2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (BlakeOR, accordeur, 8ude, adoser, c++, astrotoy, David B, 36251, 5 invisible), 442 guests, and 562 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
I noticed the picture below in the linked article about performance ratings. Like most of you, I tend to notice pianos, but curious why one is used to illustrate this piece! It doesn't mention pianos anywhere. Any thoughts?

Why More Firms Are Ditching Performance Ratings

[Linked Image]

Baldwin M
“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think somebody misread "Performance Ratings" as "Performance Artist". Maybe bad handwriting?

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
Performing some kind of air?

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MRC
I think somebody misread "Performance Ratings" as "Performance Artist". Maybe bad handwriting?

Yeah! I wondered if that’s even a real person, or perhaps an installation of some sort.

Baldwin M
― Duke Ellington
!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trooplewis

Haha! Good one (pun intended, I assume). thumb

Baldwin M
― Duke Ellington
!
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I noticed the picture below in the linked article about performance ratings. Like most of you, I tend to notice pianos, but curious why one is used to illustrate this piece! It doesn't mention pianos anywhere. Any thoughts?

[Linked Image]

What the picture is trying to explain that using performance ratings as a standard measurement it pushes employees to one up each other’s accomplishments to the point they now make the performer to play on an ever changing high wire. At least that’s my take.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Before I retired staff and management had to fill out these horrible Performance Management forum where I had to list by order of corporate importance my current projects and goals backed by metrics. It took 8 months of progress reports to keep my accomplishments appropriately aligned with my boss’s boss’s Performance Management Goals. Overall it was a miserable pain and mostly a waste of time for all the real performance improvement it brought. I nick named it Reindeer Games because we switched employees to an annual performance calendar so would end up doing our final PMF and the employee rankings and ratings came right around Christmas. Performance Ratings and Audits were always fun.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Interesting, Ret!

Reminds me of something I heard a salesperson say during a sales presentation many years ago. He said if you want your product to get noticed, you need a Purple Cow...

The Purple Cow represents something different from all your competitors, and makes prospects look at your products first, because the others don't have a Purple Cow. smile

I thought the sales presentation was, well, a sales presentation by a seasoned salesperson, talking about a Purple Cow; I'm still not sure if the guy was speaking literally or metaphorically, or a combination of the two.

So, I guess a pianist playing a grand piano suspended in mid air, by cables, is the presenter's "Purple Cow" approach. smile

Quite frankly, I like the illustration of the pianist playing a grand piano, while suspended in mid-air, better than the Purple Cow idea.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
M
Originally Posted by Rickster
I thought the sales presentation was, well, a sales presentation by a seasoned salesperson, talking about a Purple Cow; I'm still not sure if the guy was speaking literally or metaphorically, or a combination of the two.

Well, there is a purple cow in advertising, just in case you do not know. (I am not sure how well known this chocolate is outside of Europe, so hopefully, I am not stating the obvious...)

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The purple cow advertisement and the company that uses it is new to me. Thank you Mickey. I guess I now know what Rick’s sales guy was talking about. Also my fear of heights and general nervousness playing piano for an audience when both I and the piano are on solid ground, brings home the point in the picture Ret posted. A picture’s worth a thousand words. Thanks. This thread is fun. smile

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F

or swing?

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

[Linked Image]

What the picture is trying to explain that using performance ratings as a standard measurement it pushes employees to one up each other’s accomplishments to the point they now make the performer to play on an ever changing high wire. At least that’s my take.

Interesting observation. thumb
It tends to be true that whatever metrics are put in place, people will try to figure out how to game them.

Baldwin M
― Duke Ellington
!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Before I retired staff and management had to fill out these horrible Performance Management forum where I had to list by order of corporate importance my current projects and goals backed by metrics. It took 8 months of progress reports to keep my accomplishments appropriately aligned with my boss’s boss’s Performance Management Goals. Overall it was a miserable pain and mostly a waste of time for all the real performance improvement it brought. I nick named it Reindeer Games because we switched employees to an annual performance calendar so would end up doing our final PMF and the employee rankings and ratings came right around Christmas. Performance Ratings and Audits were always fun.

Mrs. Retsacnal spent most of her career at the World Bank. They had a Herculean annual review process. It wasted tons of time, and was mostly baloney.

I never had a receive-a-paycheck sort of job after 1996. As a consultant, my review was whether they wanted my continued service. Fortunately, they usually did.

I'm semi-retired now. Teach part-time. Each class has a review in the form of student evaluations, which can be interesting.

Baldwin M
― Duke Ellington
!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Reminds me of something I heard a salesperson say during a sales presentation many years ago. He said if you want your product to get noticed, you need a Purple Cow...

The Purple Cow represents something different from all your competitors, and makes prospects look at your products first, because the others don't have a Purple Cow. smile

So, I guess a pianist playing a grand piano suspended in mid air, by cables, is the presenter's "Purple Cow" approach. smile

Quite frankly, I like the illustration of the pianist playing a grand piano, while suspended in mid-air, better than the Purple Cow idea.

Rick

Interesting. So their gimmick was "you gotta have a gimmick!"
Or, put differently, their purple cow was the purple cow. wink

Baldwin M
― Duke Ellington
!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mickey_

Well, there is a purple cow in advertising, just in case you do not know. (I am not sure how well known this chocolate is outside of Europe, so hopefully, I am not stating the obvious...)

[Linked Image] Cool! My brother loved Milka when we were kids in Germany!

But I never knew that the name was a portmanteau of the product’s two main ingredients: “MILch (milk) and KAkao (cocoa or chocolate).” (basically, "Milk Chocolate")

I also didn't know that it had originated in Neuchâtel, which is where I lived in Switzerland!

Man, the stuff you learn on PianoWorld! wink

Baldwin M
― Duke Ellington
!
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Talk about learning off the wall facts from PW. I had always thought the "Purple Cow" was written by Ogden Nash. But when I checked up on it, it turns out it was written by a Gelett Burgess in 1895.

Nevertheless, as he said:

"I'd rather see than be one."

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The real pop book v3?
by Sebs - 05/05/21 10:35 PM
1997 Young Chang G Model
by texasheat - 05/05/21 10:10 PM
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,737
Posts3,090,178
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission