2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3052983 12/04/20 08:11 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I live in East San Diego County, and due to high Santa Ana wind conditions, SDG&E decided to cutoff our electricity from Wednesday evening until Friday noon.

I have a small gas generator that I use to power the fridge (and not lose food in the freezer) and keep the satellite TV going, but it's not big enough to power the whole house. Yes, I could have just played our Baldwin acoustic...but hey, might as well see how the Casio does on batteries.

I got about an hour (at high volume) out of a set of rechargeable Eneloops, and about 45 minutes from 6 standard Kirkland AA's. Just enough to keep the fingers limber during the shutdown.
Surprisingly easy to get to the batteries and swap them out; one thing nice about a 25 lb. keyboard.

Still no complaints about my much-maligned Casio PX-S3000

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
That's a great option to have in those circumstances!

But I thought rechargable batteries where officially a no-go because of a lower voltage or something like that. I believe you can actually lose your warranty if you use them. (or admit that you used them if the dp fails.) But it seems in the real world it just works fine, well at least for you that seems to be the case!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I took a look at the owner's manual, no warning not to use them. Probably won't have to run on batteries again unless our unfriendly local utility company decides to cut off power to 88,000 people again.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Glad to hear you made it OK, trooplew. I live further west and only had power out for about 18 hours. Still, you know how human nature is. I sat down at my acoustic piano and couldn't stop thinking about really wanting to play my synth at the other end of the room.

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have Casio PX5S and it runs fine on the rechargeable (Amazon Basics). Rav Power PB14 gives about 8 hours; your 3000 should do this as well. I returned my 3000 due to short fulcrum, be bop playing style, long fingers, and the resultant fatigue. My PX5S doesn't have that issue and is great to play on.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
R
R
Originally Posted by U3piano
But I thought rechargable batteries where officially a no-go because of a lower voltage or something like that. I believe you can actually lose your warranty if you use them. (or admit that you used them if the dp fails.) But it seems in the real world it just works fine, well at least for you that seems to be the case!

How could lower Voltage do any damage?

Compared to disposables, Eneloops are rated slightly lower voltage but deliver more power due to lower inner resistance.
I use dozens of them since they came up for small flashes which are really demanding. They recharge (the flash) even faster than disposables.

Eneloops are quite another thing than that classic nc rechargable rubbish. You will need no more disposables for any application.
But use a proper charger.

-Rhodes74

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Well yeah, I had a feeling all would be fine with rechargable batteries, but I read a whole thread about it somewhere and people strongly advised against it.

I think disposables also kind of defeat the purpose of a highly portable dp for alot of people. Which busker would want to have to spend money on new batteries all the time?

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Disposable batteries may have a higher initial voltage, but it slowly goes down when you drain them.

Rechargable batteries may start with a lower initial voltage but maintain it at a somewhat steady level until they suddenly die. I guess this is typical to NiMH at least.

As a hypothetical example a device might officially want a 1.5V battery, but actually need only 1.0V to work, so a rechargable battery with an actual voltage of e.g. 1.2V is just fine. As is a somewhat worn out disposable one as it reaches 1.2V.

If the electronics designers at Casio are competent, they have protected the electronics from low voltage by simply switching everything off at a level that's still safe.

Some sort of memory could corrupt in a low voltage induced "brownout". (That's what they call it in the business. I don't know if it's 💩 inspired. 😄)

(I'm not an electronics expert.)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When battery voltage gets low enough the device simply doesn't work. No damage.

Regardless of the battery type, and regardless of its initial voltage ... the voltage will drop with use.
So what? That's been happening with every battery-operated device for the past century.
No worries.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Note that this applies only to batteries, not to AC power. One of the worst things you can do to any electronic device (and stuff like refrigerators as well) is to under-power them.

To the best of my knowledge, brownout is based on blackout. If it's a blackout, the power's off completely. A brownout has the power still being fed at a lower than normal level.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission