2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (anotherscott, Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., Andy R, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, 21 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tom97 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I´ve been with my current teacher since march, so not so long and I did buy a little present which I handed to her at our last lesson a few days ago - just a box of pretty high-quality chocolates. I think besides being just a student and a teacher, we also become "friends" and we´ve spent some time talking about things not related to piano. I too appreciate that she plays for me from time to time her repertoire pieces - for example, my favorite Chopin´s op. 10 no. 4 last time which was quite an experience to hear live smile All this of course outside of my lesson time so sometimes I find myself spending 90 minutes there instead of the 60 a pay for (and I felt bad about that ...).

I´d like to know whether your relationship with your teacher is strictly professional or if there´s something more. And did you buy a Christmas gift for your teacher? smile

Merry Christmas and stay safe everyone wherever you are.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Yes! We purchased an Orchid plant from a grocery store, along with a card to express my gratitude for having her as a teacher.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I was actually planning to also give a gift to my teacher too. I can relate on the extended lessons. I usually talk a lot and have questions and often we run long and it’s very generous of him sounds like your teacher also gives you some extra time.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
No,

With the lockdown we use zoom for the piano lesson but I'll send her a virtual card Friday.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

T
Tom97 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
bSharp(C)yclist: The orchid was a good idea!

Serge88: The lockdown is the reason my teacher has so much more time now - all her concerts were canceled and a few of her students stopped the lessons for the time being (they don´t even do zoom). I understand this virus is a serious issue for some students and some teachers. I am 23 and my teacher is like 13 - 15 years older (no health issues) so we agreed on continuing the f2f lessons.
Hope this whole thing is over soon so we can all get back to our normal lessons!

Last edited by Tom97; 12/23/20 05:44 PM.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I didn't this year and I haven't in the past. I have been with my teacher for about five years now. We do chat now and then about off topic things and I think we would call each other friends. However, we do make an effort to keep the lessons as lessons. I would give her a gift as a token of appreciation if I stopped lessons or perhaps for some other non-recurring event.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Yes, I sent my piano teacher an e-gift card. It's practical. Nothing more to say about that. grin

I think our relationship is professional but a "good" professional. I know teacher/student relationships are more than "business" relationships but I try to keep things professional because from my experience, when money's involved, getting too "friendly" can get a little complicated. I've lost friends because I entered into business relationships with them. I don't want to lose my teacher so I prefer to keep it professional with her.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
In my youth I used to give my teacher a bottle of whisky at the end of the year. In recent years his surviving family asserted he had no drink in the house so he must have hidden it somewhere and got it down surreptitiously as I know he liked his drop.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
P
P
I’ve been with my teacher for 3 yrs. I gave her a Visa gift card which I put inside her Christmas card and gave it to her at my last lesson. We stay pretty professional.

Pat, short for Patricia
Kawai K-200
Started piano lessons in my retirement, January 2018
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
We stay mostly professional. I have been with him for 9 years and it is now through Zoom. I usually give him a gift but this year i gave him an extra check equal to one lesson. I know he is having a hard time since teaching usually accounts for only about half his income. However with Covid performing and accompanying are not available anymore. I am taking 1 1/2 hour lessons and he only charges me ten more dollars for the extra half hour and then sometimes goes over that. I am fortunate to be able to keep my job and work from home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission