2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (Emily2Lame, Dr Bekken, DPPianoPhil, Dore, Carey, ando, emenelton, danno858, David B, Burkey, 3 invisible), 599 guests, and 507 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
E
I bought a P115 when I started in June 2018, and I just bought a CA78 last week. I didn't NEED to upgrade yet, but I'm enjoying it.

N
N
It's been about 18 months since i bought my used Yamaha P255 and I am itching to get a brand new clavinova. I was worried it might be "too early" as my non-piano playing friends seem to suggest, but I am glad to see that it's fairly typical!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After five years I still play my Casio PX150. I was thinking about upgrading a lot, until I got Pianoteq and I was very happy again. I don't think I will upgrade until my Casio breaks down. Or until we move into a house, but there is nothing suggesting that will happen any time soon. Or ever. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
R
R
About 5 years from Williams Allegro to NV10. Bit of a shift. Surprisingly - while the Allegro isn't a good action, the 'unlearning bad, Allegro-specific habits' process hasn't been too bad.

It was an Allegro or nothing for me for a good long while - not because I had a fondness for an Allegro, it was because this PianoWorld chorus of 'just save up to get a $1000 keyboard' was a bad joke for about 3-4 years there. It really was 'Allegro, or you will play a spring-loaded 66-key'. I did the best I could, and I liked the piano too much to give it up, even knowing the Allegro's limitations.

So when things got better for me (which they did in a pretty clear step function), I upgraded once and didn't want to upgrade again (until the instrument died completely). I can't say I was actually in the market for an NV10 at the time, that's just how it happened to shake out.

I certainly don't regret anything about it.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Yamaha YDP 181 -> 2 years later -> Yamaha AvantGrand N2 > 3 years later > ??? ... coming soon ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I was gifted a grand piano. Or at least this large black object that looked like a piano. It sounded more like a cat having its tail stepped on. (~1925 Beckwith, sold by Sears & Roebuck)

I had played a little piano as a kid, and the gifted piano got me going again, but after a couple of months of lessons, I realized that it sounded so bad that nothing I could do would ever sound good. I sold that monster and bought a small Kawai console, which was probably 25 years old. It was a big step up. I played it for about 3 years, then traded it in on a much older (1963) Mason & Hamlin 5'8" grand. I have had it for about 5 years or so.

I think the M&H was a step up from the console, but I'm not thrilled with it, I have never really fallen in love with it. I think if I was shopping today instead of five years ago, I might not have chosen this particular piano. I'm a mediocre player at best, but I do play every day without fail. I'm considering moving to an N1X. Although right now I have the space for a grand, and it might make sense to trade the MH for a different grand that I really love, I think it might be sensible for me to move to something physically smaller because I may be moving (downsizing) within the lifespan of the new instrument. The N1X is appealing because it has a grand action.

So, I'm on my 3rd piano. I think that for me, these incremental improvements have been good, because as I have improved in my playing, I have a little better ability to decide what I like or don't like in a piano. When I got rid of the first one, anything sounded and felt better, but I didn't have any experience (or anyone to offer advice), so I was not really able to make an informed choice and ended up buying the first one I played (estate sale).

My opinion is that if you're contemplating a change, get something you like and can afford and if your playing improves at that point start looking to move up. It is possible that you could spend big bucks on what (today) seems like the best thing ever, only to find a few years down the road that you want something else.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
On the road again..... grin

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
My piano gets used quite a lot, and it takes a year or two to loosen up. It'd be a shame to change it before then, but if I feel like it . . . it's a cheap hobby. And i don't smoke - that's an expensive hobby! so my missus cannot complain . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting resurrected thread smile

As a complete adult beginner, 3 months shy of 50, knowing nothing about what I would really enjoy playing, I got an old Yamaha SY77 synth as my first keyboard on February 2018. I really got it as an electronics challenge as it needed lots of work, but my job is in complex electronics repair and it ended working beautifully. So I began to play on it and in April 2018 I began taking lessons on the local Yamaha school. Then I found the need of a weighted key keyboard if I wanted to really learn to play piano. So in May 2018 I got a Yamaha DGX660, as I thought the extra things it had over the ubiquitous P125 were both the extra money.

As the keyboard / piano playing hobby was ignited, I went crazy securing quite a lot of synthesisers, both with keyboard and racked, set up two different areas at home with plenty of hardware (from a Genos to a Machine) and continued my newly found hobby profusely.

Then on February 2020, just weeks before the big COVID-19 lockdown, I went to a big local piano shop for a concert and, well, also to try some nice DPs. But, after lurking on the DP section I was drawn to the acoustic one. Oh my!. I saw several Kawai uprights (K200, 300 and 500) and the shop owner demoed them. Wow!. I also played a bit. And I was hooked.

Even my wife, who was with me, told me it was OK to buy one!. But being realistic, my playing, just two years on the hobby, would not justify spending such an amount on a new instrument. So I decided to look the used market and there it was, a wonderful Yamaha U3H waiting for me to pick it up. I got it still on February 2020, and had it tuned at home on March, just a week before the lockdown!. Perfect timing thumb

It replaced physically the DGX660, which was later sold.

So I was set for the acoustic but, for late night practice, I needed a solution. So I thought on replacing my Genos, which I used with Pianoteq and other VIs, with a good weighted controller. And then a used VPC1 appeared 'just' 370km from me. It was a very good deal, as it came also with several Ivory II VIs, and I got it in July 2020. Since then I have added other VIs to the stash, as VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 and Modern U, Garritan CFX and some others. All bought with good offers which have shown lately.

So, with the U3H and the VPC1 I am set for some years. And on the synth side I am also set, mainly with Genos and Montage 6.

Yes, I have invested quite a lot in a short period, but life is limited and my children are grown up so they don't need so much spending as before. It is my only hobby and I work at home (which lets me play at will) so, why not? laugh

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
M
M
That is quite a story EB5AGV! Happy to see you found a musical companion in the U3H, I do think of piano as my life's core hobby so I'm ready to justify any spending 😅.

I guess the advantage of acoustics is that you can upgrade gradually - my local dealer "buys" back acoustics you bought there for the same price up to 10 years after the purchase, as long as you upgrade to a pricer model of course. It's something I find lacking with expensive digitals like the Avant Grand/Novus lines - although a 5 years buys back would be more realistic - together with more repairability guarantees. (That's where I envy your electronic skills EB5AGV).

I still have an old Roland FP-4 from highschool 😁 and 10 years later, now that I have a stable job, I want to upgrade to some nice hybrid. Or rather, that was the plan before the idea of working 80% remotely was inceptionned into my head by someone here, enabling the dream of living in a house and getting a real grand piano 🤩.

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Beethoven's Sonata No. 17 (Der Sturm) Mv. III.
M
M
For me, it’s about 11 months.... maybe. I started with a Casio px870 last October. I ordered and am now waiting for a Kawai CA79 that’s in shipping. It should be here in a few days.

The reason I say “maybe” is because of some of the negative reviews about the CA79. Kinda scary. I certainly couldn’t tolerate hissing or clicking keys. If it’s noisy I won’t keep it. The only reason I’m upgrading from the PX870 is because of its action...the short pivot length... I don’t like it. The sound of the 870 is very good. No problems there.

We’ll see how it goes.

Muskie

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
My first piano was a Pfeiffer upright, built in the 1920s. It came to me from my grandparents via my parents. The piano is still in the family (in the next generation) and plays very nicely.

At some point my desire to get a grand prevailed and I finally did it, some 35 years after beginning to learn the piano (and this may be the only luxury item I ever acquired in my life).

But I also began to downgrade, to digital pianos, even before getting the grand, for a few specific reasons that an acoustic piano cannot fulfil. Having the acoustic pianos around for comparison, the lifetime of the first cheaper digitals I owned was very short. It took me some time to find a setup I could stand, and I would say the total amount spent on digitals (so far) is about the same as you need to buy a reasonably good acoustic piano.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
C
C
Originally Posted by noakim
It's been about 18 months since i bought my used Yamaha P255 and I am itching to get a brand new clavinova. I was worried it might be "too early" as my non-piano playing friends seem to suggest, but I am glad to see that it's fairly typical!

How do you like the P255? Does the action feel worn out or did you have any problems with it? I'm considering buying a used P-255 for $800 USD. I want to upgrade from my Casio CDP-130

Last edited by casiobro; 11/13/20 03:23 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have bought a Yamaha CLP150 in 2002... and I have just ordered a N1X. 18 years later.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have never found a way to upgrade a piano. Instead I've always replaced them.

J
J
I bought my first digital piano in 2002, a Yamaha p-120. Last year I got my second one, a used Yamaha N1. I think both the pianos are still great.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
M
M
I kept my Casio px-160 for 1.5 year. I then upgraded to my current P-515.
But I regret not going bigger. I played it safe with the money and I was disapointed by the "relative" small leap in sound quality. It has been now 4 months that I consider selling the PX-160 and upgrade again because I feel salty about going too small when I should have pulled every steps to get something grand laugh

Yamaha P-515
P
P
Thanks for the very interesting thread! I too have been considering getting a new Digital Piano. I got the YPG-235, (76 keys, semi weighted) 4 years back but started getting piano lessons only 10 months ago. I was getting inclined to buy Roland's CPF-140 (same as FP-140r) or the RP500 (both on sale currently), but unable to decide which one to get and pushed the idea of purchasing one for another year.

I feel even though my keyboard is not ideal to practice dynamics on, I would rather continue playing on my current keyboard and buy a new one once I have better idea of which features I would appreciate and which one's are worth spending more for. (Example, not all the DP's come with 'half pedal' feature and I have no idea if I would ever use it.) The DP's are so expensive which makes me afraid of purchasing something and regretting it later.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I started with a Yamaha digital, for about $700 back in 2014. A year later I bought a Clavinova CLP 575 which I still have and use it with headphones to give my husband some quiet. When I realized my plans were long term with piano, in 2015 I bought what I consider my lifetime piano Yamaha YUS 5. I probably will never be able to play to the full capability of that piano (I'm 60), however I hire my teacher to play for my family Christmas party and he can make it sing. Sounds kind of sick when I play it, but I love practicing on it.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
F
F
My first piano was Casio PX-720. After 6 years of playing it, the keys started to fall down, so I upgraded to Casio PX-780M. Once Kawai CA-80 or CA-100 releases (maybe in two years), I plan to upgrade to a new or at least used Kawai CA-79, if I'm lucky enough to find a good price, since here in Panama the dealer is asking for an outstanding price ($5,200 + taxes).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Seized up Key Capstans
by michaelopolis - 06/23/21 07:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,675
Posts3,106,728
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission