2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 240 of 302 1 2 238 239 240 241 242 301 302
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by timitalia
And I also found your consideration interesting
Originally Posted by Seif Maher
- If you get an 80 ohm and it sounds too loud, you can turn the volume down using the NV10’s volume knob. Theoretically this will produce a cleaner signal since you are not pushing the amp to its limits.

The NV-10 also has a digital headphone volume "switch." I can't recall if it goes between "low" and normal or "high" and normal, but I suspect it's a way to boost or attenuate just the headphone volume so that it can be more in line with how the master volume knob is set (e.g., so you don't pull out the headphone cable and suddenly blow out the speakers at 200db.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Remind me not to come over to your place ...
Originally Posted by Gombessa
... blow out the speakers at 200db.
At my age I couldn't survive a 200 dB blast! smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Seif Maher and MacMacMac, you are absolutely right... one simply has to try them out.

And I also found your consideration interesting
Originally Posted by Seif Maher
- If you get an 80 ohm and it sounds too loud, you can turn the volume down using the NV10’s volume knob. Theoretically this will produce a cleaner signal since you are not pushing the amp to its limits.

I finally decided to order the following three models with different impedances to test once the NV10 has arrived:

- Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition - 32 Ohm
- Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition - 250 Ohm
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 Ohm (By the way, this model was recommended to me in a mail from the Digital Product Manager of Kawai America)

I will gladly share my (subjective) impressions and decision here, but that will only happen in December when the piano will be delivered.
It will be interesting to see what your impressions will be, I too am interested in the 880, 32 ohm. I can recommend one another Beyer model to try out, the DT250. It's a closed design with a more neutral sound signature than the DT770- Very good for piano.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by mwf
Can any owners of NV10 tell me what garritan cfx sounds like through the NV10 speakers? Any issues at all? On my ca99 it actually distorts through the speakers if played too loud the garritan cfx... But the sound is pretty good overall through ca99 speaker system.

I only tried it for a little while when I first got the NV-10, but it sounds amazing through the NV-10. My MBP had a ground loop issue so I never kept it hooked up to the speakers; however its character really carried over with the NV-10's speakers, rich, full-bodied, and resonant.

The Garritan CFX has a bit of a "noise floor" so if you turn it up, you'll hear a bit more hiss when notes are sounding than you will with the built-in sounds, which are crystalline in comparison, but I've never heard any distortion at volume.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
S
S
So finally I have overcome my buyers remorse and orderd my Novus 10, puh! With good luck it will be delivered before Xmas.

Ordered mine last month in UK and have been told delivery has been pushed back to February 2021 due to various wuflu lockdowns.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I only tried it for a little while when I first got the NV-10, but it sounds amazing through the NV-10. My MBP had a ground loop issue so I never kept it hooked up to the speakers; however its character really carried over with the NV-10's speakers, rich, full-bodied, and resonant.

I have a USB audio interface that's semi-permanently affixed to the Novus. 5-PIN MIDI cables go from the Novus to the audio interface and the audio output of the USB audio interface goes back to the Novus.

For the sake of science, I plugged in my MBP to power and hooked it up to the audio interface. Happy to say that the sound is glorious and there is absolutely no ground loop with this setup.

Previously, I had resorted to using a MIDI to USB cable, though I avoided plugging in the MBP to power. That worked much better than straight USB to USB which could exhibit terrible ground loop issues.

S
S
Originally Posted by navindra

I have a USB audio interface that's semi-permanently affixed to the Novus. 5-PIN MIDI cables go from the Novus to the audio interface and the audio output of the USB audio interface goes back to the Novus.

For the sake of science, I plugged in my MBP to power and hooked it up to the audio interface. Happy to say that the sound is glorious and there is absolutely no ground loop with this setup.

Previously, I had resorted to using a MIDI to USB cable, though I avoided plugging in the MBP to power. That worked much better than straight USB to USB which could exhibit terrible ground loop issues.

This is great news Navindra. My USB interface does have midi-ports. I will try this.
I tried the iFi filter, and it does a poor job.

Thanks,

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
+1, thanks Navindra. If I go the route of setting up a PC/mixer to the NV-10 again, I think I'd do something similar, it'd be nice to get rid of the MBP's ground loop. I also want to be able to mix a headset/mic signal in with the DP's output for more clear Zoom lessons.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I velcroed mine underneath the Novus to the right side of the steel crossbar:

[Linked Image]

It's well-tucked away there and I don't see it most of the time... otherwise I would have been more tempted to Sharpie the blue sides black. laugh

It's connected to and powered by the Raspberry Pi 400 in the shot.

S
S
Originally Posted by navindra
I velcroed mine underneath the Novus to the right side of the steel crossbar:

[Linked Image]

It's well-tucked away there and I don't see it most of the time... otherwise I would have been more tempted to Sharpie the blue sides black. laugh

It's connected to and powered by the Raspberry Pi 400 in the shot.

Another GREAT idea.

Thanks Navindra

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

After finally solving the noise from the pedal box, thanks to the Kawai tech, I am getting this now. Can one of you guys recommend a fine teflon, and must I remove the front panel and apply it inside? If so, is there only the two screws I see in the top RH and LH sides of that small panel?

Kawai NV10
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sounds like the rod squeaks inside of the felt bushings, right?

First, try rotating the rod a bit. If that doesn't help:

If it is at the top, try pushing the rod back a bit, so that it doesn't touch the front. If that doesn't help, or if it returns, or if it is at the bottom:

Try applying a bit of graphite dust. Scrape if off of a pencil or use a sharp knive to expose a bit of the "lead" from a wooden pencil and use that directly as an "applicator".
Like this:
Normal pencil: =====>
Whittled down pencil with "lead" exposed: ===>--

Might require a few repeat applications, if it starts again after a while.

Worked for me smile

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Jobert. I can't turn the rod at all. I know I used to? But the effort seems to have helped. I have been using the pencil lead since I got the piano on the bottom of the rod. I tried it twice on the top and didn't get a good result.

Tom

Kawai NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Hey Tom,

+1 to everything JoBert says, as usual!

The damper pedal rod does spin freely. It's not threaded or bolted into anything. Chances are if yours is not spinning, it's just pressed strongly against the leather pad/cap that it rests against (the tan colored disc labeled #3 here):
[Linked Image]

You should be able to just firmly grasp and turn the rod to get it moving.

I recall that I set up my pedal rod a couple of mm "off center" on the pad, so that I could minimize the rubbing of the rod against the felt liner; along with lubricating using powered graphite, that helped eliminate squeaks coming from the rod.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OK, Now I understand. The reason, perhaps, that mine will not rotate freely, is because the tech placed a piece of hard (not wood) material he cut to size under the pedal box. We removed the stabilizing screw on the bottom of the pedal box and placed the board instead. That is what finally stopped the creaking from the bottom. And may be pushing the rod up causing it to rub on something. I tried turning it with pliers (wrapped in a towel) but still couldn't turn it. I pushed hard on the top and it stopped for a minute and started back. Same result when pulling on it. Then I had an epiphany. Looking at Gom's picture I decided to pull it to the right. And that worked. It moved, I even heard it move inside. Great help, you guys. Thanks. Tom

Kawai NV10

This will fix it. The universal remedy for squeaks ...

[Linked Image]

This reminds me of an underrated comment from a thread yesterday:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by OU812
No lube in a bit of a shame

Well, you can't expect too much at this price level. wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
G
Hi all. This is my first post here after reading through just under half of this massive thread over the past few days.

I’ve ordered an NV10 with delivery not expected until (hopefully) mid January ‘21 due to the short supply and long waiting lists for this instrument. My choice was between the N1X and the NV10 and when trying both these DP’s the NV10 conjured up (for me) a much more complete and three dimensional sonic picture.

I didn’t check the demo model for speaker noise and am now quite concerned about the not insignificant number of users who have hiss or noise on the internal speakers. As a former recording engineer, this would drive me completely mad. Can I ask if this problem has been solved yet?

Thanks so much for any help

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I didn’t notice it on the early-production unit I got to test in a completely silent room. (and I’m fairly sensitive to that, as my desktop studio monitors at idle are fairly annoying this way until they’re playing music.)

Granted I was seated at a piano bench, a normal distance away, and not seeking it out by cranking up the gain and putting my ears right against the grilles...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Kawai James may have a better answer but I remember it was fixed in a software update.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Page 240 of 302 1 2 238 239 240 241 242 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission