2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (clothearednincompo, chopin_r_us, Animisha, Calavera, Burkey, Beansparrow, 10 invisible), 451 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
I've literally gotten three different answers from the three people that have responded between here and the VSL community.

1. Paul from VSL says, "I'd go for more cores and as much RAM as possible."

2. MacMacMac says, "core choice will not matter with respect to a VST. Neither will your 16 GB vs. 32 GB choice."

3. Erand says, "I would prefer to have more ram, especially with this particular VST."

I wonder why this subject is such a mystery?

God Bless,
David

The Synchron CFX is particularly taxing, and it's written to make use of more cores. More RAM means you can preload more of each sample. There are so many voices, disk latency can be a problem. I had difficulty streaming all the mic positions from a USB3 SSD with a lower buffer size. I only had 6 GB RAM on my last computer. 8 is the official minimum but 16 is recommended. If you're only using the piano, that should be enough.

Last edited by johnstaf; 11/01/18 03:42 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by johnstaf

The Synchron CFX is particularly taxing, and it's written to make use of more cores. More RAM means you can preload more of each sample. There are so many voices, disk latency can be a problem. I had difficulty streaming all the mic positions from a USB3 SSD with a lower buffer size. I only had 6 GB RAM on my last computer. 8 is the official minimum but 16 is recommended. If you're only using the piano, that should be enough.

You were right.

For the past few days I've been running my VSL CFX on my new Mac mini i5 3GHz/6 core/6 thread/16GB ram and it handles the VSL very well. I can't play anything really difficult, but to test it I hold down the sustain pedal and run my fingers over all the keys. I can do that indefinitely and get perfect sound production with the buffer set to 64.

Before I was running the VSL CFX on my MacBook Air i7 2GHz/2 core/4 thread/8GB ram and that poor little machine couldn't handle it. It would click and pop with the buffer set at 256 and get really hot with the fan running at max.

I'm very happy with my new setup and I'm glad I went with more cores and ram.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 11/11/18 04:41 AM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
P
P
Hi everybody!

Our Yamaha CFX is available at 25% off until new year#s eve.
Combine your purchase with our 3+1 Voucher Special Offer and benefit from another 25% off!

Check out Guy Bacos with a great preset comparison that fits the season:

Greetings from Vienna,
Paul

Product Manager
Vienna Symphonic Library
www.vsl.co.at
U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
I think the cfx and the bösendorfer are the best synchron piano's.

The cfx has a very interesting tone and the most variety in timbre playing from soft to loud, which is very nice. For me it beats garritan cfx easily as it just feels/sounds more realistic.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I would love this -- if it was better tuned. There's a heavily out of tuned E natural on White Christmas, it's really obvious. smile Otherwise, this instrument is really good sounding.

U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by David Lai
I would love this -- if it was better tuned. There's a heavily out of tuned E natural on White Christmas, it's really obvious. smile Otherwise, this instrument is really good sounding.

Funny, I never noticed that. But do know the synchron player offers per-note tuning options. No idea how good that works, I never tried it. I can imagine you couldn't perfect an out of tune note since alot of keys have multiple strings on a piano.

I'd say the cfx is in very good tune, as is every vsl piano except the vienna imperial.

G
G
In my memory the VSL CFX has some tuning problems. They aren't as bad as the ones in the Vienna Imperial, but still noticeable enough. The Steinway was their first piano where the tuning was acceptable to me. All considered though the CFX is a good purchase. I feel it's better than the Steinway. Didn't try the new Boesendorfer though.

G
G
I love the vsl cfx. I tend to use it equally often as the garritan, but the vsl has many more options to sculpt the sound, and is as good in playability, maybe even better. It has really a fantastic tone and especially in direct comparison with garritan, it sounds tidier in mid bass frequencies and there is more air and threedimensionality to the sound. If you have the money, buy both (imo) because they're really kind of the best vst's you can buy, but I just like the clarity and precision of tone from the vsl. In my opinion, it sounds better in comparison but you need good headphones and a high quality recording (for example wav) to really enjoy the difference. Maybe I can make a little uncompressed side by side thing here

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
G
G
@Gamma
Agreed, the three dimensionality or depth is great in the VSL version. Especially the dynamic range is fantastic. The range in the Garritan is good, but leaves something to be desired for me. It could be louder. I personally found the tone of the VSL a bit too harsh. The Garritan is softer in a very pleasant way. Also the Garritan has the natural reverb of the Abbey Road Studios baked in. Which is either good or bad, depending on your preferences. To me it's the best sounding reverb'd digital piano I've ever heard. The reverb of the room mics in the VSL piano is rather meh IMHO. Also, not to forget, the copy protection in the Garritan is simple and easy and leaves you in full control of what you bought, while you need a dongle for the VSL. That was ultimately the reason for me to abandon the VSL pianos that I bought, because I didn't want to grow dependent on a piece of software that I don't have full control over. But I don't want to derail the thread here, I've discussed this plenty of times in the forums. Finally I agree with you, whoever can buy both should do that.

PS: Also the Garritan is perfectly in tune and doesn't have any notes that stand out negatively, it's the most evenly sampled piano I've ever played.

Last edited by Grazilerimba; 12/15/20 07:40 PM.
G
G
Very detailed comment and I agree with most of it, the reason I answer is simply because it helped me a lot to drastically reduce the velocity mapping curve inside my DAW for the vsl cfx (and Steinway, not so much Bösendorfer!). It seems like they just sample the pianos up to VERY loud. Like 'ffff' loud. I never needed anywhere close to it, because frankly it sounds stupid in 'normal' piano music. As Czerny puts it, even the loudest ff should never be metallic, too harsh, unpleasant to the ear. BUT: if you would need an instrument for a piano concerto or modern music? This will stand out!! I never had problems with the Garritan btw with maximal velocity. When I leave default, I really have to smash my instrument for a ff, but it feels just about right. Maybe a tiny bit less than a real grand. Only very rarely I had to make the curve a bit sharper. But again, for the vsl I always decrease it a lot. Because I realized, it just sounds better! It was by the way a recommendation from someone here on the forum, that's why I like the exchange.

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
D
D
I would love for them to sample a Steingraeber & Söhne. Nothing really out there except Pianoteq.

Kawai ES8
C
C
I really didn't think the Garritan could be knocked off my top spot, but the VSL CFX is comfortably in first place now (probably with Garritan in second). It did take more work to get it sounding as I wanted it, and I needed to lower the midi sensitivity to about -20, but it's really a beautiful instrument.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another playing demo by Simeon Amburgey.

B
B
If you buy from Best Service using code 2020, you can get an extra $20 off. The code is good until 12/27.

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Kawai GE 1 vs Yamaha GB1K
by Lissplayspiano - 05/17/21 09:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,999
Posts3,094,766
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission