2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
25 members (ando, DPPianoPhil, Emery Wang, ElaineAllegro, Emily2Lame, CyberGene, accordeur, 6 invisible), 407 guests, and 606 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Osho
Originally Posted by U3piano
my pc has a hard enough time to handle just one mic position.
I am curious how well are you able to do with 2 mics? Does it feel playable with 2 mics?

Thanks,
Osho

Well yes, it feels fine (even with all mic positions) but that's until i play too much notes with the sustain pedal down, then it's game over. (Cracking all over)

Even with just one mic position it happens sporadically.

Other than that i find the playability to be quite good, but with room for improvement. While very far from bad, it's not pianoteq level playability. (and probably vsl, but i don't have experience with their libaries.)

P
P
I love the sound of Embertone.
Playability wise, I could make it responsive under my fingers, no cracks from software. But I have a big problem : the dynamic is really off, very small difference between mp and mf (I don't even dream of ppp to fff). The difference in volume is very poor, and in tone also. So it is not really playable.
I tried all I could in the response tab but no real success. I use a VPC1 keyboard, it should not be the problem.
The best VST I found are the VSL D274 and VSL CFX, same feeling under my fingers as pianoteq, but with a better sound.
Too bad, I do love the sound oh Embertone.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is that you, uncle Phil44? I must’ve been no more than Pete10, last I saw you.

I heard Pam38 gots the virus, but good ol’ Frank74 is still going strong (virus free).

Sadly, Tom88 has left us. Remember how he used to take care of us? What a guy, Tom88!

P
P
Sorry Pete, I'm afraid it's not me, Phil is for Philippe and 44 is the beginning of my "postcode" (zip ?).
But one thing is true for everybody : take care.

T
T
I wouldn’t buy a new one, at the price they still sell for. As has been said, ultimately, it is 14 year old technology.

However, I did buy a second hand one for £700 (UK) about three years ago. The first thing that struck me was that the built in speakers, though louder than any other stage piano I have played, still weren’t enough for most of what I do. Therefore, it just seemed an excessively heavy piano.

Nice, bright percussive piano tones, if you like that kind of thing and the classic GH keyboard.

Things I liked
- Internal power supply
- XLR outs
- 4 zones (so many others just have three)

Ultimately, I sold it on. I now play a Kurzweil PC3x and a Nord Stage 2 ex hp76.

B
B
I don't have the playability issues others have mentioned despite having a less than ace PC - possibly because I've just got the lite version with 12 layers running at 44100. I also don't have half pedaling and I've turned off all the sweetening stuff so it's not going to be very demanding on the processor. It's a pretty basic set-up, but it plays well enough for my needs.

But there is an annoying problem I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere that's bugging me. I would be curious if anyone else has this issue or whether it's just on the lite version.

The problem is that the volume in the last octave and a half drops when the sustain pedal is pressed. It's very noticeable on the top E. My other VSTs don't behave this way and as far as I know there's no dampeners on those notes on Steinways so there should be no change in the notes anyway. Hadn't noticed it until recently as I'm rarely up there.

Embertone have acknowledged the problem and said they will address it in a later update but haven't said when that will be as they are a small team and busy with other projects and recently released an update.

There seem to be a number of issues with this VST and that's not a huge deal as there are often bugs in new releases. What is a deal for me is what appears to be a lack of interest fixing the bugs in a timely fashion. It took ages for the first update and that didn't address all the complaints. How long are do we expect to have to wait for the next one?

I'm disappointed Embertone have not sprung into action to correct an error they acknowledge. People have parted with their money in good faith and I think it's incumbent on the developers to fix faults as soon as they can.

I have a feeling that this is now an abandoned project and this upper octaves bug added to a couple of other slight problems is leading me to have second thoughts about upgrading.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Hi
Originally Posted by Phil44
the dynamic is really off, very small difference between mp and mf (I don't even dream of ppp to fff). The difference in volume is very poor, and in tone also. So it is not really playable.
I tried all I could in the response tab but no real success. I use a VPC1 keyboard, it should not be the problem

That is strange, I experience no such things, I actually don't even have the velocity/volume graphic set to maximum volume difference, because it doesn't seem realistic to me when it's too easy to play extremely softly.

As for the difference in tone, i'd say there's actually quite a lot difference in tone going from the lowest to the highest velocities, so I find this quite suprising to read about the walker.

B
B
I have a big problem : the dynamic is really off, very small difference between mp and mf (I don't even dream of ppp to fff). The difference in volume is very poor, and in tone also. So it is not really playable.

Does the keyboard have different velocity settings? If it does, try playing around with those.

P
P
I may be spoiled with the VSL D274 and CFX which are both very responsive, the closest to a real piano.
After messing around with the velocity curve of my keyboard, and with the dynamic and volume curves of the I'm able to play from ppp (yes, may be too easily) to f with the Embertone while I play from ppp to fff with the VSL.
I will continue trying all combinations with the curves.
Apart from that, it is very playable (I have a good computer, it may help).

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I may be spoiled with the VSL D274 and CFX which are both very responsive

Yes I think that might just be the case. I have no experience with vsl libraries myself, but have read so much good things about it's playability that I find it believable it is just better in that aspect than the Embertone walker. I guess i'm happy not to be spoiled then! smile

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by U3piano
I may be spoiled with the VSL D274 and CFX which are both very responsive

Yes I think that might just be the case. I have no experience with vsl libraries myself, but have read so much good things about it's playability that I find it believable it is just better in that aspect than the Embertone walker. I guess i'm happy not to be spoiled then! smile

I would highly recommend you get spoiled!

After using VSL Concert D-274, I don't play any other VSTs except for VSL Concert D-274 and Pianoteq. And, sometimes Garritan CFX - just for a change - which is highly playable as well. But overall, VSL Concert D-274 and Pianoteq are the best in playability among all the VSTs that I have tried.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Osho
I would highly recommend you get spoiled!

Well, sure I would love to own some of their libaries, but their pricing/dongle/policy have always managed to hold me back, with the pricing being the least of my concerns, if the libaries are really that good they are worth it.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I’ve also been held back by their dongles!

W
W
Until today I have not managed to get the Walker Concert D to work as expected. Although the single tone is beautiful, it is just not playable for me. I've tried all the settings, but I can't achieve a reasonable dynamic range. I also get a lot of cracks, even though I use an I7 processor, 16 GB RAM and an external Focusrite soundcard.
I never had this kind of problems with the Ravenscroft that I own as well.

Therefore I intend to sell my license. I've already contacted Embertone because I don't know yet what to do resp. how to transfer the license. If someone is interested, please send me a personal message.
The price would be 99$ for the full version with all mics included (PayPal)

Wolfram

K
K
I love the sound of Embertone.
Playability wise, I could make it responsive under my fingers, no cracks from software. But I have a big problem : the dynamic is really off, very small difference between mp and mf (I don't even dream of ppp to fff). The difference in volume is very poor, and in tone also. So it is not really playable.
I tried all I could in the response tab but no real success. I use a VPC1 keyboard, it should not be the problem.
The best VST I found are the VSL D274 and VSL CFX, same feeling under my fingers as pianoteq, but with a better sound.
Too bad, I do love the sound oh Embertone.

That's more or less my experience as well
This is the best sounding Steinway D and most unplayable Steinway D at the same time.
I tried many different velocity responses and volume scaling. Its impossible to dial it in.
When you manage to get some kind of dynamics in the lower velocities, then there is almost no difference between the high and mid velocities.
And if you manage to get dynamics in mid and high velocities, you can't play softly any more.
And the tone of the mid velocities is always sounding as if you are hitting the keys hard.
One big problem is that you cant draw the velocity curve yourself. Most of the time I bump the very low velocities up and then almost flat after that.
But I think even if I could do that, there is still an issue with the velocities other than the curve.

Last edited by karoloydi; 09/06/20 03:24 PM.
G
G
Hey guys, I wanted to ask something. I need to clear some HDD space and want to remove half of the mic samples and keep the normal, room and close mics.
what file names in the sample folders correspond to what mics?
I think AKG is main mics and U87 is Close from what I can tell. But what is Room? On the site it says Schoeps CMC6. Is that "SHP"?

A
A
I'll let you know at evening since I did exactly the same thing a month ago and have backup on external drive.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
A
A
U87 - Close
AKG - Main Mic
SLX - Hammer
BRC - Binaural
OKT - Wide
SHP - Room

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
G
G
Thank you very much for taking the time to look it up and post it here, much appreciated! My HDD says thank you too, it can finally breathe again. Thanks!

M
M
The Embertone web site says the Walker requires macOS 10.10, 10.11, or 10.12. Has anybody used the Walker with macOS 10.13 (or newer)?

Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The real pop book v3?
by Sebs - 05/05/21 10:35 PM
1997 Young Chang G Model
by texasheat - 05/05/21 10:10 PM
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,738
Posts3,090,209
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission