2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I'm looking for a desk exactly like this:
https://zaorstudiofurniture.com/product/miza-z/

But with a trey large enough for the Kawai MP11SE.
As far as I can tell from the specs, the Zaor Miza-Z can not contain the MP11SE, but maybe I'm missing something, if so, please explain,
if not, what alternative do you know that capable to contain the MP11SE?

Thanks in advance.

D
D
Even the Miza 88 XL is not high and deep enough for a MP11se.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm having trouble imagining how I'd negotiate leg space vs surface height with a DP that big in a desk like that.

I, too, wanted a nice Zaor studio workstation/desk but I had a hard time justifying the price they want for them.

So I designed and built my own studio study desk using 1" thick desktops (particle board with melamine surfaces) purchased from Amazon. I think it came out pretty good. I like having my PC and monitors on the upper stationary platform and my Casio PX-360 on a sliding drawer below. I also incorporated a storage shelf down below, which also provides some added strength.

[Linked Image]

John_C - Colorado Springs
D
D
That looks great, John!

OP - the MP11se weighs 3 times more and is also much deeper and taller than the Casio so I'm not sure how well the pull-out shelf concept will work.

I saw this Plixio Z stand and thought of you. It doesn't look custom but seems pretty practical.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07574VQPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_M-MZFbYKD7EYF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
@ John , looks cool. I recommend you go with a larger monitor since the piano adds so much distance between you and the screen vs a normal keyboard.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jeffcat
@ John , looks cool. I recommend you go with a larger monitor since the piano adds so much distance between you and the screen vs a normal keyboard.

Not necessary; rather, a much cheaper option is a pair of these...
Brings the screen to you!!
[Linked Image]

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
G
giu Offline
G
I am a bit hesitant to post this given the messiness. But here it goes. K&M18953 with add-on support for a second keyboard holding a board. Very solid. I am sure it can be made neater blush

[img]https://imgur.com/eB8BVB0[/img]

Last edited by giu; 12/08/20 04:25 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by giu
I am a bit hesitant to post this given the messiness. But here it goes. K&M18953 with add-on support for a second keyboard holding a board. Very solid. I am sure it can be made neater blush

You cannot use the link directly for the image to show. In this case, just adding .jpg to the link also works.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by EVC2017; 12/08/20 05:36 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
G
giu Offline
G
Originally Posted by EVC2017
You cannot use the link directly for the image to show. In this case, just adding .jpg to the link also works.

Aha, I could not figure that out. Thanks!

H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by giu

[Linked Image]

I talked to a carpentry shop, they told me they can't make a desk with a draw for the Kawai MP11SE because it is too heavy.

Up until now, that seems like the only direction I can go with:
To put the Kawai MP11SE on my On-Stage KS7350 stand, then go to a carpentry shop, order a desk about 10 cm higher than the Kawai MP11SE plus the On-Stage KS7350, and put the desk above the Kawai MP11SE buttons while the keys of the MP11SE are emerge in front of me and not below the desk. 10 cm gap, I think, will be enough for me to reach the MP11SE buttons and even to grab the instrument if I want to store it in a flight case(by the way I ordered a flight case for the MP11SE, didn't arrived yet. I thought that I'm really serious about this instrument and it's time for me to get a case for it).

There is a big drawback about this plan, which is that without a draw for the MP11SE it will always be not very convenient to reach to the computer mouse and keyboard, at least I guess so, but I don't have experience with such a desk, so if someone can share his experience with such desk and how convenient or inconvenient it is to reach to the computer mouse and keyboard it will be great. This inconveniency that I'm thinking about would be more acceptable if my computer was dedicated to music production only, but I'm also using it for general purpose.

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
> I talked to a carpentry shop, they told me they can't make a desk with a draw for the Kawai MP11SE because it is too heavy.

Hehe, you didn't show them John C's image did you?
Sure it must be a heavy duty desk, with heavy duty rails.
Find another carpentry shop.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by _sem_
> I talked to a carpentry shop, they told me they can't make a desk with a draw for the Kawai MP11SE because it is too heavy.

Find another carpentry shop.
This! smile

For the keyboard drawer, I used heavy-duty ball-bearing sliders that hold up to 250 pounds. I also incorporated aluminum L-channel stock on each side of the drawer where it connects to the sliders. Heavy-duty screws go through the slider bracket, through the aluminum L-channel, and then into the wood drawer. I would think if you construct the drawer with an an additional support piece running along the back edge, you should be able to accommodate the 75 pounds of the MP11SE.

[Linked Image]

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
What they mean is, if you extend 75lbs + pushing down on it, you can easily topple the desk, and they don't want to kill you.

Of course if you add ballast (counter weight) it should be quite safe.

But overall, if you want this thing to look nice, and not just nailed together 2by4s, it's going to expensive, the desk people probably sized up your wallet and said they couldn't do it.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/09/20 01:19 PM.
With my desk being constructed of 1" particle board, it is a sturdy and heavy piece of furniture. I don't think a 75lb board pulled out would create a stability problem, at least not on my desk.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It depends on how far you pull out the tray. A Proper desk would also need the slider mounting to be reinforced. If you had 75lbs on 1" boards, overtime it will start to rip out the wood around the screw holes, as those screws are very short and tiny. The weight will 100% cause the center tray to bow if it didn't have a cross brace. The sides of the desk could bow as well.

Again, this all goes towards a PROPER desk, if you don't care about the small details or that it might kill you, a diy rig is fine. If you go to a desk builder, they're not going to be able to custom something for you without a huge price tag. So the desk builder will give you the once over and estimate your spending capacity. This is a key skill for them, instead of having an argument with you over the price, if they think you can't afford it, they'll just say they can't do it. It's a time saver for them, and it's less offensive to the customer.

In the case of JohnC's setup, if I were building that to handle 75lb, I'd put 2by4s on the outside and use 1-3/4 screws from the inside to mount the sliders. I'd use the L brackets and have 2 pieces all the way across from and back. I'd also add a 2b4 ledge on the back of the table and put some bricks on there.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/10/20 03:18 PM.
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Talked to the same carpentry shop, they said they can build for me a desk for computer screen, speakers, etc, and a shorter and narrower table with castors for the MP11SE to put below that desk.
How about that solution? Sounds good?

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by hag01
Talked to the same carpentry shop, they said they can build for me a desk for computer screen, speakers, etc, and a shorter and narrower table with castors for the MP11SE to put below that desk.
How about that solution? Sounds good?

That's actually what I was about to suggest, but it'd look a bit hacky so I didn't want any engineers up in here criticizing the design..

Tell the shop to install bumper rails on the outside of the inner table and the inner side panel of the outer table so that the two surfaces don't scratch each other up. Maybe glued nylon strips.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/10/20 07:15 PM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Are you sure it has to be a table though ?

You can wall mount a monitor, and just have everything else hanging out on the regular piano stand. regular lower table.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission