2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
He had some Feurich's and Bohemias but he only showed me the one. I asked to see a Feurich out of curiosity but he said he was still tuning it. I believe he thought the Weinbach was the only one in my range really. He was a pleasure to talk to though. Also he's open on an appointment only basis.

Last edited by Napalm; 12/25/20 01:08 AM.
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
https://www.pianogalleryoutlet.com/product/bosendorfer-model-225-74-ebony-satin-grand/

I checked this out on the Steinway dealers website, I wonder why this hasn't sold yet. O.O

V
V
Originally Posted by Napalm
https://www.pianogalleryoutlet.com/product/bosendorfer-model-225-74-ebony-satin-grand/

I checked this out on the Steinway dealers website, I wonder why this hasn't sold yet. O.O

Probably because it sounds like it needs a full rebuild.

N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Tried out the weinbach BTW, sounded really nice. The only thing I noticed was that it wasn't kept in the most pristine of condition there's like dust on the dampers and what not but I guess that's standard for a used piano? Going to kawaii dealer after I try out some entry level Bostons though hopefully can try k500 and maybe gl20/30.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

The last thing you need right now is an 1890s vintage piano that needs rebuilding. It is beautiful and could be magnificent but...

The GL-10 you originally bought might be your best choice. Better than that Weinbach but I don't know about cost differential.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Assuming the Kawaii dealer is willing to go down to 11k,(did not try haggling last time) just guessing, the weinbach is only 6k.

I think I have a good idea about the action of the weinbach it definitely feels more sluggish than the Boston entry level that they had at the dealer. Is playing scales slow and light a good way to determine the action? That's where I'm like okay it definitely took me less force to produce sound on the Boston.

Last edited by Napalm; 12/26/20 02:04 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Tried out the weinbach BTW, sounded really nice. The only thing I noticed was that it wasn't kept in the most pristine of condition there's like dust on the dampers and what not but I guess that's standard for a used piano? Going to kawaii dealer after I try out some entry level Bostons though hopefully can try k500 and maybe gl20/30.
Entry level Bostons? Do you mean the GP156 and GP163? If new, aren't these a tad out of your budget range? As for the dust issue - that's not unusual for any used piano particularly when the lid has always been raised. Surprised the dealer didn't attempt to clean it up a little - but at least you were able to compare the 2005 Weinbach to the 2004 Weinbach for $10K. They also had a nice looking and sounding 1972 Knabe at that dealer, but it was probably too large for your space.

The search continues - have fun !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Yeah it would be really pushing it new, I think the dealer offered me 22k. Just used that piano as a way to compare the action not truly considering it. Thanks smile

Online Content

Yeah it would be really pushing it new, I think the dealer offered me 22k. Just used that piano as a way to compare the action not truly considering it. Thanks smile
Makes sense...and the more pianos you "audition" the better. Just curious, was that $22K for a 156 or a 163?

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Assuming the Kawaii dealer is willing to go down to 11k,(did not try haggling last time) just guessing, the weinbach is only 6k.

I think I have a good idea about the action of the weinbach it definitely feels more sluggish than the Boston entry level that they had at the dealer. Is playing scales slow and light a good way to determine the action? That's where I'm like okay it definitely took me less force to produce sound on the Boston.

It sounds like you have more info and insight regarding buying an acoustic piano now than you did earlier. That is a good thing!

And, it sounds like you are more inclined to purchase new, which is also a good thing, if you can afford it. smile

As for the sluggish action of the used Weinbach, keep in mind that a really good piano technician can make a big difference/improvement in how a piano action may feel, after they do their thing. However, there are still risk in buying a piano with the anticipation of having it worked on, post-sale, as opposed to buying something you like to begin with, without needing any work. All acoustic pianos will need service and prep, whether new or used, and this process is ongoing.

There is a certain amount of risk when buying used. Less money, and perhaps a lot less, but work may be needed. This is where a qualified piano tech inspection comes into play.

But it is not entirely out of the question that a brand new piano will need additional prep. That said, if you don't want to risk making improvements post-sale, buying new may be your best option. It (buying new) would definitely be less risk, but not zero risk.

Good luck, and Happy New Year! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
156 I believe. I looked at SMP it was the same value. Just went to Yamaha after trying Kawaii and I honestly am leaning towards Yamahas GC1. It is the upper end of my budget but this is one I like most. It feels so powerful and I'm loving the tone and touch too. I'm also considering whether to get GC2 for that extra 2.4k.
Also Yamahas look gorgeous to me.

Another factor, there's no haggling involved with the Yamaha dealer im getting like 30 off SMP as asking price. I am going to try out a few more pianos and there is one more dealer where I have not tried and then I'm thinking I purchase before prices hike up next year.... laugh

That being said I did try to talk with Kawai to get prices on GL10 and GL20 but they seemed to doubt whether I could even get 25 off smp. If I do get a final price for that GB20 then I will have to think about it.

I could just nab the weinbach at a real good price, but I do like the Yamaha more and yeah new does appeal to me. PianoCraft has the 5`5 Baldwin bp160 to try now also so will check that out.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I have a Yamaha C2, which is I believe the same size as the GC2 (5'8") -- I'm biased of course but this is a very nice size. Did you play a GC2 or no?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
One tends to get better prices, discounts on new Kawai
pianos than new Yamaha pianos. ShiroKuro's idea about finding a used , good quality C2 Yamaha piano is an excellent idea.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 12/26/20 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I did. I tried out octaves in the low registers and they rung out longer, as expected. Great tone too but it is a decent bit more pricey. Action and tone for the most part seemed pretty similar, bit louder maybe a bit more "twinkly" in the upper register.

I tried out the GB1K again as well, still solid, also its brown so that's kind of nice. A lesser GC1. LadyBird, I did actually say that straight up to the Kawaii dealer but they were hesitating to give me even 25 off SMP so let's see what they come back with.

Last edited by Napalm; 12/26/20 08:57 PM.
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Also if I really wanted to implode my budget, same Baldwin dealer told me there's a used Estonia L190 for 22k. Going to give it a whirl but really unlikely I can justify that lol. That and it might be a bit too big for the room so it might be irrelevant.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I think the GC1 is a great choice. It's a trimmed down version of a C1X, more like the older GH1. It should have the same action as the C1X but not the same hammers. You give up the true sostenuto for a bass sustain but that's really not something you'll be using.

I've had a G1 for 31 years and even though it's only 5'3" I never felt any need to upgrade. It still sounds and plays like new.

I would probably not recommend a GB1 for you I think they are only 5' and you will likely grow tired of it quickly. Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, they have a fixed music desk which doesn't slide. That is very frustrating for people like me, with bad eyesight.

Last edited by WBLynch; 12/27/20 02:52 PM.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
V
V
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I think the GC1 is a great choice. It's a trimmed down version of a C1X, more like the older GH1. It should have the same action as the C1X but not the same hammers. You give up the true sostenuto for a bass sustain but that's really not something you'll be using.

According to Piano Buyer, the GC1M does have a true sostenuto pedal. The GB1K does not.

Online Content

Per the PianoBuyer "The GC1M and GC2 have regular case construction, duplex scale, soft-close fallboard, and sostenuto pedal."

Perhaps the real challenge with the GC1 is getting enough of a discount from the SMP that the OP can afford it. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Not sure how close this is to you, but I used to drive out to Rick Jones Pianos when I was in DC on business. He had many dozens of used pianos and didn't mind me sitting there playing on them.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
N
Napalm Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey,

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Carey
Perhaps the real challenge with the GC1 is getting enough of a discount from the SMP that the OP can afford it. smile

Carey, GC1 discount would be $15,900 (technically affordable). GC2 is $18,400. As I have been trying out more pianos and thinking more about this, I probably should eliminate GC2 from my list just because there's no way it makes sense for me to spend this much on my first real piano, given my experience. Considering most people probably buy something comparable to a U1 at my level, I have changed my opinion I guess since a couple of days ago haha. However, I think the reason we are this far is that I really do love the sound of the grands I have tried so far and I have not felt the same way about the uprights I have tried, this perhaps is a moot point if I'm trying to balance where I am experience wise with the instrument I am buying but hey, I'll figure it out...

I have contacted a tuner to help me a bit with some of these decisions and am going to get the Weinbach for 6k appraised, if everything pans out, I think I will jump on that. I could spend $15,900 for GC1M but somehow I feel the lower priced instrument just makes a lot of sense, despite me liking almost everything about the GC1M a lot more than the Weinbach :P Still not 100% sure though, because the tuner did tell me to look at craigslist and I have found two C3's in my area (1970's I think) for around 10k or so. (No idea why it's so low, probably a reason). I might try these two out and get appraised as the step after that. Also who knows how I feel in a week after trying some of these out, I could really see myself going for the GC1M despite the price tag, just trying to avoid it right now.

I've had a G1 for 31 years and even though it's only 5'3" I never felt any need to upgrade. It still sounds and plays like new.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with your G1, that's awesome. Yeah, I am leaning away from the GB1K for the reasons you stated pretty much.

On another note, someone recommended to try out the Knabe earlier, I am going to do that but the tuner did note that the piano is approaching the 50 year mark, which means close to the zone where it would need to be rebuilt or worked on in a serious fashion right? I suppose there are a LOT of factors, so I will try to do some more homework, maybe take a look at the piano buyers guide used articles to which I did not pay much attention to before.

Mark, I have been to Rick Jones and am planning another visit soon. But yeah, I tried a lot of used uprights last time, now I want to see the grands. Rick's free delivery would apply to me and the 10 year warranty on a used piano seems very appealing, indeed.

Update from GL-10 price, I was able to get $12,500, not the best but I think Retnac and Carey's earlier "minimum" target of about 20% off SMP. I will try to leverage this offer with another Kawai dealer to see if I can get any traction there. However, I have upon writing this, realized that GL-10 is perhaps too small... Will have to ask about GL-20's. My piano journey is constantly changing my desires. I did get to try a GL-20, lovely instrument! Still like the tone and touch, not as much as Yamahas but I could see myself being happy with either. I did not get to try a GL-20 side-by-side to a GC1, though. That woulda been nice. Also tried K800 (too expensive perhaps, if I can get 30 off SMP maybe its worth thinking about), very impressive bass for an upright and I liked the tone/touch for sure. For some reason K500 is not at the other Kawai dealer either.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission