2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (Ben_NZ, Boboulus, Dfrankjazz, cygnusdei, drumour, Alfred La Fleur, EssBrace, Dave Horne, beeboss, 12 invisible), 772 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
We found the following problems in the models KAWAI MP 11 and MP 11 SE:
- failure of the sensors on the keys (requires repair of them as seen on youtube);
- deformation of the wooden keys from the first year until they cling and touch and then block and it gets unable to play the piano (you have to adjust the keys to work);
- damage of the synthetic ivory on the white keys, with the formation of holes in the keyboard.
- in MP 10/11 and other KAWAI models there are different software errors related to the lack of sound at the delicate touch of the keys and other errors generated by the pedal (including VPC 1 model).
- Other problems arising from lack of response to service requests.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Calling Kawai James . . .

C
C
Originally Posted by Neil Gold
- failure of the sensors on the keys (requires repair of them as seen on youtube);
- deformation of the wooden keys from the first year until they cling and touch and then block and it gets unable to play the piano (you have to adjust the keys to work);
- damage of the synthetic ivory on the white keys, with the formation of holes in the keyboard.
- in MP 10/11 and other KAWAI models there are different software errors related to the lack of sound at the delicate touch of the keys and other errors generated by the pedal (including VPC 1 model).

Hi, do you mind posting some pictures showing those issues? I'm referring to the deformed keys and the holes in the keyboard. This is the second time you post about those things, now I'm really curious.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by crazyRyoga

Hi, do you mind posting some pictures showing those issues? I'm referring to the deformed keys and the holes in the keyboard. This is the second time you post about those things, now I'm really curious.

I do not believe there is any sincerity to this and his other posts.

It is just some sort of commercially motivated Kawai bashing.

Not worthy of a legitimate response.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
I do not believe there is any sincerity to this and his other posts.

It is just some sort of commercially motivated Kawai bashing.
Or state motivated. Odd posts in content and language from a new "member".

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
If anything I think we drink too much of kawai's koolaid. Myself included.

Nice to hear objective reports on long term material performance.

In this case, I could see all of those listed problems happen to ALL other keyboards. They can't possibly be exclusive to kawai.

The soft-parts are particularly difficult to engineer, and of course are more susceptible to wear. As long as kawai is mailing out replacements at a reasonable cost, it seems like a non-issue.

As for servicing, pianism as a whole is dying, this will only get worse over time. In the end, what will most likely happen is they won't offer in home servicing, and just have a default in house set of youtube repair videos and mail people parts.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/27/20 03:03 PM.
There are some youtube videos. Perhaps he mean this.

RD 2000 , VSL BI,Garritan,Noire,Modern U , Grandeur , Bechstein Digital, Addictive Keys, Pianoteq , Ravenscroft, Ivory 2 ACD , Production Voices Grand 2

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I want to know just who the "We..." are referred to in the original post. Such claims need validation to be taken seriously.

But I checked Youtube for relevant videos and found this video for the MP 11.
(Many thanks to the original uploader for including English language captions.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpa43cNlJ0

This video includes the MP11SE and a large range of other Kawai pianos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3lqUEc3Do

This is a video for the ES8, neither of the pianos listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3kheE32fe8

This again is neither of the models listed, although as a Roland owner I disagree with his opening comment that ALL digital pianos suffer problems after a few years...! I KNOW this to be incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y88UvbWJ46c

So it seems there is cause for his post to be taken as factual, at least to some degree.

I would like to see evidence of these "issues" being addressed by Kawai.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 12/27/20 03:12 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
So it seems there is cause for his post to be taken as factual, at least to some degree.

Yeh .... I tripped over a garden hose in my garage and fell.

Does that mean if I post a video of it .... "millions of seniors are tripping over hoses" .... is to be taken as factual, at least to some degree ?

Don

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jeffcat
In this case, I could see all of those listed problems happen to ALL other keyboards. They can't possibly be exclusive to kawai.

Well they don't happen to ALL other keyboards in my 30 years of digital experience. I believe this is an issue brought about fairly recently (for certain manufacturers) by the consumers desire to pretend he/she is buying an acoustic piano when they aren't, and to be fair, THAT is the aspect that applies to all digital manufacturers. Kawai are making wooden keys to emulate a "real" piano. Do we actually need that?

I have a plastic keyed Roland RD300s that I have owned since 1990 and it still works perfectly and I feel NO IMPROVEMENT to it over the "fake" keys on the RD700NX that I bought in 2011. "Fake" keys that I did not particularly want, either.

Are wooden keys just a vanity we think we need but don't? I suspect they are and it would be more helpful if manufacturers guided us gently away from such stupidity. We would have cheaper more reliable pianos..... Does nobody want that????

Originally Posted by jeffcat
The soft-parts are particularly difficult to engineer, and of course are more susceptible to wear. As long as kawai is mailing out replacements at a reasonable cost, it seems like a non-issue.

Reliability will always be a substantial issue for the consumer.

This "reality" is rather like keyboard noise, digitals "clack" like real acoustic but a lot of people don't want that! They want a "silent" piano, which is absolutely bizarre but may be more in keeping with the needs of modern living.
BTW, the "soft parts " were engineered in acoustic pianos for a couple of centuries with (almost) no problems.

(Sorry, I should really say "issues" in this day and age, not "problems"!)

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dmd

Yeh .... I tripped over a garden hose in my garage and fell.

Does that mean if I post a video of it .... "millions of seniors are tripping over hoses" .... is to be taken as factual, at least to some degree ?

Er..... you have a reason for your gardening comment on a piano web-site?

BTW, I expect you to post at least FOUR videos of your accident!

Last edited by slipperykeys; 12/27/20 03:55 PM.
D
D
I tend to read negative reviews before positive reviews because I do want to know about known issues that people have experienced with a particular product so I am interested in this subject but so far, the OP has only come across as some kind of motivated basher and not someone who has actually experienced any of these problems. I don't have any reason to think he's own the MP11SE that he's bashing and as someone else has mentioned, who is "we"?

In my case, and only my case, "we" have not experienced any of the huge problems mentioned after pounding on "our" MP11SE (that "we" actually own) for a year so until the OP can do better than he has, this has become a waste of my time.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by djvu10
I tend to read negative reviews before positive reviews because I do want to know about known issues that people have experienced with a particular product so I am interested in this subject but so far, the OP has only come across as some kind of motivated basher and not someone who has actually experienced any of these problems. I don't have any reason to think he's own the MP11SE that he's bashing and as someone else has mentioned, who is "we"?

In my case, and only my case, "we" have not experienced any of the huge problems mentioned after pounding on "our" MP11SE (that "we" actually own) for a year so until the OP can do better than he has, this has become a waste of my time.

I don't think his claims are unique to kawai, but he's provided as much evidence as you have. so. I mean, WHY would he lie.

Who comes on the piano forum with the express purpose of kawai-bashing ? WHY do that ? it doesn't make sense.

We can't even argue it's financially motivated, because kawai is as overpriced as the next brand, they all make the dealers the same amount of money.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
BTW, the "soft parts " were engineered in acoustic pianos for a couple of centuries with (almost) no problems.

(Sorry, I should really say "issues" in this day and age, not "problems"!)

In a real acoustic actions, the soft parts are tweaked and replaced all the time. Again, softparts wearing out is very common for anything involving soft parts.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/27/20 04:58 PM.
D
D
I guess I'd pay more attention to his claims if he'd at least say which Kawai he has actually owned and had issues with (or who "we" is). This is the third thread he's appeared in, bashing away without showing any signs that he's owned or ever played some of these models. If I read a negative review online about a certain product, I may not buy that product but I wouldn't rant and rant about it without having experienced these issues myself.

Like you said, why would someone come on a forum and do that, it doesn't make sense!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Sounds like this post is nonsense. The MP11 and MP11SE have been around for many years and everything that has come up has already been discussed.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Sounds like this post is nonsense.

And .... as Judge Judy always says ..... "If it does not make sense ..... it is not true."

Don

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The post lacks context, but it's not non-sense, those things do happen to digital pianos on all brands..

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/27/20 06:54 PM.
D
D
That's just the point - why single out these particular models and bash them to death if these were general issues on all brands or if one has not personally experienced them at all???

D
D
I think Neil Gold should be banned, 3 posts : 3 Kawai bashings, no proofs of his insinuations...

I owned an MP11 for 6 years : no problems at all !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,985
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission