2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (Abdol, Bostonmoores, burmashave, Augustina, agent8698, BlakeOR, 36251, 11 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Macy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Anyone tried any VST's on new Macs (Mac Mini or MacBook Air) with Apple Silicon (AS) yet? I doubt there is any native AS code versions yet, so I'm curious how they are running with the automatic Rosetta translation?

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
O
O

M
Macy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Thanks but I had seen that. Even posted a comment. There is only 1 actual user report in 4 pages and he was using an external audio interface that I'm not familiar with.

I'm just curious about other people's experiences. I'll be getting a couple new Mac-mini's for other applications in about a month or so, and just curious now because I might swap one with my piano Mac then.

Last edited by Macy; 12/20/20 03:43 AM.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you refer to me, I used Garritan CFX with both the MacBook Air's embedded audio interface and the Yamaha N1X's audio interface and it's the same: pops and cracks at regular latencies. Unfortunately I still find it barely usable and posted on Garritan's forum but that forum seems abandoned.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Hi Macy,

On my side, I can report that both Pianoteq 7 and Addictive Keys (Came with Audio interface) are working properly on my new Mac mini M1.

My setup is

* CA79
* Focusrite solo - 3rd gen

Other than that I am awaiting for NI (Noire) and Garritan CFX to be supported on M1 before committing to buy.

Last edited by sordes; 12/20/20 02:15 PM.

Sordess
Roland HP207, Kawai CA79
B
B
I’m waiting for a Mac Mini M1 with 16gb of ram. When I get it (not sure when since high demand) I will report back in Garritan and VSL D-274 smile

M
Macy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
If you refer to me, I used Garritan CFX with both the MacBook Air's embedded audio interface and the Yamaha N1X's audio interface and it's the same: pops and cracks at regular latencies. Unfortunately I still find it barely usable and posted on Garritan's forum but that forum seems abandoned.
Yes, Gene. That's a bummer. I had hoped it would work well without having to be recompiled to native code.

Having the unfortunate experience of counting on Garritan for literally years to follow through on their repeated and repeated and repeated promises to update their Authorized Steinway, I wonder if they will ever update the CFX again. I note they never updated it to include your obvious pedal improvements.

Macy

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There’s still some hope though, because they need to update only the Aria engine (not the piano itself) and to my understanding they use that engine across many of the Make Music products and apparently Apple are switching to the new architecture, so it’s in Make Music best interest to recompile that engine or their products will quickly become obsolete.

N
N
Hi,
Tonight I've been playing CFX lite on my MacBook Air M1 for over an hour with a buffer size of 32 (minimum latency) and I haven't experienced a single crack or pop. I just want to add that yesterday I had tried various settings (down to a minimum of buffer 64...I didn't even try 32) and I was getting cracks / pops around every minute or so at a buffer size of 64 which was annoying. I can't really say what has changed in the interim as today and yesterday I didn't have any other apps running. Just seems to be running perfectly today.
I tried loading the CFX lite as a plugin in garage band (for the purposes of this response) on the M1 MacBook Air and I was getting cracks and pops today every 20 seconds or so which was annoying so I don't think running it in GarageBand solves anything. Seems to be working (as I'm writing this) beautifully using the Aria player at the moment with a buffer size of 32.
So in my experience it does seem to work but I have been having issues previously which I haven't experienced today.
Cheers,
Nile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think CFX Lite is indeed lite, compared to CFX full. I’m wondering if I can install them side by side without screwing anything, since I own both.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
“32” buffer size is super low; very few computers can handle it. The lowest my aging computer can handle is 64, but then again, I don’t notice any latency, so perhaps 32 is overkill for me.

N
N
I think CFX Lite is indeed lite, compared to CFX full. I’m wondering if I can install them side by side without screwing anything, since I own both.
Should hopefully only be a matter of time before Garritan and others port their apps to run on apple silicon. I read somewhere that both versions can be run side by side but as I'm a noob I can't vouch for that personally. Worth a try!

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Change of silicon aside, I frequently make a change and then "successfully" test it for hours without issue, only to start hearing occasional pops and cracks the next day or so.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
M
Macy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
There’s still some hope though, because they need to update only the Aria engine (not the piano itself) and to my understanding they use that engine across many of the Make Music products and apparently Apple are switching to the new architecture, so it’s in Make Music best interest to recompile that engine or their products will quickly become obsolete.

That's a very good point.

Anyone try Kontakt yet on the M1?

Macy

@Macy

Yes I did try kontakt on M1. It works fine for me so far. I am using the free player version. Don’t know about the full version though

Sordess
Roland HP207, Kawai CA79
N
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Change of silicon aside, I frequently make a change and then "successfully" test it for hours without issue, only to start hearing occasional pops and cracks the next day or so.
This is what happened to me today basically

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Might have something to do with power states. Try it with and without the power adapter. There are also ways to force high power mode.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, I already have Garritan CFX click-free on my Air M1 😱

I did some voodoo magic on it though, so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe nothing of what I did matters and I was just lucky at the time. Anyways.

First I noticed that even though I downloaded the latest Garritan CFX Full installer from the website, it was showing "Aria Engine 1.894" and it turned out Garritan themselves offer an aria engine update: https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx?id=666

After I installed that update, the engine in the info screen showed 1.959. I retested again but nothing seemed changed, still clicks and pops.

Now, I don't know whether the Aria Player came with that update or it was there with the main installer but from another thread I learned that now I have this app "Aria Player" on my Mac installed. I opened it, loaded Garritan CFX on the left and then on the right clicked on settings:

[Linked Image]

Look at the two versions at the bottom left. They were initially both 1.959. However when I clicked on the Engine Update button, it showed there is 1.967 and I could open a link that allowed me to download that new version. I installed it and the screenshot shows it has been installed.

After than I closed the Aria Player (also closed all other applications), opened the Garritan CFX standalone app and tested everything again. And now I can play almost without clicks at buffer size of 64! Only with too many notes and pressed pedal it would click. But at buffer size of 128 which is usually the sane option it is click-less!

Now, this all can be just a huge coincidence. And having many other open apps (and I had my IDE which is a beast, Outlook, Zoom, Slack, Skype, Mail, Viber and 5-6 others open) would also cause some clicks.

But maybe that weird and obscure chain of updates could squeeze the best out of the Intel binary on the M1 CPU? Who knows.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For those that use the Garritan CFX stand alone player, you can see the version of the Aria Engine in the "advanced tab". The USB install was 1.901.

An easy way to update that engine is just to install free Sforzando player. Then opening the Garritan CFX player as usual, the advanced tab should show the latest Aria Engine 1.967. This works on Windows 10; not sure if it will work in OSX.

Alternatively, the Garritan site might have an update for the Aria Engine for some VIs but I never had much luck there.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Since I had to install the Kontakt player to test the free M&H library, I also installed Vintage D. I can confirm it plays good without any problems. I am not a huge fan of Vintage D, mostly because its pedaling needs something to be desired, however I can confirm it works without any problems on Apple Silicon. Something to note here is that at buffer size of 128 there was still some latency which is why I lowered the lowest possible size of 32 and it still played without glitches and with no latency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Titanic Piano
by Dakota - 07/24/21 11:50 PM
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,065
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission