2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (Christopher90, Anglagard44, Beansparrow, chopin_r_us, 12 invisible), 833 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DanD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Have had 1973 Everett Console for some time. Suddenly realize I want a mellower sound than its crisp, brightness. It's tuned regularly and I may just want a bigger box - fuller sound. Went to local piano reseller, plunked many keyboards...and found I much prefer the warmth of old uprights like Baldwin, Kohler, Lowrey, Knight and Cable-Nelson. Question: should I explore voicing the Everett, or just search for an oldtimer with that sound? Would like to stay under $1000 if I do the latter. Any thoughts much appreciated. Dan

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, Dan, and welcome to Piano World!

I started out with a console, and have gone down the same road you are going down, and ended up with 3 grand pianos, 4 uprights and a digital piano. smile

That said, I have heard that the Everett brand pianos were good pianos, and some of them in later years were made by Yamaha, if I'm not mistaken. I have also heard and read that the older Everett uprights were well made pianos.

So, what you already have is a known entity, to you anyway. You could find a good piano tech, who is familiar with hammer voicing, and have it voiced, but in my view, the voicing will only take the edge off the shrillness and brightness that is already there. It will not drastically change the tone from bright to mellow, though it will be less bright, which would be an improvement to an extent.

That will be your lowest cost option, most likely, unless you find a really cheap upright closeby, or even a freebee, in good condition.

I too like the deep, rich sound of the older upright pianos. But they usually need work of some sort, although sometimes you come across one that is in decent playable condition as is.

You mentioned the Baldwin Hamilton 243. I owned a 243 for a time (a 1985 model), and I enjoyed it a lot. I am speculating here, but I would say, depending on the condition of the Baldwin 243, that it would sound somewhat richer and better than your Everett console, but that is not a given.

Usually, when it comes to upright pianos, the taller the better, in terms of quality tone, particularly in the lower bass section. But there are always exceptions, and there are some smaller uprights out there that sound and play well.

$1000 is not much of a budget to work with when it comes to buying acoustic pianos, but the less you want/have to pay, the harder you have to look for something you like, that might be in decent condition.

Good luck and keep us informed of your decision!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
I still own the 48" Everett Studio Upright that I purchased new back in 1976. It is built like a tank, and is identical to this 1979 model, bench and all.

https://www.piano4u.com/piano/Detail/1076

I became familiar with the Everett brand while a student at the University of North Texas in the early 1970s. The music department purchased several Everett studio uprights for graduate teaching studios because (as the Assistant Dean told me) they were built to be played 24/7.

I'm assuming your console is about 41" tall. Obviously any piano that size - no matter how good - is going to have limitations. I agree with Rickster's observations about voicing your piano. It may take some of the edge off the tone, but probably won't be as dramatic as you hope. Nevertheless, it might be worth a try because......

With a budget of only $1,000 I think you are going to be challenged to find another piano that is markedly better than what you currently have. Of course, there may be some exceptions out there, but the vast majority of Baldwin Hamiltons that I see for sale on line are going for more than that. And of course, the older they are, the greater the chance that they will need some work - including voicing. But if you aren't in a hurry, with persistence you just might find what you are looking for. Best of luck !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Last edited by Carey; 11/18/20 02:43 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
NOTE: Regarding the "free" Weber......Weber's tend to have a more mellow, warmer tone than their Young Chang counterparts. Plus this piano might be newer than the others.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
D
DanD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, Carey... Feel very welcomed...and appreciative. Heeding yours and Rickster's words, am contacting local tech to investigate voicing. But also realize I may have to rai$e the budget a bit.
I check C'sList every AM...and have already missed a couple of winners, by not responding ASAP.
Lesson learned. Dan

D
DanD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, Rick...for the welcome and excellent advice. While I have no aspirations for a warehouse of keyboards such as yours...I am going to find that mellower tone. Probably have to cough up a few more $$...but I'll get there. Thanks again. Dan

Originally Posted by DanD
Thanks, Rick...for the welcome and excellent advice. While I have no aspirations for a warehouse of keyboards such as yours...I am going to find that mellower tone. Probably have to cough up a few more $$...but I'll get there. Thanks again. Dan

You are welcome, Dan! And, Carey gives great advice, as do many of the regular members here. Hopefully, you will stick around, and join in the piano fun! smile

As for a warehouse full of keyboards, I don't have that either. I have two nice grand pianos in my music room (enclosed carport), a Yamaha and a Baldwin, and a nice 48" Kawai upright in my living room, and the rest of my pianos are in my 10'X20' piano shop, built on to my detached garage. Not quite a warehouse, but insulated with a dehumidifier running 24/7/365.

However, if I did own a warehouse, I would be tempted to have it filled with various pianos, of various makes and models, older and newer, because you can never have too many. And, they all sound and play a little different from similar makes and models. smile

Wishing you well in your search for something mellower than you already have!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Carey
NOTE: Regarding the "free" Weber......Weber's tend to have a more mellow, warmer tone than their Young Chang counterparts. Plus this piano might be newer than the others.

To me, that Weber appears to be made by the Aeolian-American Corp., which was before Young Chang acquired the name.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
Originally Posted by Carey

To me, that Weber appears to be made by the Aeolian-American Corp., which was before Young Chang acquired the name.
Good catch Eric. Thank you !! The New York / London reference on the fallboard next to the Weber name as well as the style of the case should have been a red flag for me. Since it was Aeolian built, the piano would be pre-1985 and all bets are off on the tone. smile

Last edited by Carey; 11/18/20 07:50 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Classic Piano Course by Carol Barratt
by TessB - 06/13/21 11:57 AM
My Competition Recordings
by Saffet - 06/13/21 10:14 AM
Just bought a Kawai ES520 - need some advice
by JethroCrabtree - 06/13/21 08:57 AM
Will new piano action lighten over time?
by Alex McG - 06/13/21 07:59 AM
42% Humidity?
by pianoloverus - 06/13/21 06:39 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,487
Posts3,103,230
Members101,801
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission