2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Just curious about who invented or was the first who produced pianos with slow-fall lid.

I always thought/assumed it was Kawai because those are the pianos I first saw with a slow-fall lid. Now I see Boston also has it and who knows which other pianos have the same mechanism.

Does anyone know?

Be yourself

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I'm more interested in the moment a person came to this idea and how that happened. grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A quick Google search came up with the following site:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6946591

The name "Yamaha" is listed several times. So I would guess it was invented by Yamaha, possibly after someone watched the "Cat Concerto" with Tom and Jerry. Especially from 2:55 on. wink

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
1:20

That piano has a revolutionary design in the way the hammers work as dampers as well, I just don't see them all rising when Tom uses the damper pedal. confused

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
In an attempt to avoid reading about election results I did some patent searches. It appears the first patents were filed in the mid 70s in Japan and China and then there was a long history of iterative changes up to the present day. The early devices were attached to both fallboard and piano and included coil springs, scissors, oil dampers, and every other combination of mechanical gizmos imaginable. In the late 90s the Japanese Industrial Standard (which I think is like our ISO standards) specified that the fallboard had to be removable without tools and that led to another round of inventions to satisfy that requirement. Here's a US patent held by Kawai that has pictures and language that's more user friendly than most. A lot of the patents are mixed use, the same device concept that slow closes a fallboard also helps support those computer keyboard trays that hang under desks, or digital piano stands that move up and down, etc.

Someone who has access to asian patents and can read chinese and japanese might be able to infer from those early patents where the idea came from and if it even originated for the piano or if it was primarily used for something else and a piano company saw an application on their fallboard.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Perhaps they stole it from the soft-close toilet lid.

1899 M&H C, 2015 Steinway D
B
B
The first one I've seen was on a limited edition Yamaha C-3 in 1987, their Centennial grand. Not long after that they started putting it on the rest of their C series grands.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oldMH
Perhaps they stole it from the soft-close toilet lid.

Yikes! Is there such a thing?

I've always thought it was inspired by the slow-close cassette players back in the day.

Personally, I don't like them, but can acknowledge that they could avoid safety hazards in some cases.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
When manufacturers stopped using low mass wood and went to MDF, the fallboards became much heavier and a falling board could break a finger.
The slow close is an engineered solution for liability based on accounting departments quest for cost lowering in manufacturing and according to the marketing people it goes from a bug to a feature.

Almost every new shiny object that is pointed out to you is to hide a cost savings elsewhere.

The original Boston Fallboard would never cause this problem, but they cost more to make than many pianos these days.

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 11/04/20 03:33 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Steve, do you realize how many of your posts are very critical of piano makers? Your statement is not at all truthful - just imagined scenario from your mind.

Manufacturers usually add features to pianos because people ask for them, mainly the piano dealers. If one company adds a widget to their piano and consumers and dealers feel it has value, then all the other piano companies have to try to find a way to offer the same widget. It's competitiveness.

Grand pianos were first to have slo-falls because in so many designs the fallboard does close very easily. I have never had my fingers get caught in an accidentally closed fallboard, and I have always felt the slo-fall was not needed. But people want it, and some people feel it makes the piano more safe for little fingers. So we offer it in more and more piano models to remove an objection from the purchase process. Even segmented fallboard can be made with a damping mechanism!

So please, ease off and stop and think that there just might be positive and valid reasons why piano makers do what they do.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
Theses pianos could have used slow-close lids...

stooges piano

1899 M&H C, 2015 Steinway D
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
While case parts like lids have gotten heavier because of the use of MDF, it does not generally apply to fallboards. Many old fallboard include a counter weight to make them less likely to fall, however when they do, that added weight does increase the energy if one does slam down. Others have used a spring that helps hold the fallboard upright. When pulled past the spring, this design does not have any added weight to slam down, just the normal weight of the wood.

I was told before many years ago that Mr. Schimmel had invented or developed the first slow-close fallboard for a grand piano, but I have no specific knowledge.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission