2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (anotherscott, Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., Andy R, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, 21 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Napalm
I have contacted a tuner to help me a bit with some of these decisions and am going to get the Weinbach for 6k appraised, if everything pans out, I think I will jump on that. I could spend $15,900 for GC1M but somehow I feel the lower priced instrument just makes a lot of sense, despite me liking almost everything about the GC1M a lot more than the Weinbach :P Still not 100% sure though, because the tuner did tell me to look at craigslist and I have found two C3's in my area (1970's I think) for around 10k or so. (No idea why it's so low, probably a reason). I might try these two out and get appraised as the step after that. Also who knows how I feel in a week after trying some of these out, I could really see myself going for the GC1M despite the price tag, just trying to avoid it right now.

By all means, get what you like best, and can afford, and fits your current situation, whether new or used.

It has been my experience that there is always a better, nicer, piano to be had, if we can afford it and are willing to pay the price. It can be fun climbing that piano ladder of trading up to better and better instruments, as we learn more about ourselves, and our own piano ambitions. And, I think that philosophy (there's always a better piano to be had) applies across the board, no matter how nice a piano we may have.

That said, a used piano may not sound or play quite as good as a new one, but depending on the piano, with a good tech tuning and servicing, the difference between new and used may well be negligible. But I'm speaking from my own personal experience.

The 1970s era Yamaha C3s for $10k sounds about right to me, depending on condition. And, a Yamaha acoustic piano, (and other select brands) can last a long time, and still sound and play very nice, although in slightly worn condition; although age and time itself can take a toll on some things, minus wear and tear.

Also, I think a lot has to do with how many different pianos you have played. I've played some much newer and much more expensive pianos that did not sound and play as well as my own older piano(s), to me at least.

Also, (and I'll stop with the piano philosophy for now smile ), it depends on your piano goals, ambitions and priorities. You can buy the piano of your dreams now, and pay the price, or you can buy the piano that will suffice for now, meet your current needs, and allow you to keep dreaming. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by violarules
According to Piano Buyer, the GC1M does have a true sostenuto pedal. The GB1K does not.
Originally Posted by Carey
Per the PianoBuyer "The GC1M and GC2 have regular case construction, duplex scale, soft-close fallboard, and sostenuto pedal."

Sorry guys, I got that one wrong.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
Napalm -

There are SO MANY really good looking, reasonably priced pianos for sale in your area. I just spent some time on Craigslist and was impressed by what I found there.

From a good quality but inexpensive upright perspective, there is this one....a 1994 Schimmel 46" c116. Looks pristine.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org...immel-c116-upright-piano/7250051998.html

Hope you can find a new K-500 to try out. Good to learn that you are working with a tech - and yes, he is correct regarding the possible issues with the 1972 Knabe I mentioned. Will be interested to learn what he thinks about the Weinbach.

Have fun !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I appreciate the words Rick, am I sensing that you are nudging me towards the latter of the two as far as piano of dreams and piano of sufficiency? smile Thanks for the insight into the pricing, guess it does make sense and the tuner would have told me if something was up. I checked out some of your videos and subbed, love boogie woogie. Big fan of Henri Herbert, I'm sure you're familiar smile

Carey, I have checked out that website before, interesting seeing a Schimmel dealer. There are two websites I have still yet to peruse deeply which is Rick Jones grand inventory and there's one other used seller close with good reviews too think its Pianomart or something like that. Man it's going to suck having to go back to work next week, luckily I still have 3 days to keep looking. Interestingly enough tuner thought the Weinbach was Chinese made as opposed to Czech so I'm wondering if that will sway him but his initial thought is maybe I should keep looking. I will of course follow the lead you provided and maybe scope out some grands there too smile

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Carey
From a good quality but inexpensive upright perspective, there is this one....a 1994 Schimmel 46" c116. Looks pristine.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org...immel-c116-upright-piano/7250051998.html

If you're open to an upright, I second checking out this piano! When I was looking for my first piano, the only one I liked better than the Petrof I bought was a Schimmel, but it cost twice as much. I loved my Petrof and would prefer a nice upright to a lesser quality grand any day. Play lots and lots of pianos and hopefully you'll know when the right one comes along smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey guys,

Got an update. I contacted Phil a while back to see if I could get him to budge a bit on the price. He included delivery and with taxes 6500 or so. I really liked the weinbach so I'm going to get it inspected, if all pans out I think I'm gonna go for it.

If for whatever reason the piano doesn't check out ill check out other pianos. shocked

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sounds very exciting! Can you remind me of what the model and size of the Weinbach was?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hey guys,

Got an update. I contacted Phil a while back to see if I could get him to budge a bit on the price. He included delivery and with taxes 6500 or so. I really liked the weinbach so I'm going to get it inspected, if all pans out I think I'm gonna go for it.

If for whatever reason the piano doesn't check out ill check out other pianos. shocked

Good to know, Napalm!

I think the reason many of us here on PW like threads like yours is that we tend to get excited about buying a piano, new or used, right along with you! It brings back memories for us, as we followed the same, or similar path, both good and bad. smile

By all means, keep us updated!

Good luck!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Its a 5 ft 8 inches model 170.

Thanks Rick, will comply smile

Last edited by Napalm; 12/28/20 12:59 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Napalm, right, now I remember! Great, I hope the tech finds it to be without problems!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wow - so Phil came down on the 2004 Weinbach from $10K to $6,500 including delivery and taxes. THAT sounds like an excellent deal. Fingers crossed. Have you verified the serial number? smile

Both of the following PW threads from 2006 verify that a 2004 Weinbach would have been built entirely in the Czech Republic. Be sure to let your tech know that.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/297782/1.html

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/56304.html

Last edited by Carey; 12/28/20 01:43 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
I’ve been out of touch during the holidays, skimming a thread here and there.

I was confused after skimming this one, and wondered if there were 2 Weinbachs in play. Or if the original one was now heavily discounted. I thought the notion of a 14 year old piano being “new” was dubious, especially after hearing that he was telling stories about it’s owner having it tuned regularly. How could it be in the sales floor for 14 years if it had an owner? Or still be new? Did I miss something in the thread?

Anyway, it sounds like the seller is willing to be a “great guy” for a whole lot less than he was originally. thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Its the original one discounted. And yeah it's a bit strange for it to be sitting there that long but my tuner said that it could happen. Hopefully post inspection we are good? Not sure if a tuner would be able to tell info like that but yeah.

Will verify serial Carey in a bit... kind of forgot to do that. Thanks for the reminder.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
Sure, old new stock is a thing, but 14 years seems extreme, and one doesn't usually hear accompanying tales of how well it's previous owner took care of it, because new pianos don't have previous owners.

Think about this just using common sense: if the seller is willing to so drastically reduce the price, then why hasn't he done so at some point in the preceding 14 years? When it was only 7 years old? 5 years old? 3 years old? And if you think that he was, then ask yourself why nobody bought it? Or you might say, he was, but why not still try to get the max from any potential buyer? Well, then it's just another piano passing through his shop. No different. Nothing special. Because that's how they're all sold. And you'd still have to wonder why this one didn't sell. Why would he have his cost (e.g. $3k, just to use a round number), and floor space tied up in this thing for 14 years? And how does a previous owner fit into that?

I was assuming/hoping that you'd come back and say that he said it was "like" new, which might be a reasonable claim, but it seems like people have doubled down on the notion that it's "new." If that's the case, it's extremely hard to believe that he's being honest with you about the piano's history.

Frankly, none of the above matters. What matters is it's condition. A competent technician ought to be able to tell you if it truly is in like new condition. If you haven't already, I'd ask around for a technician referral to do the inspection. The Maryland (DC to Baltimore) area is well-known. A tuner telling you that 14 year-old new stock "could happen" doesn't seem to have your best interests at heart. Look for someone with a reputation to maintain (just my 2¢).

How to Upload Pictures

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I hope it passes your tech inspection! Sounds like a nice piano for a very nice price smile

Also, all pianos get dusty over time. If you decide to vacuum, be very careful as you can damage the parts if you're not careful. My vacuum cleaner has 6 settings and I use the minimum setting with a brush attachment and am very gentle. Mine also showed up with dust inside and I definitely wanted to clean it all up!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
So a couple of things, Phil is retiring soon so that may be an indication as to why he's not trying to extract maximum value. I also presented him with the weinbach listing on steinway gallery as leverage and he responded with an even better offer considering delivery and taxes.

As to why it wasn't sold that I'm not sure of, but actually I'm having it inspected as we speak and so far so good, he's doing some tuning work but he thinks its good so I'm confident now too.

To be clear on the new thing he did tell me that the piano looks like it has been sitting for a long time and he explicitly stated that the reason I'm paying less than full price is because of that fact, but he doesn't see any thing ad far as cracks in soundboard or rusty strings, anything that would depreciate the performance. So I may have misspoke if I said it was straight up new instead of like new. Definitely the latter. Appreciate the response.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
Ok, "like new" is a very different thing.

I hope the inspection goes well!

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1. if the dealer is retiring, who will honor your warranty?
2. if you haven't already, ask the dealer why the piano never sold before (that would make me a little nervous, but I'm pretty risk-averse..)

Keep us posted!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So a couple of things, Phil is retiring soon so that may be an indication as to why he's not trying to extract maximum value. I also presented him with the weinbach listing on steinway gallery as leverage and he responded with an even better offer considering delivery and taxes.
I was hoping that you'd use the Weinbach at the Steinway dealer as leverage for getting a reduced price from Phil. grin

As for why the Weinbach sat on the showroom floor so long, perhaps Phil was asking too much for it -- considering that Weinbach isn't exactly a household name. Nevertheless, it may work to your advantage.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
1. if the dealer is retiring, who will honor your warranty?
2. if you haven't already, ask the dealer why the piano never sold before (that would make me a little nervous, but I'm pretty risk-averse..)

Keep us posted!
Good point

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission