2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
It is really incredible how the same headphones could cause such a diverse physical and acoustic sensation... I am sorry as I recommended the DT-770 Pro which, in my case, are extremely comfortable and sound pretty well. But it seems it is not the same, not even closer for some of you.

On the other hand, I immediately returned a 99€ BF bought Sennheiser HD-599 as I could not stand then for more than 15 minutes!. Go figure...

No need to worry! I bought the Beyerdynamic HD 770s prior to seeing your post. Since I've been dealing with saxophone mouthpiece TMJ issues, headphone TMJ issues simply was not on my radar! What didn't you like about the 599s in terms of comfort? TMJ issues? Or simply uncomfortable? I'm looking for closed (noisy environment here, plus I want closed cans for recording my saxophone and can't have headphone bleed). So I'm considering the Sennheiser HD280s (closed, $99), a studio staple. Thanks.

My problem with the 599s was too much pressure over the head sides. A lot more, IMO, than BDs generate. So in short session time they were uncomfortable for me and I decided to return them.

Incidentally, some days later I got another pair of "like new" BDs 770 Pro, but 250 Ohm instead of 80 Ohm, as my other two units (I have one on each studio). I have not yet compared them.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
G
G
Beyerdynamic T1 and a good DAC and Amp. So happy

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
[quote=EB5AGV]It is really incredible how the same headphones could cause such a diverse physical and acoustic sensation... I am sorry as I recommended the DT-770 Pro which, in my case, are extremely comfortable and sound pretty well. But it seems it is not the same, not even closer for some of you.

On the other hand, I immediately returned a 99€ BF bought Sennheiser HD-599 as I could not stand then for more than 15 minutes!. Go figure...

My problem with the 599s was too much pressure over the head sides. A lot more, IMO, than BDs generate. So in short session time they were uncomfortable for me and I decided to return them.

Incidentally, some days later I got another pair of "like new" BDs 770 Pro, but 250 Ohm instead of 80 Ohm, as my other two units (I have one on each studio). I have not yet compared them.

That's interesting - the 770s clamped really tight on the sides of my head - instant TMJ pain that lasted all day (only wore them for a few minutes).

The 599s are billed as "featherweight." So, opposite results for you!

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
C
C
I ve been using BeyerDynamic DT 880 PRO (250Ohms) for about a year and are by far the most confortable heaphones I’ve had. I can use them all day without any discomfort.

Kawai ES110

That's interesting - the 770s clamped really tight on the sides of my head - instant TMJ pain that lasted all day (only wore them for a few minutes)

My 770s did when I first got them, then I stretched the headband out slightly (as quite a few people do and recommend) and now they're the most comfortable cans I've owned yet. I can see how they'd irritate the jaw though as the cups are rather huge.

Yamaha N1X
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I tried the 770 a while back. I found it extremely comfortable. I did not buy it because I had already replaced my headphones. But I think it's a worthwhile choice.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . I'm looking for closed (noisy environment here, plus I want closed cans for recording my saxophone and can't have headphone bleed). So I'm considering the Sennheiser HD280s (closed, $99), a studio staple. Thanks.

The two models that keep appearing, for that niche:

Senn HD280 (which I have);

Shure MDR 7506

Years ago, I asked a recording guy (who was using HD280's to monitor a live session) whether they were really good.

. . . "You can buy better headphones. But we need lots of them, in a studio,
. . . and we can afford the HD280's. They work fine."

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
AKG 702s are $349 at Sweetwater. Where did you see them for $100?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K702--akg-k702-open-back-studio-reference-headphones

They are also open back, not closed.

I am in Europe, so they may be less expensive. See this offer at 129 euros for new ones and there are several used ones starting at 85. I have seen already near new ones with an offer below 100 euros, which is within your budget. I did not think they would that much more expensive in the us. Usually prices are fairly equal.

https://www.amazon.fr/AKG-2458X00190-K702-Casque-Studio/dp/B001RCD2DW

Yes they are open so they dont protect whatsoever, thats the price to pay for having very light and pressure free headphones. You will have the same issue with the hd650, hd599 and hd598. AKG also has closed headphones on the same model like the K92, they cost less than 100 box on Amazon US but i never tried them, so cant say if they are good or not and how much protection they offer against external noise.

I dont have too many issues with either the Senn nor the Beyer even if they are less comfortable than the AKG. The Beyer is the one that has a little more clamping pressure than the others.

Blüthner model 6
L
OP Offline
L
I finally bought a Sennheiser HD 599 SE - you asked for the price. eventually I was able to buy new ones. never opened for $ 120. I bought them from a person, not from a store. I am very pleased the headphones are very comfortable even after a few hours of playing. I also have the AKG K240. but in my opinion they are not comfortable - I have K240 versions with hard earpieces

D
D
I’ve owned a set of Razer Carcharias for probably 13 years now (has to be somewhere around there I bought them when I worked at Best Buy during college.) They survived 6 years of heavy WoW raid use and they’re currently laying on my desk for when I host webinars for work 3 times a week. I don’t know what all the online regarding them is about.

I hear a lot of good things about the HyperX headsets but I’ve never used one. I just bought a set of Razor Blackshark V2 for $100 while looking for some good gaming Headsets. They’re… good. I like the mic as much as the Razer’s because it’s detachable and it is not fixed in place so I easily flip it up when not in use. I also easily find the faux leather cups super comfortable, just like the microfiber ones on the Razers, they are as nice as the cups on the Bose QC15s.

If it’s the wire being destroyed, maybe go for something with a replaceable line in? You can get replacement line ins for most Sennheisers (my previous set of headphones before the mic became necessary) and Bose QC15’s. There’s also a couple of mics out there that can piggy back on nicer headphones which weren’t available a few years ago.

Thinking about it, I probably have way too many headphones laying around so I really should stop buying them. I’m counting 5 working pairs of circumoral aural headsets right now plus 4 sets of earbuds.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello Devin Smith,

Inquiries for headphones happen frequently enough here that this topic is usually fresh in people’s minds. The answers to a few questions will probably help pinpoint which sector of this large market for you to focus upon: 1) what will be your primary use - digital piano or general purpose “hi-fi” music/audio/TV/entertainment listening, or sound recording/mixing EDIT- or gaming or all of these supported by one unlikely-to-find ideal-for-all use headphones?

2) open-back or closed-back?

1) - for neutral monitoring of DP playing, it is generally agreed that 80 ohm headphones is at or near the sweet spot. Models that are designed with much higher impedance - say 250 ohm or higher - often will not be properly driven by the dp’s internal headphone amplifier, which is why these models do better with the use of an external amplifier designed specifically for headphones AND often times these amps may include built-in mics. Models designed with lower impedance - like 30 Ohms - are generally used for smart phones and similar devices.

2) - open-back headphones seem to have an edge of consensus for use with dps. They generally ventilate the ear (pro) which helps for longer playing sessions BUT do not isolate (con) the user from external sound/noise compared to closed-back headphones.... happy hunting !

-drew

Last edited by drewr; 07/24/21 10:18 AM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I recommend going into an audio/stereo store such as Magnolia or whoever is open nowadays.... and listening to a variety of 'phones. Music store product is not... um... that great in my opinion. There is nothing special about "keyboard" 'phones.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07/24/21 12:12 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
@drewr, no " rabbit hole" this time? smile

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
@drewr, no " rabbit hole" this time? smile

.....um, having roughly laid out the bounds of that ... 🎧 🐇 place ... without explicitly saying so, i thought it might be best to leave it up to Devin to either willingly or accidentally fall d... er, go there, or not.....its a somewhat slow Saturday .... might liven things up a bit.
🙂

Last edited by drewr; 07/24/21 03:54 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
B
B
My other hobby is headphones....so what I've been using for piano playing generally for open back cans - Sennheiser HD650 or the Sennheiser HD58X.
For closed-back, I will use Beyer DT 177x Go. The Drop version of the 1770pro. Sometimes when my air conditioning is just too loud and I want total silence(summertime) I will use some Etyomtic ER4XRs.

But you'll find everyone has different tastes, and there is no winner. I'd say go with the EQ curve you generally like. Some folks like a VShape curve, others more neutral. When I listen to music for pleasure, I'll usually go to my Beyer DT880s as I really like that V shape curve. But for piano playing, I want some mids and that is why I generally find the Senneiser's a good fit. Drop has a sale on the HD58x now for like $129(time of this post I believe). Great deal.

W
W
I’ve got Senheiser had 300 pro- for occasional use -nothing to compare them too though as I’ve never had headphones for piano before

Last edited by Wayne2467; 07/25/21 06:47 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sennheiser open-back headphones are the best for DP-usage IMO. HD-59X, HD-6XX, you can’t go wrong with them.

I’ve tested my DT-770 Pro only once with the piano and they would certainly top my “worst headphones for DP” list. They are very good studio headphones which for some odd reason just makes them sound awful for DP piano sound.

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/25/21 08:23 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I’ve tested my DT-770 Pro only once with the piano and they would certainly top my “worst headphones for DP” list. They are very good studio headphones which for some odd reason just makes them sound awful for DP piano sound.

That is pretty curious as lots of pianists use them (myself included and also several YouTubers) and find them very good for piano and extremely comfortable.

OTOH I could not resist 15 minutes with a Sennheiser HD-599... So this proves that headphones fitting is a very personal thing!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
When speaking about comfort, the DT-line is very comfortable. However I had issues with the sound. It was unnatural, distant, sibilant and boomy all at the same time. Mine was 250 Ohm version though. Could’ve been an impedance issue. But I have no problem with the higher 300 Ohm impedance of my HD650s.

I’m not sure I’ve seen many pianists here mentioning the DT-770 but I haven’t followed all the 1 million threads about headphones for digital pianos. I may be biased but I see open headphones and Sennheiser in particular, much more recommended and praised than anything else. I think it was Peterws that didn’t like the 599 and you that I remember saying something bad.

But we have different ears after all.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Why I prefer HD600 over DT-770 it's because they make samples sound less bright while still delivering very detailed sound. It especially concerns Yamaha's and Kawai's samples.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission