2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (bkem101, cygnusdei, clothearednincompo, chopin_r_us, brennbaer, almo82, Animisha, dddaaannn, cmoody31, 13 invisible), 968 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 80 of 162 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 161 162
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 298
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 298
Sorry I ment 1.06 and 1.08. Are these the latest firmware versions? Still? Since April?

Faulty app not yet patched either?

Just wanted to make sure. As I learned from the past - as soon as new models arrive there will be no patching anymore...

Thx

Galuwen

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 298
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 298
Maybe I can help: But please explain to me how you operate the device w/o touch screen and app?

Or better to ask what the faults are?

Galuwen

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 267
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by bill_k34
Had a CA99 for six weeks.

Touchscreen doesn't work, still waiting for a repair.

In the meantime, settings changes are painful at best as PianoRemote doesn't display correctly on my phone. Even when I can get to the settings, the piano device restarts with defaults each time. No recording functionality at the moment either - one of the reasons I bought the stupid thing.

Nice touch, nice sound, shame about the QC - surely there was a 'check the touchscreen' on the factory's list...

Disillusioned with Kawai and with digitals - can't wait for the day when I live somewhere I can have a real piano frown
Nice touch is the most important. Nice sound is a bonus. You can use external sounds too. And the recording functionality - you can record audio and/or midi with a DAW, as any serious recording is done anyway.
Restarting with defaults - keep your CA99 always on. If you can make it stay always on. I hope you can.
PianoRemote not displaying correctly is probably not related to the problems with your touchscreen panel, so you could try another phone or tablet.
Eventually they will fix or replace your touchscreen. It is a completely separate module, so no worries.

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 590
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 590
Hey guys!
It is finally home!
[Linked Image]



Since the CA79 has been out for some time now can some of you share your sound tweaks? I would love to try what you guys have done to the stock sounds. smile

Thanks!


Kawai CA79 Rosewood
*Young Chang Y185 6'-1" (gone)
*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)
*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 590
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 590
Final look. Not sure why I cannot edit or delete previous posts...
[Linked Image]
Why is the power cord NOT L-Shaped like the pedal one. I am annal and it bugs me to see the cord so I may try to find an L-Shaped replacement cord for it.


Anyways still would like to see some of your custom tweaks for pianos smile
Thanks!


Kawai CA79 Rosewood
*Young Chang Y185 6'-1" (gone)
*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)
*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 9
D
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
D
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Nickram
Originally Posted by Drthotho
Just bought the CA99 in Satin white. Will arrive before Xmas. I am so excited. I have no idea how to play the piano and will be starting from scratch. Thanks in advance for all the help and advice.

Good luck on your piano journey, remember to enjoy the journey and not worry to much about arriving at your destination ( goal )
I have no goal other than to take my mind off things. I work in finance and am not able to turn my brain off after work. Always calculating. Just want a new hobby other than golf. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to the journey.

Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 21
A
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
A
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by LGabrielPhoto
Final look. Not sure why I cannot edit or delete previous posts...

Why is the power cord NOT L-Shaped like the pedal one. I am annal and it bugs me to see the cord so I may try to find an L-Shaped replacement cord for it.


Anyways still would like to see some of your custom tweaks for pianos smile
Thanks!

I know! I hate that too! Always afraid that someone might bump into it / push it and destroy the power cord

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 130
R
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by LGabrielPhoto
Hey guys!
It is finally home!
Thanks!

Beautiful! Did you assemble it yourself? We will probably assemble ours when it arrives in a few weeks. It sounds simple, just a few bolts. I'm more concerned about my wife and I being able to carry that box from our minivan into the house. Are there hand-hold holes on the sides?

There is a review of the CA79 on YouTube by Stu Harrison of Merriam Music. He says that he didn't love the sound until he tweaked the voicing, touch curve and lid opening. Although many people have asked, last I looked he never did give specific details.


Kawai CA79 (Nov 2020), Kawai ES920 (Aug 2021), Roland ep7-ii (1993)
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 590
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 590
Originally Posted by RickM
Originally Posted by LGabrielPhoto
Hey guys!
It is finally home!
Thanks!

Beautiful! Did you assemble it yourself? We will probably assemble ours when it arrives in a few weeks. It sounds simple, just a few bolts. I'm more concerned about my wife and I being able to carry that box from our minivan into the house. Are there hand-hold holes on the sides?

There is a review of the CA79 on YouTube by Stu Harrison of Merriam Music. He says that he didn't love the sound until he tweaked the voicing, touch curve and lid opening. Although many people have asked, last I looked he never did give specific details.

Why thank you!
Assembly is pretty easy but carrying it, that's another story.
My wife it's light weight so it was s bit too heavy for her to move it from the garage to our living room. I didn't want to risk her back so I got a neighbor to help me after I setup the stand.
I was about to email Stu since he never replied in the video but I figured our own pretences, home acoustics, etc will be a big variable. Plus he prefers the ca99 sound while I don't.


Kawai CA79 Rosewood
*Young Chang Y185 6'-1" (gone)
*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)
*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 267
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by LGabrielPhoto
Final look
So you may put CA79 so close to the wall?
CA99 (because of its soundboard?) needs a gap between the wall and CA99 at least 30 cm to sound good. Or so I read.
Currently I have about 20 cm and the sound is not much different from 30 cm, but I haven't tried 40-50 cm yet...
BTW, when you say you prefer CA79 sound to CA99's - is it because it is cleaner, no additional distortions caused by the soundboard (but present in acoustics too) , or perhaps you listened to CA99 located too close to a wall?

Last edited by Parkher; 11/19/20 06:31 AM.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Originally Posted by ppiioottrr
Kawai - at least pls fix the "awake" beavior pf the touchscreen...The first hit on a sleeping screen shoul just awake it! Don't treat it as a click because we cannot see what we are clicking at.
Originally Posted by Nickram
I would add about the next software needs a fix for an extra tap to wake the screen rather than applying a setting that you can't see. Seems a bit of a daft choice to me.

Thanks, I've reported this issue on our internal tracker.

Kind regards,
James
x

ps. Nickram, you may wish to fix the model name typo in your signature.


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Hello Bill,

Originally Posted by bill_k34
Had a CA99 for six weeks.

Touchscreen doesn't work, still waiting for a repair.

Sorry to hear that. May I ask what is the nature of the problem with the touchscreen.

Originally Posted by bill_k34
In the meantime, settings changes are painful at best as PianoRemote doesn't display correctly on my phone. Even when I can get to the settings, the piano device restarts with defaults each time.

May I ask which phone you are using, please? (make, model, OS version, etc.)

Originally Posted by bill_k34
Nice touch, nice sound, shame about the QC - surely there was a 'check the touchscreen' on the factory's list...

Yes, I believe this is one of the checks performed.

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,439
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,439
When there's a preferred minimum distance from the wall ... is that measured from the back edge of the piano enclosure?
Or it is from the recessed surface of the soundboard?

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Hello Galuwen,

Originally Posted by Galuwen
Sorry I ment 1.06 and 1.08. Are these the latest firmware versions?

Yes, I believe so.

Originally Posted by Galuwen
Faulty app not yet patched either?

Can you be a little more specific, please?

Originally Posted by Galuwen
Just wanted to make sure. As I learned from the past - as soon as new models arrive there will be no patching anymore...

Don't worry.

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
LGabrielPhoto, thanks for sharing the nice pictures - congrats on your new piano!

[quote=LGabrielPhoto]Why is the power cord NOT L-Shaped like the pedal one. I am annal and it bugs me to see the cord so I may try to find an L-Shaped replacement cord for it.

How about an adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9C15RP

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 78
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 78
Good morning.
After some time of using my CA79, I think I understand what some forum users were referring to "buzz noise" .
In my case, I didn't notice it right away because this noise appears with the volume over half the slider. Being a very loud volume, I hardly ever moved the slider past the half so I couldn't hear it.
Many describe it as white noise, but to me it feels more like a "grasshopper flapping" at high frequency.
It doesn't sound like analog distortion noise, but it looks like digital artifact noise.

To give the idea, listen to track no.14 and imagine you hear this noise during playback:

https://www.avosound.com/en/sound-effects/animal/grasshopper/

However, I am still satisfied with my CA79. I expect them to fix software bugs shortly and the virtual technician capability will be available note by note!

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
N
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
N
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
ps. Nickram, you may wish to fix the model name typo in your signature.[/quote]


Whoops, well spotted


Proud owner of a new Kawai CA 79
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 33
H
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
H
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 33
Hi everyone,


Just wanted to share with some of you my disappointment with Kawai France services. I had a CA99 for 3 and a half months, and I've been having some buzzing sound issues since the day I received the piano. I opened a ticket with the technical support of my online retailer, that reached to Kawai, and a technician came to my home to confirm the problem. The person was very surprised when I told her that I noticed and reported the problem in the first 15 days after receiving the piano, because here in France, the retailer should legally have offered to replace the piano and not repair it. Since then (it was like september), absolutely no news from Kawai side. I heard they were lacking the parts for the repair, but it shouldn't have been too costly to them to simply make a call to me to ensure everything was going fine.

I am still waiting for them to reach to me, opened a new ticket to my retailer that mailed them again. 4 months of having a faulty CA99 with a problem noticed right away, no replacement offered (but here it is not Kawai fault, but the retailer's) and no news from Kawai France.

Great...

Last edited by Hikenkami; 11/19/20 10:35 AM.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,683
Hello Hikenkami,

May I ask:

- which online retailer was the instrument purchased from?

- have you contacted Kawai France directly to confirm the current situation?

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 267
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by Gianluca
Good morning.
After some time of using my CA79, I think I understand what some forum users were referring to "buzz noise" .
In my case, I didn't notice it right away because this noise appears with the volume over half the slider. Being a very loud volume, I hardly ever moved the slider past the half so I couldn't hear it.
Many describe it as white noise, but to me it feels more like a "grasshopper flapping" at high frequency.
It doesn't sound like analog distortion noise, but it looks like digital artifact noise.

To give the idea, listen to track no.14 and imagine you hear this noise during playback:

https://www.avosound.com/en/sound-effects/animal/grasshopper/

However, I am still satisfied with my CA79. I expect them to fix software bugs shortly and the virtual technician capability will be available note by note!
I don't hear any such sound. Yet. Better not to hear it, I guess. If I hear it once, I will keep hearing it.
I assume it is heard through headphones as well?
Although there are separate amplifiers, perhaps some separate digital sound processing (for example: does wall setting affects also the headphone output? It shouldn't), so who knows.
I do hear a rather loud resonance of open strings of undamped highest keys in sk-ex rendering mode. It is very noticeable - a trailing pinging after the keys/pedal are released, especially because it is absent in harmonic imaging xl.

Last edited by Parkher; 11/19/20 12:21 PM.
Page 80 of 162 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 161 162

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,667
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5