2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (Boboulus, Andrew_G, Bostonmoores, Anil Kalagatla, bsalad, 21 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 586 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I was using Pianoteq 6 on my six-year-old DELL Windows 10 desktop computer with no problems, using the Focusrite 2i2 as the interface. But I've since bought a new DELL desktop Windows 10 PC, and I can't get Pianoteq to work. I've downloaded what I think is the right driver from the company, the Standard Edition, but nothing works.
I think the problem might be with the DELL audio system. I'm using the Realtek audio system for my computer's audio, and I can actually find that in Pianoteq's menu, but Pianoteq will only work with my digital piano through the Focusrite 2i2, which won't work. The Focusrite is connected to the PC, as the red light comes on, and DELL is recognizing the driver, but the 2i2 setting on Pianoteq just won't play any tones through the headphones. The Pianoteq test and demo songs work through my headphones, but my digital piano cannot play. I've been trying to contact Modartt on this, but it's hard to connect with them, since I'm in the USA and they're in France. I will try the company again, but if anyone in the meantime might have some suggestions, please feel free to give your opinions.

Thanks to everyone for all help and advice.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Could you be more specific? How are you connected? Are you using speakers or headphones? Are the headphones connected to headphone out of Focusrite or of the computer's headphone out? How is the DP connected to the PC?

When you press keys on your DP, do you see the keys on pianoteq software get highlighted in red? If so, your Midi connection is working. Assuming that is fine, have you selected ASIO or other settings? Take a screenshot of your audio setting in Pianoteq and post. That would give a better idea to help you.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
What Osho says --

.. . a diagram of what connects to what, would be useful.

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ADWyatt
[...] the 2i2 setting on Pianoteq just won't play any tones through the headphones. The Pianoteq test and demo songs work through my headphones, but my digital piano cannot play.

Well, is it a MIDI problem then?

Is Pianoteq for sure receiving MIDI from your piano? The keys and pedals on the Pianoteq should move and there's even a MIDI event view somewhere in the menus.

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Also, open Task Manager, get into the Services menu and disable Dell Data Vault services and Dell Supportassist services, they break latency badly.

About the drivers, make sure you install Focusrite native drivers; even though Windows may identify and use the 2i2 as audio input/output, the native drivers by Focusrite will provide better support/performance of the interface, including ASIO.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, install the native Focusrite drivers if you haven't done so already. You can get them by logging in to your Focusrite account.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Osho
Could you be more specific? How are you connected? Are you using speakers or headphones? Are the headphones connected to headphone out of Focusrite or of the computer's headphone out? How is the DP connected to the PC?

When you press keys on your DP, do you see the keys on pianoteq software get highlighted in red? If so, your Midi connection is working. Assuming that is fine, have you selected ASIO or other settings? Take a screenshot of your audio setting in Pianoteq and post. That would give a better idea to help you.

Osho

Okay, let's see if I can start narrowing this down by giving more details.

Some time previous to this post I went to Focusrite's web site and downloaded what I think is the proper driver for my Scarlett 2i2 interface, and that has been installed into my new computer. The problem is that the company has so many drivers that it's difficult to know which is the proper one. I downloaded the Standard edition, which I think is proper, but I have a feeling that the smart thing to do is power up my old computer and see if I can recognize the exact driver that it's using for Pianoteq.

Regarding my connection, I have a USB 2.0 cable going from the 2i2 into what I think is a USB 3.0 plug in the back of the computer (Could that be making a difference?), and a headphone wire going from the 2i2 into my DT 770 Pro headphones. I am only using the headphones for audio, and not the speakers of the Kawai CA65. On the Focusrite there is a red light shining, which is always on when my computer is on, and a small green light by the monitor dial. I can shut the red light off by pushing its button, but I keep getting the nagging feeling that that light used to be green, or maybe I'm just deluded.

The Focusrite driver is recognized by the DELL, so I don't know what to think. However, something rather odd happened yesterday. The same DELL technician who tried to find out if my audio was somehow defective (preventing Pianoteq from working) also noticed that I did not have my 4k monitor hooked up properly. It was connected to the motherboard, rather than to the NVidia 4k graphics card. After I got off the line, I shut down the computer and plugged the monitor cable into the NVidia slot and got glorious 4k. But the audio vanished, and I couldn't get it back. After calling DELL back, a techie took control of my computer and downloaded the driver for Realtek audio, which had mysteriously vanished, and then everything worked. Everything, of course, except Pianoteq.

To be safe, I think I will call DELL tech support again, and see if there is any danger to disabling the DELL Data Vault services and Supportassist services. If indeed they cause latency, and they're not needed, they have to go.

Thanks in advance for any additional help you may give me.

A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Osho

Osho

Okay, let's see if I can start narrowing this down by giving more details.

Some time previous to this post I went to Focusrite's web site and downloaded what I think is the proper driver for my Scarlett 2i2 interface, and that has been installed into my new computer. The problem is that the company has so many drivers that it's difficult to know which is the proper one. I downloaded the Standard edition, which I think is proper, but I have a feeling that the smart thing to do is power up my old computer and see if I can recognize the exact driver that it's using for Pianoteq.

Regarding my connection, I have a USB 2.0 cable going from the 2i2 into what I think is a USB 3.0 plug in the back of the computer (Could that be making a difference?), and a headphone wire going from the 2i2 into my DT 770 Pro headphones. I am only using the headphones for audio, and not the speakers of the Kawai CA65. On the Focusrite there is a red light shining, which is always on when my computer is on, and a small green light by the monitor dial. I can shut the red light off by pushing its button, but I keep getting the nagging feeling that that light used to be green, or maybe I'm just deluded.

The Focusrite driver is recognized by the DELL, so I don't know what to think. However, something rather odd happened yesterday. The same DELL technician who tried to find out if my audio was somehow defective (preventing Pianoteq from working) also noticed that I did not have my 4k monitor hooked up properly. It was connected to the motherboard, rather than to the NVidia 4k graphics card. After I got off the line, I shut down the computer and plugged the monitor cable into the NVidia slot and got glorious 4k. But the audio vanished, and I couldn't get it back. After calling DELL back, a techie took control of my computer and downloaded the driver for Realtek audio, which had mysteriously vanished, and then everything worked. Everything, of course, except Pianoteq.

To be safe, I think I will call DELL tech support again, and see if there is any danger to disabling the DELL Data Vault services and Supportassist services. If indeed they cause latency, and they're not needed, they have to go.

Thanks in advance for any additional help you may give me.

Additional information to the above...When I play keys on my CA65 the red keys on Pianoteq DO NOT light up.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Additional information to the above...When I play keys on my CA65 the red keys on Pianoteq DO NOT light up.

OK, so that is the first problem to fix. Check two things:

1. How is your Digital piano connected to your PC? Also, open Pianoteq Options -> Midi. Do you see your digital piano or any USB midi devices listed. Is there a checkbox next to it that is checked? You must have your digital piano or USB midi device selected in that setting. After that make sure that when you play the piano, the pianoteq keys are highlighted with red. This is the first step. Without this working, nothing else you will do with Audio drivers etc. is going to help.

2. With a mouse click the keyboard of pianoteq. Do you hear piano sound in the headphones?

Report back on these 2 findings and people can help you further.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
.. .

That's the problem to solve _first_.

I assume that there's a USB cable from the CA65 to the computer's USB port:

. . . If not, how are you sending MIDI signals from the CA65 to the computer?

That connection must be made, one way or another, before anything else will work. Let's assume that it _is_ made.. .

My suggestion (which bypasses the 2i2, for testing purposes, and uses the computer's built-in audio):

Start up Pianoteq.

Plug headphones into the computer's headphone jack.

In the Windows taskbar (at the bottom of the screen), set the loudspeaker volume to 100.

In Pianoteq, click on "Edit -> Preferences -> Devices"

. . . Active MIDI Inputs: Click on "Listen to All MIDI Inputs"

. . . . . You should see your DP in that list -- it will probably be the
. .... .. only device listed.

. . . Audio Device Type: set to "Windows Audio"

. . . Audio Output: Speakers (Realtek . . . )

. . . Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

. . . Audio Buffer Size: 480 samples

. . . Click on "Test" -- you should hear a tone in the headphones.

So we know there's a path from Pianoteq, to your headphones.

Click on "MIDI"

. . . Global MIDI mapping: set to "Minimalistic"

. .. Dialect: set to "auto-detect"

Play a scale, several times, on the DP:

. . . . You should see a MIDI messages in the "MIDI Messages" window,

. . . . . . and you should hear the notes play in the headphones.

(Sometimes, it takes a few notes before Pianoteq starts playing.)

If that last step doesn't work, your DP isn't sending messages to the computer, or there is something really obscure happening in the MIDI software inside the computer, or inside Pianoteq.

There may be some menu settings in the CA65 that need to be changed, or a driver that has to be loaded into the computer so that it "hears" the CA65 -

. . . the CA65 User Manual, or an extra manual that describes its
. . . . MIDI communication in detail, may be needed.

But most DP's ship from the factory with settings that assume that MIDI should be sent.

Report back .. . .

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E

Hello, you do not need to call Dell, try it by yourself. Install latencymon, run it and play any audio source for a while with these services running and stopped. I cannot tell you for sure if it will have the same behavior, but I can tell you for sure they totally screw audio up on my laptops (stutter/breaks/motorcycle like noises) due to latencies, identified with with the help of latencymon.

About consequences of disabling them: supportassist services are needed to check the hardware when you use either the Dell online tool or the supportassist application installed by Dell. So, I only enable it once in a while when I want to check for updates of drivers/BIOS. About Data vault, I do not know what it is for, only that when it was active, I experienced the same stutter/breakes/motocycle like noises, caused by latency, also identified with the help of latencymon.

So far these services have not been missed here. smile

About your audio problems, I don't think they are related to these services. I mentioned these services as a heads-up.

Anyway, before disabling them, I would have Pteq and other non-functioning software fully functional.

Is 2i2 working for other audio sources, e.g. youtube? Does the driver install some control panel to set buffer size and other ASIO related configurations? I am asking before I have it for both RD2000 and Yamaha AG06.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mini Master Class - Put a RING on it!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/25/21 01:59 PM
A phenomenal Gershwin pianist
by pianoloverus - 07/25/21 11:34 AM
Key Bushing with Leather
by Seeker - 07/25/21 10:55 AM
Piano Buddies pics from July Playdate
by Rickster - 07/25/21 10:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,198
Posts3,116,203
Members102,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission