2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by WilliamTruitt
As of today, over 14.5 million infections in USA and 281,000 deaths. You can argue the value of low percentages of death. What should give perspective to the numbers is the fact that Covid-19 is now the leading cause of death in America - more than cancer, heart disease, etc.

The 1918 Pandemic lasted almost 2 years and killed 650,000 people. It is expected that by the time our new president is inaugurated, there will be 400,000 dead, all within a period of about a year.

The vaccine will not do you any good if you are already dead by the time it becomes available to the general public.

All you non-mask wearers should go to a Trump rally or a White House party while you still can, they are considered super-spreader events of the first order.
This number will slash down when Biden is elected.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zonzi
As of today, over 14.5 million infections in USA and 281,000 deaths. You can argue the value of low percentages of death. What should give perspective to the numbers is the fact that Covid-19 is now the leading cause of death in America - more than cancer, heart disease, etc.

The 1918 Pandemic lasted almost 2 years and killed 650,000 people. It is expected that by the time our new president is inaugurated, there will be 400,000 dead, all within a period of about a year.

The vaccine will not do you any good if you are already dead by the time it becomes available to the general public.

All you non-mask wearers should go to a Trump rally or a White House party while you still can, they are considered super-spreader events of the first order.

I am not so sure. Biden has already said that he will ask everyone to wear a mask for 100 days. Let's say we all do, but do rather poorly with the other 3 personal mitigations - hand washing, social distancing, and avoiding crowds. There is less controversy about these other 3 because they are more proven. In fact this is the case already. Face mask compliance is going up while the other 3 are going down, correlating with increased infection incidence. If the public grasps at the facemask straw offered by Biden it might be like a drug addict trying to avoid AIDS by wearing a condom while sharing a needle.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LemonColor
On a positive note, there has been such great advancements in health care that death rates in other categories are down significantly this year. According to the CDC the yearly death rate will be on par with previous years. At least we don't have an extra 300,000 people dying this year in the USA on top of what we normally get. Not sure why people are focused on the covid, we should be celebrating the reduction in heart disease, cancer, and what not. It is a glass half full situation the way I see it.

I don't think it is a reduction in deaths from disease, but from accidents. But surely many old folks died from covid before their heart was due to naturally fail. This brings up a question about the Nanny State. If by following the covid mitigations efforts that "happily" reduces accidental deaths, shouldn't we continue to allow the Nanny State to tell us where and when to have fun so as to protect ourselves from ourselves?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Reported this morning: 1 million new infections in the first 5 days of December, California is now under heavy lockdown. Methinks some of you are arguing about arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while ignoring the fact that the ship is sinking.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Reported this morning: 1 million new infections in the first 5 days of December, California is now under heavy lockdown. Methinks some of you are arguing about arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while ignoring the fact that the ship is sinking.

I don't think that is a great analogy, but let's look at it anyway. The reason the Titanic sank and so many died is because they pridefully fooled themselves into thinking it couldn't sink. Since then ship construction, safety, and communications were upgraded. (I ought to know being a former Ship's Captain.)

So California is in a heavy lockdown due to an expected lack of ICU beds. The analogy in this case is the ship of the CA health system is sinking. But WHY is it sinking and is there something to be learned so the other ships don't sink?

I think so, but what that is will be debated. CA had heavy mitigation efforts early on. They did not experience the surges other States did. Now they are experiencing a huge one. Is it because they were trying to "hold back the tides" (health, social, and economic) and it is now crashing over their dike system? I think so. I liken it to what has happened in CA and other Western States with the wildfires. ALL fires were seen as a bad thing and living in isolated, remote regions a good thing. The result was uncontrollable wildfires that overwhelmed the resources and wiped out some isolated towns.

To complete the analogy I think CA showed foolish pride in thinking that they could prevent a covid outbreak at all, and tried to do so at all costs. Rather than the original, sensible approach of "Flattening the Curve" to keep the health system functioning while trying to reduce the amount of social and economic hardship, CA went "all in".

Now saying "Everything would have been fine if you idiots would have just done what you were told!" is just blaming the victims. Even if it was true, (and I am a YUGE skeptic) the society that was expected to do such things is not the society that actually existed.

I am going to stay away from the term "Herd Immunity" because it surely means different things to different people - especially the health professionals. Instead I will use the term "Herd Resilience." The fewer people in a population that get a problematic covid infection (for whatever reason) the more resilient the herd is. It has been argued that trying to let covid run wild to make the herd more resilient is foolhardy. I think what is happening in CA shows that trying to eliminate all covid infections and any cost is also foolhardy, at least in the USA. Other countries may be different as the cost is not as high. This is a county of great social unrest. Some things just have to run their course. You can't hold back the tide forever.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
L
L
This is what heavy lockdown looks like in CA. The link shows how a small business owner's outdoor dining area of a few table 7' apart is too dangerous, but the movie company's commissary of a dozen tents is perfectly safe. Yep, they are in the same parking lot. The movie industry is exempt because they have to keep you entertained.

I tune and repair pianos. Let's have fun!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A contestant was recently booted from "the voice" for violating protocols. What is going on currently for filming is that they create a bubble of people that are then allowed to work and eat together. They aren't allowed any outside contact, or it breaks the bubble. No one goes home or meets anyone outside of the bubble. Strict quarantine before filming begins to assure everyone is negative.

Moral of the story? Headlines make money, but don't often give accurate information about the story.

Let see, what other good news about this?

Most techs have a bit more shop time to work on skills or clean up and organize. Also, since many are tuning less, they can actually take a bit more time at each tuning to try new techniques, or attempt to end up with just a little bit better job than when the schedule is packed!

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

L
L
I have no idea what happens on the voice, or the TV in general. I tried to search the CA government websites. I can't find the executive order that mandates these bubbles and disallowing all outside contact with strict quarantines. Did you hear that on the TV, or do you have a governmental source? If what you are saying is true, it would be documented by either law or executive order. I'm having a hard time finding anything.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I have no idea what happens on the voice, or the TV in general. I tried to search the CA government websites. I can't find the executive order that mandates these bubbles and disallowing all outside contact with strict quarantines. Did you hear that on the TV, or do you have a governmental source? If what you are saying is true, it would be documented by either law or executive order. I'm having a hard time finding anything.

It was on the major national networks yesterday. Starts at 11:59 pm today

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-idUKKBN28F0WC

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...G20zRY3IHGLQx3kFc3eo1bt7BW41mjiPIa-1KsI8

L
L
Thank for the links dogperson, but that is about the lockdowns. I was talking about the film industry having some sort of exemption. The lady in the video was upset because the rules didn't seem to apply to the film industry in the same parking lot. Why is it not safe for her, but it is safe for them. She was shut down, but they weren't. Then Ron stated it was because they were forced to use some kind of strict protocols where they were isolated in a bubble with no outside contact. I'd like to read the executive order that approved those protocols and know exactly what they entail. Why do they get to operate and that poor lady has to shut down her business. He implied that she was trying to make money off of a headline without giving accurate information. Where is the accurate information about the bubbles and quarantine?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

L
L
I don't see the information in the first link. The second link is a missing file. Thanks, though.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't see the information in the first link. The second link is a missing file. Thanks, though.

I think you are getting a few things mixed up "The Voice" is a TV contestant show. I guess they have contractual rules (not government mandates) the contestant must follow in order to continue to be eligible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voice_(American_TV_series)

I have no idea if they need or have a waiver from the CA government in order to continue production of the show.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

I can open both
The first link: scroll down to ‘industry guidance’. Merely tells you entertainment production is regulated at the county level

The second is appendix j for Los Angeles county refs. If you can view the file, you can use google to search for ‘LA county Covid reg appendix j’

L
L
I get it now. Something happened on TV and that made headlines.

I was talking about something in real life.
https://streamable.com/q5tc7f

In the same parking lot a small business owner in CA was forced to shut down her tent, but a film company was granted a permit to put up a dozen tents for people to eat under. It was the same place, and the same conditions. Just different people. Some people are more important that others.

L
L
Thank you so much, I just searched 'LA county Covid reg appendix j' and read the document. Those rules are detailed, but nothing that is isolating from the general public or creating bubbles. I did not read in there that they are doing anything different from that small business lady. She has her tent setup in the same way and following the same kind of rules.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

In the same parking lot a small business owner in CA was forced to shut down her tent, but a film company was granted a permit to put up a dozen tents for people to eat under. It was the same place, and the same conditions. Just different people. Some people are more important that others.

Some industries have different regulations

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Originally Posted by zonzi

I am not so sure. Biden has already said that he will ask everyone to wear a mask for 100 days. Let's say we all do, but do rather poorly with the other 3 personal mitigations - hand washing, social distancing, and avoiding crowds. There is less controversy about these other 3 because they are more proven. In fact this is the case already. Face mask compliance is going up while the other 3 are going down, correlating with increased infection incidence. If the public grasps at the facemask straw offered by Biden it might be like a drug addict trying to avoid AIDS by wearing a condom while sharing a needle.
I mean he will have some ways to control the data (especially dearth data) and media, not necessarily related too much to the pandemic control. This is exactly what China is doing, at least everybody will feel much more comfortable.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Since when is life supposed to be fair anyway? Maybe we can try for it, but it has never been fair for everyone. A fact of life.

Encouraging to me is that the world has been forced into low gear for a time after racing at break neck speed for decades.

Never let a good crisis go to waste. For some at least it has forced us to reflect on what is really important and there is more to it than just our cherished freedom.

More people are taking up piano now and eventually things will recover. Meanwhile invest in physical Gold and Silver.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Yea, this is big news where I'm at in LA county. Many angry people.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission