2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (CaseyVancouver, Bruce In Philly, brdwyguy, 3B43, c++, 19 invisible), 519 guests, and 576 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3056281 12/13/20 12:56 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
How about a DP with built-in Pianotec and VST instruments?

How about custom made DPs? Select audio / BT in, speaker (size), 76-88, etc? Why "one size fits all"?

Got it as to economies of scale, but I have the impression people are over and underpaying for what they want.

Thoughts?

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
For the simple reason that there is not enough of a market for these things you mention. Large majority of DP buyers just want to turn DP on and play. Most do not even know what VST is.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax

How about custom made DPs? Select audio / BT in, speaker (size), 76-88, etc? Why "one size fits all"?

Got it as to economies of scale, but I have the impression people are over and underpaying for what they want.

Thoughts?

Oh dear... not again.

There is a VST player by MUSE research called Receptor, that does exactly what you want. Loading a VST requires a full OS.

BT and wireless is nonsense. We have not managed to transfer CD quality audio uncompressed wirelessly yet. So BT is completely out of question.

Custom setup Get a stage piano...

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
There was one... https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=3 It came with Pianoteq, but you could load alternate VSTs if you preferred (see the Specifications tab on that page).

But in general, you could buy your DP or controller of choice, put a Surface Pro on it, and have the same thing, probably at lower cost. Keyboard manufacturers can't make the computer part as cheaply as Microsoft can, or sell at the same volume-based low margins.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Keyboard manufacturers can't make the computer part as cheaply as Microsoft can, or sell at the same volume-based low margins.

Perhaps this is the main reason + having to pay Pianoteq for licensing?

Also, your on-board piano is a VST in the sense that it is virtual and not real. So Yamaha doesn’t need to stick Garritan’s CFX in there; they only need to make their own CFX sample/modeling better. I’m simply assuming Garritan’s rendition is better based on other people’s opinions (I’ve not tried Garritan’s CFX), but truth is that the current offering by Yamaha is very good, and it ‘blends’ beautifully with Pianoteq via the audio interface.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Thoughts?
About Pianoteq : you can purchase a Steingraeber piano with its Silent module made in collaboration with Modartt. I suppose that the Piano Phoenix by Adel H came from a collaboration with Modartt too (pure speculation).

About “any” VST instrument. A VST instruments is optimized to be controlled with a screen and a mouse. A digital piano has typically a very little screen not usable for most VST. A typical DP should not look like a workstation synthesiser. Then an adaptation of each virtual instrument is needed to use efficiently the available screen/button set.

A custom made DP does exists. It is the Viscount Legends’ 70s where you can choose the keyboard (3 options), and add different sound modules (Acoustic piano, Clavinet, External module) to the default E.Piano and Sound Collection modules.

Some synthesisers did have some extension possible (Motif ES with its PLG cards, Roland synthesisers with SRX cards), but now, the extension is mostly by downloading libraries.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 12/13/20 03:10 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
There was one... https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=3 It came with Pianoteq, but you could load alternate VSTs if you preferred (see the Specifications tab on that page).

But in general, you could buy your DP or controller of choice, put a Surface Pro on it, and have the same thing, probably at lower cost. Keyboard manufacturers can't make the computer part as cheaply as Microsoft can, or sell at the same volume-based low margins.

This thing has a windows XP in it. WERSI also has a similar concept.

The point is the loading time. The majority of high-end DPs use microcontrollers that have very simple motherboards, or an on-board tone generator (e.g. Yamaha).

No one is interested in a silly Windows XP embedded in a fake digital piano shell. You can buy a mac mini and hook it under a far better DP.

The loading time is a major factor. I'm will only buy Pianoteq if it's ready to play under 5 seconds including the boot time/stand-by time for the operating system.

Imagine to log-in to your computer to play Pianoteq... how stupid is that?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Abdol
The majority of high-end DPs use microcontrollers that have very simple motherboards, or an on-board tone generator (e.g. Yamaha).
Yes, my old (2002) piano has a simple Super Hitachi 3 (SH3) CPU too handle user the interface and a SWP50 DSP (Yamaha specific), to produce the sound from a wavetable in ROM. Now the SWP70 (Montage and some Yamaha arrangers) can stream samples directly from NAND flash... no loading times like in most sampled based VST. The way Yamaha works has some important advantage from a DP point of vue (fast boot) over a PC based architecture (the booting time of the Kronos is far too long).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 12/13/20 03:51 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't see the point. Every piano already has a VST built-in.
Small caveats:
Except for the VPC.
And, strictly speaking, the built-in sound is not a VST. The tech is a bit different.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, a VST is just a bunch of software which is compliant to the Steinberg’s Virtual Studio Technology. It is not a synonymous of a virtual instrument which can be compliant to something else (AAX, AU, LV2, LADSPA...).

But here what was expected is a DP which can import a VST made for a PC... there are too many issues to fixed (graphic user interface, licence activation, full OS support...) that it won’t happen. The best thing to expect is a partnership with a VST editor which would port the VST engine to a DP platform. Probably easier with Pianoteq which has an ARM version.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 12/13/20 07:07 PM.

O
O
Native has Maschine+(standalone sampler technology), some midi keyboards and some great piano library.
Maybe, in the future, they will combine everything in a unique piece.
A 88 midi controller with Noire/Gentleman vsts built in would be awesome.

R
R
Ptq inside, or Ptq music box.
I think the latter is more possible and convenient, based on ARM structure and built in DAC. Just MIDI USB out and line in from DP.
UI controlling by iPhone or ipad remote connection.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
Pianoteq in my piano!!! Nope. I don't even want Pianoteq in my quadrant of the galaxy.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Interesting responses for this somewhat multi-part inquiry... ranging from the "forget it" to the "well, maybe...."

I don't know about you swingin' cats, but I get bored with having only "one" piano sound and like the variety that Pianotec and VSTs bring to the table. It's pretty much agreed here that DP manufactures won't spend the coin to put VST level samples in their boxes. (note: I like the sounds from my Kawais very much). But why not join forces? BTW, I successfully ran Pianotec off of a $100 Windows tablet (that had a USB port), for busking with a $100 61 key, ketar-able but unweighted controller. Sounded great.

BTW, the same debate is currently ranging in the wind synth world, with new offerings, but none of them getting it right yet.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
BTW, I successfully ran Pianotec off of a $100 Windows tablet (that had a USB port), for busking with a $100 61 key, ketar-able but unweighted controller. Sounded great.
So plug that same Windows tablet into your keyboard of choice (your PX5S, your Numa Compact 2X, whatever), and it sounds like you're all set! Not only have you done it more cheaply than if those companies had built PT into the boards themselves, but you even have the bonus of only having to have bought it once, yet you can use it on any of numerous boards you have or may buy in the future!

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
BTW, I successfully ran Pianotec off of a $100 Windows tablet (that had a USB port), for busking with a $100 61 key, ketar-able but unweighted controller. Sounded great.
So plug that same Windows tablet into your keyboard of choice (your PX5S, your Numa Compact 2X, whatever), and it sounds like you're all set! Not only have you done it more cheaply than if those companies had built PT into the boards themselves, but you even have the bonus of only having to have bought it once, yet you can use it on any of numerous boards you have or may buy in the future!

Pretty much sums up the story. No point in reinventing the wheel when it's already there. The other solutions mentioned all use this similar setup.

The most extreme case is the Korg KRONOS. Kronos is a plug-in player. I don't know anything about their formats but Korg has its own Linux OS that is capable of loading its own plugins, the 9 engines you see in Kronos.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting responses for this somewhat multi-part inquiry... ranging from the "forget it" to the "well, maybe...."

I don't know about you swingin' cats, but I get bored with having only "one" piano sound and like the variety that Pianotec and VSTs bring to the table. It's pretty much agreed here that DP manufactures won't spend the coin to put VST level samples in their boxes. (note: I like the sounds from my Kawais very much). But why not join forces? BTW, I successfully ran Pianotec off of a $100 Windows tablet (that had a USB port), for busking with a $100 61 key, ketar-able but unweighted controller. Sounded great.

BTW, the same debate is currently ranging in the wind synth world, with new offerings, but none of them getting it right yet.

My iPad Air 2 with Korg Module and Synthogy Mobile American Grand (and other built-in piano sounds) along a cheap camera kit interface is also a good way to have better piano sound, in my case with my MOX8 I have on an alternate residence.

iPads, even old, have a good potential as sound modules.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Buy a Roland and you’ll have a piano similar to Pianoteq, namely an “infinitely tweakable” piano that can be made to recreate any existing or even non-existing piano in the universe, if you’re that type of believer.

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/14/20 04:20 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Pianoteq in my piano!!! Nope. I don't even want Pianoteq in my quadrant of the galaxy.

LOL, "I Darth Mac 'your galactic quadrant overlord' hereby ban Pianoteq from my piano and the third spiral of the milky-way, by order of the imperial senate"

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Buy a Roland and you’ll have a piano similar to Pianoteq, namely an “infinitely tweakable” piano that can be made to recreate any existing or even non-existing piano in the universe, if you’re that type of believer.

I don't reckon they're that tweakable. The variations between different pianos in Pianoteq are subtle and reflect the character of the original instrument, I fondly like to think.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Piano Serial..
by Jasper82 - 05/05/21 04:21 PM
Need Owners opinion FP-30 (X) vs AP-710
by Raelias - 05/05/21 04:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,736
Posts3,090,155
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission