seen it many times) and if you pay little bit of attention - you can correct it before it becomes limiting habit.

Good luck with your study and thank you for sharing!

Thanks so much for pointing that out! I'll definitely pay more attention to my right wrist.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by barbaram
Hi Sebs
There's no one approach, and it's about finding what works for you. Like you, my "main" pieces tend to take me months and whether or not I'm working with a teacher this is likely to be the case. But alongside them I will work other pieces of varying levels of difficulty. I may not give the easier pieces a huge amount of time, and typically only get them to a rough level. If I'm not enjoying a piece I'll drop it and move on. The main thing I want to get out of it is variety.

For example, for me it might be something like:
5 main pieces (3 on the go at any one time, spending an avg of 6 months working on the piece)
10 mid-range pieces (1 or 2 on the go at a time, each one taking 6 weeks say)
10 easy pieces (each one taking c. 3 weeks)
15 very easy pieces (1 week to 10 days)

In a given week I might work on 6-8 pieces, and on a given day on 3 or 4, with the lion's share of the time on my main pieces.

Now in practice when I have tried to do this while working with a teacher, I end up focusing on the teacher assigned work (the main pieces) and everything else I'd like to do falls by the wayside - not just other pieces for this but also holding onto repertoire, sightreading, playing through other music for fun, etc etc. That's a big part of why I have sat this out the last couple of years. But I don't have a teacher at the moment, and want to have variety, so it feels like a good thing to try again now.

That's a lot of pieces to work on even without currently having teacher assigned work. For me teacher assigned work is main focus and doing this challenge to make sure I pick pieces I can play and enjoy and not just give up on.

Originally Posted by AndresVel
Hi Sebs!
I think this is very hard to answer. Everyone approaches the challenge differently. As for myself, I am not really keeping an eye on the time the pieces take in order to get to 40. So if it takes me 2 days or 2 weeks or longer, it is ok. I put a lot of value in rotating pieces constantly, specially as a beginner, to practice different skills in different contexts. So maybe if according to you, every piece is taking too long (this is again very subjective), I would try to balance them out and throw some easier ones in there as well.

Thanks! This is helpful and even if a pieces is taking little longer than expected doesn't mean I have to scrap it and move on but just adjust as needed. I'm really excited to get some variety!

Last edited by Sebs; 01/06/21 11:37 PM.
S
S

2. A Neat Beat, Martha Mier

Feedback is welcome laugh

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sebs
That's a lot of pieces to work on even without currently having teacher assigned work. For me teacher assigned work is main focus and doing this challenge to make sure I pick pieces I can play and enjoy and not just give up on.

In my hypothetical above, I was assuming all the main pieces would be my teacher assigned work, and that would indeed take most of my time and attention (in case I didn't make that clear).

[Linked Image]
A
A

That was indeed a neat beat! good job sisi smile

Playing like this after two months and you need feedback??
Please, I need your classes!

My congrats

Jaime CLP-645 frown
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
S
smile Thank you for the kind words!

Jaime CLP-645 frown
A
A
very good job Sol Finker! nice selection of sounds from your digital to match the pieces smile very enjoyable

Here I begin my list for this year! Finally got some time to sit and record these pieces. Hopefully this challenge will help me to relax and play better when recording. Very often I start to miss a lot once I press the record button. Anyways, here my entries for today smile

1. Jewgeni Tetzel - Prelude
2. Balys Dvarionas - Prelude
3. Alexander Goedicke - Tanz

very good job Sol Finker! nice selection of sounds from your digital to match the pieces smile very enjoyable
Thanks a lot. A bit clumsy I think but 2021 is just starting.

Here I begin my list for this year! Finally got some time to sit and record these pieces. Hopefully this challenge will help me to relax and play better when recording. Very often I start to miss a lot once I press the record button.
The rec button freezes my fingers, too.

Great sound!
The first Prelude invites to sing. The second is very nice and very well played. I love the Tanz too. My congrats.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

I really enjoyed the Sufboard Boogie great sound and played so well!

Here I begin my list for this year! Finally got some time to sit and record these pieces. Hopefully this challenge will help me to relax and play better when recording. Very often I start to miss a lot once I press the record button. Anyways, here my entries for today smile

Great work. I like that that I get to find new music in this challenge that I would never have heard. I definitely enjoyed this one a lot 'Jewgeni Tetzel - Prelude' and you played it great!

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Please count me in. I tried this a few years ago and didn't make much progress. I have a better plan now that aligns with the approach I'm taking to get back into playing more regularly. Plus I got a lot of new music so I need to get to learning and recordings all the pieces!

A
A
Originally Posted by Sol Finker
The rec button freezes my fingers, too.
Isn't it frustrating?! Hopefully recording ourselves more often will help us with that smile

Originally Posted by Sol Finker
Great sound!
The first Prelude invites to sing. The second is very nice and very well played. I love the Tanz too. My congrats.
Thank you Jaime, I really enjoyed learning and polishing the second prelude. The other two pieces were pretty fun to learn as well.

Originally Posted by Sebs
Great work. I like that that I get to find new music in this challenge that I would never have heard. I definitely enjoyed this one a lot 'Jewgeni Tetzel - Prelude' and you played it great!

Thanks you Sebs smile I am glad you enjoyed the pieces. I also enjoy a lot discovering composers and pieces that are not so popular and that I have never heard of. This challenge seems a perfect place to do so. Looking forward to hear/see what you are learning soon smile

S
S

Nice playing! I'm working on these too :p

S
S

I've never heard of these composers :0. I really like the 2nd prelude.

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about upright piano placement
by Nicolas J. - 06/23/21 01:38 PM
The most entertaining encore I've ever seen
by pianoloverus - 06/23/21 01:38 PM
Lower Pianoteq power consumption
by meghdad - 06/23/21 11:18 AM
Opinion on Sherlock and Manning 13657
by JKyser - 06/23/21 09:39 AM
What a great book!
by Ubu - 06/23/21 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,669
Posts3,106,614
Members101,889
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission