2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
yoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
anyone can confirm that ? in my country the yamaha is cheaper than the roland but the light action concerns me .. any advice ?

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
The P45 has a heavy "crust" at the top, then softens.
The Roland PHA4 starts out soft but you must push further down with the key travel, also doesn't feel light.
The Kawai ES110 is similar as the Roland but lighter.
But this is difficult to describe, you should just try and decide for yourself which you prefer.

Y
yoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by _sem_
also doesn't feel light.
do you mean by that "also" that the yamaha doesn't feel light ?

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
I owned a P-45 for a day or so. It's action was very light and, to me, felt like a toy.

O
O
I didn't like the P45 very much.
I tried a bunch of keyboards this weekend.

CASIO
CDPS100
S3000
PX770
Ap460 (or something 460)

Kawai KDP70

Korg LP 380
C1Air
G1 Air

All the Casios felt very similar, short pivot, ugly plastic keys. Speakers quite weak. Not my favourite

Kawai has a better action. imho.

Korg LP 380 sounded better than all of them, good speakers, RH3 keybed is great. No USB midi or lube in a bit of a shame

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Yamaha action is lighter. I had the FP50 for a number of years; it was a solid reliable action but heavier. My dodgy fingers preferred this action for some reason, but that GHS still did the job well imo and that. too was very reliable..

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by OU812
No lube in a bit of a shame

Well, you can't expect too much at this price level. wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
O
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by OU812
No lube in a bit of a shame

Well, you can't expect too much at this price level. wink

LOL. I like to really get to know my Piano.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by yoko
Originally Posted by _sem_
also doesn't feel light.
do you mean by that "also" that the yamaha doesn't feel light ?

I recall the measured static downweights on the Yamaha P/CLP are rather high.
But I think the overall "heaviness" one feels is relate to the finger "work" along the path when pushing down dynamically, W = integral F(s) ds, where s is the path from the top to the bottom, and F(s) is not constant.
In this sense I think the Roland is heavier, but they feel quite different and this should be measured properly to tell for sure. However, nobody does this, because it is your subjective feeling that matters to you, not the objectively measured heaviness wink

J
J
The best information I have seen about the actions is the video from James Pavel Shawcross: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChMHi2auG_c
The comparison is actually between P-125 and FP-30 (plus Kawai ES-110 and Casio PX-S3000).
As far as I know the key action itself is the same in P-125 as P-45 (GHS) and in FP-30 as FP-10 (PHA-4).

(There are important differences in the sound engines of these more expensive models vs. the ones asked about, at both vendors.)

Kawai KDP-90
J
J
[quote=_sem_
But I think the overall "heaviness" one feels is relate to the finger "work" along the path when pushing down dynamically, W = integral F(s) ds, where s is the path from the top to the bottom, and F(s) is not constant. [/quote]

Unfortunately the whole F(s) is a bit hard to accurately measure. But exactly to this question I posted the video link above, as the curve of F(s) seems to be very different.

Kawai KDP-90
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Of course it is difficult to measure with just a set of weights. It would take an artificial finger that could reproducibly strike the key with different velocities, a properly mounted strain gauge to measure the force during the course of the strikes, a sensor for the vertical position. Not that the Germans don't do such measurements with various consumer products, but even if you have the measurements done it is still not straightforward to tell what they mean to you subjectively. So it is better to just try playing them wink

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If the P-45 has the same action as the P-125, then the action is fine.

Yes it's lighter than the FP-10 - but that's a good thing: the FP-10 is rather heavy and tiring.

Last edited by Burkey; 12/03/20 08:45 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
J
J
I highly appreciate attempts for measurements.
They sometimes help to understand the feelings and allow to some extent an objective basic comparison. Plus sometimes discover design flaws, too.

Kawai KDP-90
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
FP10/30 's PHA4 action is not just heavy at the top, the whole travel ~10-11mm has alot of resistance.

The P45 /125 GHS action is lighter at the top than the PHA4 is, but also throughout the whole travel.

Casio has the short pivot problem in this price range. not heavier or lighter, bout the same

Korg's action in the range is almost identical to the P45 in design.

Kawai has the rhc, It is kinda bouncy like others have said, this can be distracting depending on what and how you play.

PHA4 is exhausting to play at length, I'm not saying it's bad, but it is very fatiguing, especially on fast pieces. It will fatigue experienced and novice players alike, this is not a skills issue. You would of course need to know how to attack a heavy action by using arm and whole body momentum, otherwise the problem is even worse if you play with finger strength alone, it's much too heavy for that.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/07/20 05:38 PM.
J
J
I've measured a lot of these actions with what I've been shown to be the correct way. Even if what I did was not perfect, it was consistent.
https://dtmblabber.blogspot.com
None of the normal digital piano actions feel like an acoustic--that's for sure--but the downweight/upweight measurements don't really show that. I think the majority of the reason for that is pivot length. My Yamaha p71 is actually quite heavy and shallow when playing into the keys, but out of the edge it's nice and light and of a normal depth. That high upweight also feels weird on the fingers. Only a few acoustic pianos I measured were like that, but they didn't feel as weird. weight is easy to measure. Feel is impossible, but I will say that the Rolands in general feel too heavy compared to almost any real piano I've played whereas that Yamahas feel about right with the weight aspect. The Rolands do seem to feel closer to real IMO... just real heavy.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
That is correct Jenglish, it's not just the weight, what you feel is the whole Resistance-Curve, this is affected by the counter weights AND their pivot positions.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/09/20 02:59 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission