2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (AlphaTerminus, deadlymajesty, accordeur, Archipelago, anotherscott, 13 invisible), 445 guests, and 574 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I'm looking for a good upright piano that I can bring home, tune and be happy with. I saw a listing for an1917 Elburn (J.W. Music Co.) piano for $550 near me. It looks to have been kept up well and gone through some sort of restoration process at some point, although I have yet to see the innards. The listing provided info that I'll paste below and I'll upload a few pictures. What I am NOT interested in is being sold a piano that upon getting tuned will require additional projects/repairs and restoration work BUT on the other hand if it is in fact in good working order (I should be going to see it soon to find out) I am very interested but want to make a good decision. It's a heavy thing to bring home and I hate to bring home bad news...

While I can't post pictures in these threads here is the link to the post:

Here's the listing post:

Used (normal wear)
Elburn 25623
Full Upright 52”+
Manufactured Especially for J.W. Jenkins’ Sons Music Company
Kansas City, MO
Tiger Striped Oak
For sale by owner, Full upright Elburn piano, serial #25623, made in 1917. Dark tiger-stripe oak cabinet.
All original parts in operational condition.
No cracks or splits in the soundboard or bridges. Soundboard is pristine, with a good coat of lacquer on top.
Pinblock is perfectly tight and will hold any tuning given.
Piano was tuned to non-standard pitch in preparation for this sale by a Registered Piano Technician who is available to answer any mechanical questions about the piano you may have.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
If you think you like it once you go and see/play it, hire a piano technician to check it for you. In the photo, there appears to be a hammer missing in the bass section. In the description it says, "Piano was tuned to non-standard pitch in preparation for this sale..." If it's not at A-440 standard pitch, you should find out what pitch it's at and why. Was the tuning floated high due to the time of year, or is it 1/2 step or more low in pitch?

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Like Eric, I noticed the hammer missing in the second octave or so. It is not necessarily unusual to tune a piano to itself, (below or above A-440) but could also indicate tuning pin issues, or a high risk of string breakage to bring up to pitch.

The description sounds upbeat and optimistic, but I wonder why they didn't mention the missing hammer head?

It is not a bad looking old upright, and the keytops look good, but I don't think I'd pay much for it, if anything. It depends on how much you like it when you look at it in person.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Agreed with the experienced posters, above.
If you’re not looking for a project, a 100+ year old vertical piano in largely original condition (mechanically) is not where I’d typically advise a person to start.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
B
BDB Offline
B
Absolutely not. There are better pianos available on Craigslist in the Austin area for less. (Not including the Mason & Hamlin BB in the nearby Free Stuff, which is probably a scam.)

Semipro Tech
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
If you think you like it once you go and see/play it, hire a piano technician to check it for you. In the photo, there appears to be a hammer missing in the bass section. In the description it says, "Piano was tuned to non-standard pitch in preparation for this sale..." If it's not at A-440 standard pitch, you should find out what pitch it's at and why. Was the tuning floated high due to the time of year, or is it 1/2 step or more low in pitch?
Definitely talk to the Registered Piano Tuner mentioned in the ad.

I checked the Austin Craigslist and found a 1966 Baldwin Acrosonic for $500 and a Baldwin Hamlton upright for $600. Either of these would be a better bet than a 103 year old antique - plus they would be easier to move.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
A 100 year old piano is going to be a project beyond just tuning. Unless it has had major maintenance and then it would be more than $550.

Hammers and dampers would need replacement. Plain and wound strings need replacement and the keys will need rebushing. This is a minimum. Also hammer butt flanges could need rebushing/pinning and wippen jacks would need new springs and possibly bushings as well.

It’s great if you want to, and are prepared to, spend the time, cost and work to bring it up.

But - unless the seller can prove that all those things have been done - don’t expect to drag it home, tune it and be done.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
Originally Posted by WBLynch
A 100 year old piano is going to be a project beyond just tuning. Unless it has had major maintenance and then it would be more than $550.

Hammers and dampers would need replacement. Plain and wound strings need replacement and the keys will need rebushing. This is a minimum. Also hammer butt flanges could need rebushing/pinning and wippen jacks would need new springs and possibly bushings as well.

It’s great if you want to, and are prepared to, spend the time, cost and work to bring it up.

But - unless the seller can prove that all those things have been done - don’t expect to drag it home, tune it and be done.

I have a different philosophy regarding old upright (or grand) pianos. My philosophy is, if you want a new/newer piano, buy a new/newer piano with all new/newer parts, and this is not what you will get in a 100 year old piano, most likely, unless it has had some rebuilding or restoration done in the past.

On the other hand, I believe many older upright pianos from yesteryear still have some musical life left in them, as is, to an extent. Sure, there are likely some things than need immediate repair to be playable to begin with. It depends entirely on the individual old upright piano, and its current condition, which can vary a lot from one old piano to another.

On the other, other hand( smile )if you want to rebuild a warn-out 100 year old upright piano, that is perfectly fine as well. If you pay a rebuilder to do the work, you would never recoup your investment, (which would be substantial) most likely, unless you kept the piano and played it and enjoyed it from now on.

Again, this is just my own opinion regarding old upright pianos, which I happen to like a lot... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I agree. I adore the early 20th century uprights. I’m not talking about a full rebuild (gosh I hate that concept and prefer restoration). But there are lots of things that need attention, beyond tuning, just to make it playable.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Remember that the thing designed to last about 40 years before serious work needed. Too many are brainwashed to believe that pianos are built to last a "lifetime". Pure BALONEY.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
K
K
OP has mentioned that he/she is not interested in a project piano. A vast majority of old uprights fit in a category of project pianos, just like this one. However, unlike piano connoisseur or those in piano industry, an average shopper is looking for a piano, as long as all keys make some sound and keys don’t stick, the piano is considered playable. Pianos for public placement such as train stations come to my mind. Still, those public pianos need some repairs before the placement, In any case, if I’m looking for a piano in $500-$1000 range, I’d wait for a decent studio size piano from the 70s instead.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you so much everyone for the incredible wisdom and support in steering me in the right direction. From what I’ve gathered, this is most likely a project piano and not just a case of mere tuning. I went and checked it out today and it was interesting to say the least. The missing hammer was replaced. Evidently their tuner did some minor repairs but according to them everything is original.. hammers and hardware. It sounded beautiful but out of tune. It’s a beast! I can see it being a money pit. On top of that, from what I’ve read up on this particular piano from Kansas City- its not worth restoring and there’s many of these guys laying around. I took some audio of what it sounded like plunking around on it if anyone wants to hear. The wife of the seller was also very strange and socially awkward. I was sitting at piano playing around and she suddenly felt the need to go into a 10 minute bunny trail about how her front tooth is not real...somehow this was in relation to a joke I made about how the keys were in need of Crest White Strips due to their discoloration but I digress...

I’ll likely heed your great advice and steer away from the costly move and inevitable repairs (not to mention the keys were falling apart and hastily glued with imprecise glue globs. Ugh!)

I’m now looking at a Baldwin I saw in my area for $1000. Baldwin ad

Last edited by Piano_Man_Zach; 11/16/20 02:02 AM.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
“Worth restoring” is something in the eye of the beholder. People do things out of enjoyment or love of the project and the reward is saving something or bringing it back to life.

In your case, though, I think the Baldwin is a much better choice. It looks very nice.

K
K
That Baldwin seems tall enough to have a console action which is much preferred than a shorter spinet. I think it’s worth checking it out.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Piano Serial..
by Jasper82 - 05/05/21 04:21 PM
Need Owners opinion FP-30 (X) vs AP-710
by Raelias - 05/05/21 04:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,736
Posts3,090,168
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission